Can receive Outlook 2003 Emails - BUT CANNOT SEND EMAILS

Wayne P.

      24th Feb 2008
My ISP is Comcast and I have a new PC with Vista. Outlook 2003 used to work
fine (on my old PC), but now it can receive emails but will not send. I also
use McAfee Security Center.

When I try to send emails I get the following error messages:

1. Send test email message: The specified server was found, but there was no
response from the server. Please verify that the port and SSL information is
correct. To access those settings close the dialog, then click More Settings
and click on the Advanced tab.

2. Find outgoing mail server (SMTP): Outlook could not connect to the
outgoing mail server (SMPT). The problem could be the server name or port, or
your server may not support SSL. Verify your port and SSL settings in More
Settings under the Advanced tab.

I've tried changing several of the settings, but nothing I do seems to work.
Someone way smarter than me is needed here! Thanks to anyone who can help me
out!

Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

      24th Feb 2008
Did you try using Comcast's web page to set up Outlook properly? Comcast doesn't use SSL. Also, disable McAfee integration with Outlook or at least make sure you have an exception for Outlook in its firewall settings. (Personally, I would dump the entire program.)

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, Wayne P. asked:

| My ISP is Comcast and I have a new PC with Vista. Outlook 2003 used
| to work fine (on my old PC), but now it can receive emails but will
| not send. I also use McAfee Security Center.
|
| When I try to send emails I get the following error messages:
|
| 1. Send test email message: The specified server was found, but there
| was no response from the server. Please verify that the port and SSL
| information is correct. To access those settings close the dialog,
| then click More Settings and click on the Advanced tab.
|
| 2. Find outgoing mail server (SMTP): Outlook could not connect to the
| outgoing mail server (SMPT). The problem could be the server name or
| port, or your server may not support SSL. Verify your port and SSL
| settings in More Settings under the Advanced tab.
|
| I've tried changing several of the settings, but nothing I do seems
| to work. Someone way smarter than me is needed here! Thanks to
| anyone who can help me out!

N. Miller

      24th Feb 2008
On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 19:01:00 -0800, Wayne P. wrote:

> My ISP is Comcast and I have a new PC with Vista. Outlook 2003 used to work
> fine (on my old PC), but now it can receive emails but will not send. I also
> use McAfee Security Center.
>
> When I try to send emails I get the following error messages:
>
> 1. Send test email message: The specified server was found, but there was no
> response from the server. Please verify that the port and SSL information is
> correct. To access those settings close the dialog, then click More Settings
> and click on the Advanced tab.
>
> 2. Find outgoing mail server (SMTP): Outlook could not connect to the
> outgoing mail server (SMPT). The problem could be the server name or port, or
> your server may not support SSL. Verify your port and SSL settings in More
> Settings under the Advanced tab.
>
> I've tried changing several of the settings, but nothing I do seems to work.
> Someone way smarter than me is needed here! Thanks to anyone who can help me
> out!

You may need to use port 587 with 'smtp.comcast.net'. A number of Comcast
subscribers are reporting that Comcast has blocked port 25 access, and
required them to set up on port 587.

I am not familiar with MS Outlook, but you need to find the account
properties location for configuring ports, and change SMTP to use port 587
instead of port 25. No secure log in is required, but you do have to use
your full email address, and set MSOL for "My server requires
authentication". Somebody with MSOL knowledge should be able to fill in the
details of where to look.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come