Can not view BCC receipents in sent items folder

Lovegdes

      12th Jun 2009
I have a client that sends out mass mailings for various reasons. On some
emails in his sent items folder he is able to see the receipients names, on
others he can not. Why would you not be able to see the receipients in some
emails but not in others?

VanguardLH

      12th Jun 2009
Lovegdes wrote (on Fri, 12 Jun 2009 12:02:01 -0700):

> I have a client that sends out mass mailings for various reasons. On some
> emails in his sent items folder he is able to see the receipients names, on
> others he can not. Why would you not be able to see the receipients in some
> emails but not in others?

Bcc is not shown in the Preview pane. Open the message (double-click on
it) so it is shown in its own window. The Bcc field should appear in
that window. If not, use the View menu to select showing the Bcc field.

Lovegdes

      12th Jun 2009

"VanguardLH" wrote:

> Lovegdes wrote (on Fri, 12 Jun 2009 12:02:01 -0700):
>
> > I have a client that sends out mass mailings for various reasons. On some
> > emails in his sent items folder he is able to see the receipients names, on
> > others he can not. Why would you not be able to see the receipients in some
> > emails but not in others?

> Bcc is not shown in the Preview pane. Open the message (double-click on
> it) so it is shown in its own window. The Bcc field should appear in
> that window. If not, use the View menu to select showing the Bcc field.

Both the emails in question, those with the bcc field showing receipients
and those that are not showing the receipients in the bcc field are being
opened in their own window. The BCC is already set to show.

VanguardLH

      13th Jun 2009
Lovegdes wrote (on Fri, 12 Jun 2009 14:57:02 -0700):

> "VanguardLH" wrote:
>
>> Lovegdes wrote (on Fri, 12 Jun 2009 12:02:01 -0700):
>>
>>> I have a client that sends out mass mailings for various reasons. On some
>>> emails in his sent items folder he is able to see the receipients names, on
>>> others he can not. Why would you not be able to see the receipients in some
>>> emails but not in others?

>> Bcc is not shown in the Preview pane. Open the message (double-click on
>> it) so it is shown in its own window. The Bcc field should appear in
>> that window. If not, use the View menu to select showing the Bcc field.

> Both the emails in question, those with the bcc field showing receipients
> and those that are not showing the receipients in the bcc field are being
> opened in their own window. The BCC is already set to show.

And WHAT is this "client" using to send out his mass mailings?

If no recipients are listed in the Bcc field then the Bcc field was not
populated when Outlook sent the e-mail. But did Outlook send the e-mail
or something else involved in these mass mailings?

Lovegdes

      15th Jun 2009
He is using Outlook (11.8217.8221) SP3. He is using Outlook to send out all
mailings the fields are populated when the emails in question (those that
don't show the BCC receipients when displaying them in their own window).
This was verified by going to a few of the intended recepients desks to
verify that the email was recieved. So, the BCC field was populated when the
email was sent.

Lovegdes wrote:

> "VanguardLH" wrote:
>>
>> Lovegdes wrote:

>>> Both the emails in question, those with the bcc field showing receipients
>>> and those that are not showing the receipients in the bcc field are being
>>> opened in their own window. The BCC is already set to show.

>> And WHAT is this "client" using to send out his mass mailings?
>>
>> If no recipients are listed in the Bcc field then the Bcc field was not
>> populated when Outlook sent the e-mail. But did Outlook send the e-mail
>> or something else involved in these mass mailings?

> He is using Outlook (11.8217.8221) SP3. He is using Outlook to send out all
> mailings the fields are populated when the emails in question (those that
> don't show the BCC receipients when displaying them in their own window).
> This was verified by going to a few of the intended recepients desks to
> verify that the email was recieved. So, the BCC field was populated when the
> email was sent.

Are all the recipients listed individually in the Bcc field?

Or is a distribution list being used in which all the recipients are
specified? There is a limit to the number of recipients in a
distribution list but I don't recall what it is, plus I think the limit
is when using Exchange as the mail server due to the max number of bytes
allowed in the total number of recipients (whereas Outlook used with
SMTP doesn't have this limit).

Is the mass mailing user using MailMerge or some other utility to
generate the mailings (that then go through Outlook)?

If an add-on isn't being employed for the mail mailings, can they be
sent out with Outlook loaded in its safe mode ("outlook.exe /safe")?
This eliminates anomalies created by add-ons which do not get loaded in
Outlook's safe mode.

What security software is installed on this user's host that
interrogates the e-mail traffic (anti-virus, anti-malware, anti-spam,
etc.)?

In the e-mails shown in the Sent Items folder for which their Bcc field
is empty, are all the other fields (To and Cc) also empty?

Lovegdes

      16th Jun 2009
Recipients are listed both individually and personal distribution lists.

The number of recipients limit is set on our Exchange 2003 SP2 server is 5000.

No the mass mailing user is not using mailmerge or any other utility to
generate the emails.

There isn't a problem sending out the emails. The emails are being sent and
it has been verified that they have been delivered to the intended
recipients. Just the receipient list isn't being shown in the BCC field in
the sent items folder when the email is opened.

We are using Antigen on the Exchange servers. No client side anti-virus is
being used to i interrogate email.

All fields on the emails shown in the Sent Items folder in which the BCC
field is empty also have the To and CC fields empty.

"VanguardLH" wrote:

> Lovegdes wrote:

> >> And WHAT is this "client" using to send out his mass mailings?
> >>
> >> If no recipients are listed in the Bcc field then the Bcc field was not
> >> populated when Outlook sent the e-mail. But did Outlook send the e-mail
> >> or something else involved in these mass mailings?

> > He is using Outlook (11.8217.8221) SP3. He is using Outlook to send out all
> > mailings the fields are populated when the emails in question (those that
> > don't show the BCC receipients when displaying them in their own window).
> > This was verified by going to a few of the intended recepients desks to
> > verify that the email was recieved. So, the BCC field was populated when the
> > email was sent.

> Are all the recipients listed individually in the Bcc field?
>
> Or is a distribution list being used in which all the recipients are
> specified? There is a limit to the number of recipients in a
> distribution list but I don't recall what it is, plus I think the limit
> is when using Exchange as the mail server due to the max number of bytes
> allowed in the total number of recipients (whereas Outlook used with
> SMTP doesn't have this limit).
>
> Is the mass mailing user using MailMerge or some other utility to
> generate the mailings (that then go through Outlook)?
>
> If an add-on isn't being employed for the mail mailings, can they be
> sent out with Outlook loaded in its safe mode ("outlook.exe /safe")?
> This eliminates anomalies created by add-ons which do not get loaded in
> Outlook's safe mode.
>
> What security software is installed on this user's host that
> interrogates the e-mail traffic (anti-virus, anti-malware, anti-spam,
> etc.)?
>
> In the e-mails shown in the Sent Items folder for which their Bcc field
> is empty, are all the other fields (To and Cc) also empty?

Lovegdes

      17th Jun 2009
Is this supposed to be funny???

"VanguardLH" wrote:

> Change the chair the user sits upon and move the monitor 2 inches to the
> left. In other words, I've run out of ideas short of flattening his
> host and reimaging it to a known and company-approved base state.

F.H. Muffman

      17th Jun 2009
>> Change the chair the user sits upon and move the monitor 2 inches to
>> the left. In other words, I've run out of ideas short of flattening
>> his host and reimaging it to a known and company-approved base state.

> Is this supposed to be funny???

Made me smile. It's a more elegant way of saying 'The problem has the best
of me.'

I mean, I can personally think of other things to try in terms of seeing
if the data is there, but nothing that would fix it.

You could fire up MDBVU32 and dive into the message properties and see if
its there, but that won't say why OL won't show it (I'm wondering if there's
a data size limit on the Sent Item form that you might be running into).

You could try using a client on a different machine to see if it can see
the BCC addresses, that way you could rule out the client not being able
to show you the data if its there.

If you can reproduce the problem with a new message, you could try sending
it from a different machine and see if that Sent Item shows all the BCC addresses.

You could call Microsoft and pay for support, because, honestly, they know
the software inside and out and might have a better idea what's going wrong.
--
f.h.
Microsoft Outlook MVP

Lovegdes

      17th Jun 2009
I'll try your suggestions. We have Microsoft Premier support. I was hoping
I wouldn't have to call them. Thanks..