I can receive email but cannot send it.

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBCb3dlbg==?=

      21st May 2005
I am glad to know I am not alone in this but this is really starting to tick
me off. Charter (my ISP), Dell (who I purchased from) and Microsoft are all
basically telling me that it is the other's fault. I have read all 132
threads here and tried all the helpful insights and nothing corrected the
problem. I have tried emailing with the Firewall turned off and with my
AntiVirus disabled. It all started 3 weeks ago and actually sent for about
30 seconds yesterday (at another location, not connected at home-it hasn't
sent from here in about 2 weeks). Here are my particulars.

Running Windows XP (with SP2-currently completely updated))
Inspiron 600M
Office Basic Outlook 2003 (currently completely updated)
Vexira Anti-virus (currently completely updated)
Windows Firewall

Error messages when sending:

Task Sending’ reported error (0x80042109): ‘Outlook is unable to connect to
your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message,
contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).’

Task Sending' reported error (0x800CCC60) : ‘Your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail
server has reported an internal error. If you continue to receive this
message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider
(ISP). The server responded: +OK InterMail POP3 server ready.’

Task 'Sending' reported error (0x8004210B) : 'The operation timed out
waiting for a response from the sending (SMTP) server. If you continue to
receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service
provider (ISP).'

I get the same error messages with Outlook Express but an IT friend of mine
told me that would be expected since they are both MS products. I haven't
been able to down load any other software to test it (Eudora, etc.).

In SAFE MODE, Outlook will not even open (something about an error in
installation).

I have reinstalled Office at least 6 times.

I have reformatted my computer completely, twice.

Charter says they do not offer secured authentification and haven't changed
to it. They couldn't even offer it to me to try.

I tried Port 25, everything timed out. I switched to Port 110 and now it
quickly gives me the error messages and somtimes times out.

All my email settings are correct and Charter did not have an IP address for
me to try (smtp.charter.net is all they offer to customers). The tech
support said they do own their server and weren't getting from anyone else.
They also said that if I can connect through the Internet (using Internet
Explorer) but can't through Outlook it was an Outlook problem. They said the
connection works the same it just uses Explorer for it or Outlook (the
protocol and server connection is the same).

I think that is everything. If you can get me to send email then you are
the greatest.

Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]

      22nd May 2005
It doesn't sound like you need secure password authentication, it sounds
like you need to log into your server before you try to send. You might also
have to log on to receive before you send.

Your incoming server should be set to 110 unless told otherwise by the ISP.
Outgoing is 25, again unless the ISP tells you otherwise.

In your Outgoing Server tab check "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires
authentication". Leave "Use same settings as my incoming mail server"
selected.

If that doesn't work select the "Log on to incoming mail server before
sending mail".

See if that helps.

--
Ken Slovak
[MVP - Outlook]
Author: Absolute Beginner's Guide to Microsoft Office Outlook 2003
http://www.slovaktech.com/products.htm

"John Bowen" <John (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
> changed
> to it. They couldn't even offer it to me to try.
>
> I tried Port 25, everything timed out. I switched to Port 110 and now it
> quickly gives me the error messages and somtimes times out.
>
> All my email settings are correct and Charter did not have an IP address
> for
> me to try (smtp.charter.net is all they offer to customers). The tech
> support said they do own their server and weren't getting from anyone
> else.
> They also said that if I can connect through the Internet (using Internet
> Explorer) but can't through Outlook it was an Outlook problem. They said
> the
> connection works the same it just uses Explorer for it or Outlook (the
> protocol and server connection is the same).
>
> I think that is everything. If you can get me to send email then you are

=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBK?=

      25th May 2005
I have this exact same problem. One day it was working fine, the next,
without my changing the settings, it would no longer send. I have installed
other mail clients and determined that they work just fine. I've tried the
reinstall process as well, nothing seems to work.

"Johnny434" wrote:

> I too, have this problem. At first I couldn't send any messages and got an
> error message in my system tray but it disappeared too quick for me to click
> on it. I changed to Outlook Express and everything was okay using that.
> I then uninstalled Office 2003 and reinstalled. This time Outlook worked
> okay but only for a day or two. Then the problem returned. Uninstalling and
> reinstallation of Office 2003 didn't solve the problem this time.
> It is a real pain when you buy a product and it doesn't work properly!
>
> "Debbie" wrote:
>
> > I've go the SAME problem. My error number is 554, and ISP
> > says it is not them. Tried the same things, and also
> > deleted and re-added my accounts, and added updates.
> > Nothing worked (yet). Any ideas?

=?Utf-8?B?Z2Ri?=

      26th May 2005
Any resolve with your issue. I'm having the same problem

"Mike J" wrote:

> I have this exact same problem. One day it was working fine, the next,
> without my changing the settings, it would no longer send. I have installed
> other mail clients and determined that they work just fine. I've tried the
> reinstall process as well, nothing seems to work.
>
> "Johnny434" wrote:
>
> > I too, have this problem. At first I couldn't send any messages and got an
> > error message in my system tray but it disappeared too quick for me to click
> > on it. I changed to Outlook Express and everything was okay using that.
> > I then uninstalled Office 2003 and reinstalled. This time Outlook worked
> > okay but only for a day or two. Then the problem returned. Uninstalling and
> > reinstallation of Office 2003 didn't solve the problem this time.
> > It is a real pain when you buy a product and it doesn't work properly!
> >
> > "Debbie" wrote:
> >
> > > I've go the SAME problem. My error number is 554, and ISP
> > > says it is not them. Tried the same things, and also
> > > deleted and re-added my accounts, and added updates.
> > > Nothing worked (yet). Any ideas?

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBCb3dlbg==?=

      26th May 2005
This it the error message I got with your suggestions with Use same settings
as my incoming mail server" and "Log on to incoming mail server before
sending mail".

Send test e-mail message: The specified server was found, but there was no
response from the server. Please verify that the port and SSL information is
correct. To access these settings close this dialog, then click More
Settings and click on the Advanced tab.

On the test settings everything worked but the sending test message, which
has been the problem.

John

"Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]" wrote:

> [...]
> > changed
> > to it. They couldn't even offer it to me to try.
> >
> > I tried Port 25, everything timed out. I switched to Port 110 and now it
> > quickly gives me the error messages and somtimes times out.
> >
> > All my email settings are correct and Charter did not have an IP address
> > for
> > me to try (smtp.charter.net is all they offer to customers). The tech
> > support said they do own their server and weren't getting from anyone
> > else.
> > They also said that if I can connect through the Internet (using Internet
> > Explorer) but can't through Outlook it was an Outlook problem. They said
> > the
> > connection works the same it just uses Explorer for it or Outlook (the
> > protocol and server connection is the same).
> >
> > I think that is everything. If you can get me to send email then you are

Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]

      26th May 2005
Based on that error message you do need SSL, so you need to clear things up
with your ISP.

Unfortunately the code used in sending a message and the test send are
different, so it's not a very accurate diagnostic tool.

--
Ken Slovak
[MVP - Outlook]
Author: Absolute Beginner's Guide to Microsoft Office Outlook 2003
http://www.slovaktech.com/products.htm

"John Bowen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This it the error message I got with your suggestions with Use same
> settings
> as my incoming mail server" and "Log on to incoming mail server before
> sending mail".
>
> Send test e-mail message: The specified server was found, but there was
> no
> response from the server. Please verify that the port and SSL information
> is
> correct. To access these settings close this dialog, then click More
> Settings and click on the Advanced tab.
>
> On the test settings everything worked but the sending test message,
> which
> has been the problem.
>

> John

=?Utf-8?B?Um93aWU=?=

      30th May 2005
I am using Office Professional 2003 & Windows XP. For many days now I have
not been able to send e-mails via Outlook. Albeit that Outlook Express did
allow me to send and a new profile on the same computer also allowed me to
send via Outlook at least one from each. I like others who have reported
this problem deleted and re-established my Email Account detail, turned off
my router, computer etc but to no avail. My ISP provider denies
responsibility and advises that it is a Microsoft Problem. The main error
messages are as follows:

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible caues for
this include server problems, network problems or a long periof of
inactivity. or
Mail.bigpond.com sending reported error Ox800421OB. The oeration timed out
waiting for a response from the sending (SMTP) server. If you contiune to
receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet Service
Provider. or
Task Mail bigpond.com. Sending reported error 0X800CCCOB. Unknown error.

Help please

"pegasus" wrote:

> Yesterday I tried to send emails and I got an error message. I could receive
> but not send. I tried all the usual things several times: turned off the
> computer, turned off my router and cable modem, checked all my connections,
> started fresh. The problem persists. Is this a problem with Outlook?

=?Utf-8?B?cGlzY2VzXzMxMg==?=

      30th May 2005
i have the same problem when it comes to sending out messages. i can only
receive them.

"pegasus" wrote:

> Yesterday I tried to send emails and I got an error message. I could receive
> but not send. I tried all the usual things several times: turned off the
> computer, turned off my router and cable modem, checked all my connections,
> started fresh. The problem persists. Is this a problem with Outlook?

Brian Tillman

      31st May 2005

http://www.google.com/search?q=0x8004210B

http://www.google.com/search?q=0X800CCC0B
--
Brian Tillman

Brian Tillman

      31st May 2005
pisces_312 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> i have the same problem when it comes to sending out messages. i can
> only receive them.

Chances are you're not properly authenticating to your outgoing server.
--
Brian Tillman