How can I make a password for folders?

Ragab

      29th Apr 2008
I wanna make a password for some folders in WindowsXP Professional SP2. Is
there a free and easy way to do that?
--
Ragab

Malke

      29th Apr 2008
Ragab wrote:

> I wanna make a password for some folders in WindowsXP Professional SP2. Is
> there a free and easy way to do that?

XP and Vista do not use passwords to protect resources. NT-based operating
systems use permissions instead. Here is information to help you with that:

How to disable Simple Sharing and set permissions on a shared folder in
Windows XP (Pro only)
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307874

HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions in Windows
XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308418

By default in XP Home, you can only make files and folders under My
Documents "private". Otherwise, to see the security tab in WinXP Home,
restart in Safe mode and log on with an account that has administrator
privileges. To get into Safe Mode, repeatedly tap the F8 key as the
computer is starting up. This will get you to the menu where you can choose
Safe Mode.

Note that the file system must be NTFS, not FAT32.

Passwording of folders is not supported unless you zip them. When you do
(right click a folder, then "send to > compressed folder") and then open the
zip file, you will find an option under file>"add a password". Otherwise,
use third-party software. Google "password protect folders".

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers

Ragab

      29th Apr 2008
Thanks Malke. I know there is no password feature in WinXP. I was asking is
there a safe and free third-party software can be used to password folders or
partitions? There is a trial software called "Folder Lock", but it's just a
trial, and I don't know if it's safe or not, I'm afraid it may harm my PC or
harm the locked folders. Thanks for help
--
Ragab

"Malke" wrote:

> Ragab wrote:
>
> > I wanna make a password for some folders in WindowsXP Professional SP2. Is
> > there a free and easy way to do that?

> XP and Vista do not use passwords to protect resources. NT-based operating
> systems use permissions instead. Here is information to help you with that:
>
> How to disable Simple Sharing and set permissions on a shared folder in
> Windows XP (Pro only)
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307874
>
> HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions in Windows
> XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308418
>
> By default in XP Home, you can only make files and folders under My
> Documents "private". Otherwise, to see the security tab in WinXP Home,
> restart in Safe mode and log on with an account that has administrator
> privileges. To get into Safe Mode, repeatedly tap the F8 key as the
> computer is starting up. This will get you to the menu where you can choose
> Safe Mode.
>
> Note that the file system must be NTFS, not FAT32.
>
> Passwording of folders is not supported unless you zip them. When you do
> (right click a folder, then "send to > compressed folder") and then open the
> zip file, you will find an option under file>"add a password". Otherwise,
> use third-party software. Google "password protect folders".
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> Don't Panic!

Malke

      30th Apr 2008
Ragab wrote:

> Thanks Malke. I know there is no password feature in WinXP. I was asking
> is there a safe and free third-party software can be used to password
> folders or partitions? There is a trial software called "Folder Lock", but
> it's just a trial, and I don't know if it's safe or not, I'm afraid it may
> harm my PC or harm the locked folders. Thanks for help

Don't know since I don't use third-party software that does folder
passwording. I use permissions instead on my operating systems. I have seen
quite a few posts in the MS public newsgroups from people who had issues
with Folder Lock. I have no idea if this means Folder Lock is iffy or the
people using it didn't know what they are doing.

Suggest you look at some of the reputable download sites that have user
reviews and try out some of the programs that look like they'll do what you
want. Make a System Restore point before you try out new software and have
all your files backed up on removable media as a precaution. Then you can
report back here!

Good luck,

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Don't Panic!

Lily

      13th May 2008
This procedure of zipping and passwording seems to be working for me so far
so why would there be a need for anything more elaborate ? Not being
difficult here but I am not very computer savvy so perhaps there is a reason
why this wouldn't be sufficient ? For my needs it seems ok but maybe there is
something here I haven't really grasped ? Perhaps as a "belts and braces"
thing I could also put a password on individual Word documents within the
passworded zip file ?

I don't need CIA level security this is more to protect some documents from
my fairly savvy teenager (actually, maybe CIA level secutity WOULD be good!).
I have simply been keeping these particular documents on a removeable drive
which can be kept secure but that is a bit of a pain having to go get it
every time etc.

I will continue to keep copies of the documents on the removeable drive but
if I could keep at least some on the desktop in passworded zip folders that
would be much more convenient. (yes, there is a password on the windows login
etc but, as I said, I am a belts and braces person.)

I am really not very up with all this stuff so the various posts and advice
here have been really useful !

Thanks

"Malke" wrote:

> Passwording of folders is not supported unless you zip them. When you do
> (right click a folder, then "send to > compressed folder") and then open the
> zip file, you will find an option under file>"add a password".
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> Don't Panic!

Shenan Stanley

      13th May 2008
<snipped>

Lily wrote:
> This procedure of zipping and passwording seems to be working for
> me so far so why would there be a need for anything more elaborate
> ? Not being difficult here but I am not very computer savvy so
> perhaps there is a reason why this wouldn't be sufficient ? For my
> needs it seems ok but maybe there is something here I haven't
> really grasped ? Perhaps as a "belts and braces" thing I could also
> put a password on individual Word documents within the passworded
> zip file ?
>
> I don't need CIA level security this is more to protect some
> documents from my fairly savvy teenager (actually, maybe CIA level
> secutity WOULD be good!). I have simply been keeping these
> particular documents on a removeable drive which can be kept secure
> but that is a bit of a pain having to go get it every time etc.
>
> I will continue to keep copies of the documents on the removeable
> drive but if I could keep at least some on the desktop in
> passworded zip folders that would be much more convenient. (yes,
> there is a password on the windows login etc but, as I said, I am a
> belts and braces person.)
>
> I am really not very up with all this stuff so the various posts
> and advice here have been really useful !

The 'need' for more elaborate means may not exist for you - although I don't
see where anyone said you needed more elaborate means anyway. ;-)

The fact is that beyond encrypting the documents - any 'password protection'
or 'file and folder permissions' you put on a file could be gotten around by
someone with time, physical access to the computer and enough knowledge to
google for answers.

I can see it would be very easy for a savvy teenager (using your example) to
create a new administrative account on the computer - install whatever
hacked software for hacking passwords they need and brute-force their way
into your files. Better yet - they could install key logging software and
just trace what you type and pull out the password that way. And the reason
I mentioned the administrator account thing first - that all but gets you
around the file and folder permissions.

If having a password protected file has kept you confidently safe from
prying eyes - that is what is working for you - go with it. ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP