PC Review


Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread

Can not open files with japanese characters in the name from disc

 
 
=?Utf-8?B?RXJpayBXaWtzdHLDtm0=?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      19th Nov 2007
To be able to listen to my music at work I burned a DVD containing a number
of music files organised in folders. This was done at home on a computer
running Vista and burned using Nero 7. When I put the disc in the computer at
work (running XP SP2) I can no longer open any files or folders with japanese
characters in their names (and the characters are shown as squares).

Does anyone know why this is so? I have two theories, the first (less
plausible) is that it is because the computer at work does not have support
for East Asian languages installed. My second theory is that I might have
burned the disc with ISO file format and that it does not support such
characters in file-names (would UDF work better?).

--
Erik Wikstr├Âm
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
dobey
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      19th Nov 2007

"Erik Wikstr÷m" <Erik Wikstr÷(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> To be able to listen to my music at work I burned a DVD containing a
> number
> of music files organised in folders. This was done at home on a computer
> running Vista and burned using Nero 7. When I put the disc in the computer
> at
> work (running XP SP2) I can no longer open any files or folders with
> japanese
> characters in their names (and the characters are shown as squares).
>
> Does anyone know why this is so? I have two theories, the first (less
> plausible) is that it is because the computer at work does not have
> support
> for East Asian languages installed. My second theory is that I might have
> burned the disc with ISO file format and that it does not support such
> characters in file-names (would UDF work better?).
>
> --
> Erik Wikstr÷m



It's because Windows at work can't understand the japanese characters, so
replaces them with squares.

You could copy the files to the HDD and rename them. You should be able to
copy them, but many programs may give a "can't find file" error when trying
to open them.

Or install East Asian fonts etc..


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
=?Utf-8?B?RXJpayBXaWtzdHLDtm0=?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      20th Nov 2007
"dobey" wrote:
> "Erik Wikstr├Âm" <Erik Wikstr├Â(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > To be able to listen to my music at work I burned a DVD containing a
> > number
> > of music files organised in folders. This was done at home on a computer
> > running Vista and burned using Nero 7. When I put the disc in the computer
> > at
> > work (running XP SP2) I can no longer open any files or folders with
> > japanese
> > characters in their names (and the characters are shown as squares).
> >
> > Does anyone know why this is so? I have two theories, the first (less
> > plausible) is that it is because the computer at work does not have
> > support
> > for East Asian languages installed. My second theory is that I might have
> > burned the disc with ISO file format and that it does not support such
> > characters in file-names (would UDF work better?).

>
> It's because Windows at work can't understand the japanese characters, so
> replaces them with squares.
>
> You could copy the files to the HDD and rename them. You should be able to
> copy them, but many programs may give a "can't find file" error when trying
> to open them.
>
> Or install East Asian fonts etc..


I cannot even copy them, I guess I will have to burn a new disc without
japanese characters, but thanks for your answer.

--
Erik Wikstr├Âm
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
can I install Japanese characters/IME without Windows install disc =?Utf-8?B?aW1yZXI=?= Windows XP General 7 21st Feb 2012 02:42 AM
Getting Japanese Messages To Display Subject Lines In Japanese In Preview Pane Of Outlook Express D. Spencer Hines Windows XP Customization 0 11th Jul 2006 09:11 PM
Need Subject Lines Of Japanese Emails In Japanese D. Spencer Hines Windows XP Customization 2 23rd Jun 2006 04:04 PM
japanese install from cd vs enabling japanese language on pre-installed english xp. bob@computerisms.ca Windows XP General 4 18th May 2006 05:13 AM
IME Japanese - How to enable the "japanese" help file =?Utf-8?B?U0FM?= Windows XP General 0 31st Jan 2004 05:01 AM


Features
 

Advertising
 

Newsgroups
 


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:55 PM.