Can I link *.jpg files to Excel cells?

LAS

      25th Jun 2010
I would like to connect pictures to cells on a spreadsheet. Ideally, I'd
like to connect more than one to a cell. Or to its row. That would work OK
also.

Can I do it?

TIA
LAS

Gord Dibben

      27th Jun 2010
You can hyperlink a cell to an image stored elsewhere or to an image stored
within the workbook.

How you do it depends upon the purpose of the linking and the ultimate results
you are looking for.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 17:26:13 -0400, "LAS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I would like to connect pictures to cells on a spreadsheet. Ideally, I'd
>like to connect more than one to a cell. Or to its row. That would work OK
>also.
>
>Can I do it?
>
>TIA
>LAS

LAS

      27th Jun 2010
1 - How do you "hyperlink" something?
2 - How do you store an image in the workbook?

"Gord Dibben" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You can hyperlink a cell to an image stored elsewhere or to an image
> stored
> within the workbook.
>
> How you do it depends upon the purpose of the linking and the ultimate
> results
> you are looking for.
>

> Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP
>

> On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 17:26:13 -0400, "LAS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I would like to connect pictures to cells on a spreadsheet. Ideally, I'd
>>like to connect more than one to a cell. Or to its row. That would work
>>OK
>>also.
>>
>>Can I do it?
>>
>>TIA
>>LAS

LAS

      27th Jun 2010
I have a spreadsheet of flowers in my garden. Flower names for each row.
Various attributes for the columns. I would like to associate a picture
with each flower. Ideally a thumbnail would be visible in a cell. If not
that, then a way to display the image.

"Gord Dibben" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You can hyperlink a cell to an image stored elsewhere or to an image
> stored
> within the workbook.
>
> How you do it depends upon the purpose of the linking and the ultimate
> results
> you are looking for.
>

> Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP
>

> On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 17:26:13 -0400, "LAS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I would like to connect pictures to cells on a spreadsheet. Ideally, I'd
>>like to connect more than one to a cell. Or to its row. That would work
>>OK
>>also.
>>
>>Can I do it?
>>
>>TIA
>>LAS

Gord Dibben

      28th Jun 2010
1. See help on hyperlink.

2. Insert>Picture.

Gord

On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 18:02:36 -0400, "LAS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>1 - How do you "hyperlink" something?
>2 - How do you store an image in the workbook?
>
>"Gord Dibben" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> You can hyperlink a cell to an image stored elsewhere or to an image
>> stored
>> within the workbook.
>>
>> How you do it depends upon the purpose of the linking and the ultimate
>> results
>> you are looking for.
>>

>> Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP
>>

>> On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 17:26:13 -0400, "LAS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>I would like to connect pictures to cells on a spreadsheet. Ideally, I'd
>>>like to connect more than one to a cell. Or to its row. That would work
>>>OK
>>>also.
>>>
>>>Can I do it?
>>>
>>>TIA
>>>LAS

Cimjet

      28th Jun 2010
Hi Las
How many flowers (Pictures) do you have.
I may have something for you but it's limited.
It's a macro that hides and unhides them when you select its name in a cell. any
cell.
regards
John

"LAS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:i08hvm$15r$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>I have a spreadsheet of flowers in my garden. Flower names for each row.
>Various attributes for the columns. I would like to associate a picture with
>each flower. Ideally a thumbnail would be visible in a cell. If not that,
>then a way to display the image.
>
> "Gord Dibben" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> You can hyperlink a cell to an image stored elsewhere or to an image stored
>> within the workbook.
>>
>> How you do it depends upon the purpose of the linking and the ultimate
>> results
>> you are looking for.
>>

>> Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP
>>

>> On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 17:26:13 -0400, "LAS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>I would like to connect pictures to cells on a spreadsheet. Ideally, I'd
>>>like to connect more than one to a cell. Or to its row. That would work OK
>>>also.
>>>
>>>Can I do it?
>>>
>>>TIA
>>>LAS

Gord Dibben

      28th Jun 2010
See John McGimpsey's site for a sample workbook that shows how to display an
image using embedded pictures and a lookup table with choices based on a Data
Validation dropdown menu.

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/lookuppics.html

Another good source for this would be a sample workbook by Bernie Dietrick.

http://www.contextures.on.ca/excelfiles.html#DataVal

DV0049 - ClipArt Selection -- Select a clipart item from a data validation
dropdown list, and that picture appears in the adjacent cell. Uses
Worksheet_Calculate event code. Excel template from Bernie Deitrick.
ClipArtEvent.zip 30kb 03-Jun-07

Gord

On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 18:05:43 -0400, "LAS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a spreadsheet of flowers in my garden. Flower names for each row.
>Various attributes for the columns. I would like to associate a picture
>with each flower. Ideally a thumbnail would be visible in a cell. If not
>that, then a way to display the image.
>
>"Gord Dibben" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> You can hyperlink a cell to an image stored elsewhere or to an image
>> stored
>> within the workbook.
>>
>> How you do it depends upon the purpose of the linking and the ultimate
>> results
>> you are looking for.
>>

>> Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP
>>

>> On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 17:26:13 -0400, "LAS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>I would like to connect pictures to cells on a spreadsheet. Ideally, I'd
>>>like to connect more than one to a cell. Or to its row. That would work
>>>OK
>>>also.
>>>
>>>Can I do it?
>>>
>>>TIA
>>>LAS

LAS

      29th Jun 2010
In the end I'll have a couple of hundred.
"Cimjet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:i0auue$b2o$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> Hi Las
> How many flowers (Pictures) do you have.
> I may have something for you but it's limited.
> It's a macro that hides and unhides them when you select its name in a
> cell. any cell.
> regards
> John
>
> "LAS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:i08hvm$15r$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>>I have a spreadsheet of flowers in my garden. Flower names for each row.
>>Various attributes for the columns. I would like to associate a picture
>>with each flower. Ideally a thumbnail would be visible in a cell. If not
>>that, then a way to display the image.
>>
>> "Gord Dibben" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> You can hyperlink a cell to an image stored elsewhere or to an image
>>> stored
>>> within the workbook.
>>>
>>> How you do it depends upon the purpose of the linking and the ultimate
>>> results
>>> you are looking for.
>>>

>>> Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Cimjet

      30th Jun 2010
Hi Las
What I got seem to stop working around 70.
This is the macro;
Dim oPic As Picture
Dim pics()
Me.Pictures.Visible = False
For Each oPic In Me.Pictures
If oPic.Name = ActiveCell.Text Then
oPic.Visible = True
Exit For
End If
Next oPic
End Sub
------------------------
The function "Me.Pictures.Visible = False" stop working around 70, it wont hide
the picture anymore.
I don't know if anyone else could solve that problem. I could post a link with a
demo file to show you how it works, it's a DVD listing.
Regards
John

"LAS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:i0dodm$7p8$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> In the end I'll have a couple of hundred.
> "Cimjet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:i0auue$b2o$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> Hi Las
>> How many flowers (Pictures) do you have.
>> I may have something for you but it's limited.
>> It's a macro that hides and unhides them when you select its name in a cell.
>> any cell.
>> regards
>> John
>>
>> "LAS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:i08hvm$15r$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>>>I have a spreadsheet of flowers in my garden. Flower names for each row.
>>>Various attributes for the columns. I would like to associate a picture with
>>>each flower. Ideally a thumbnail would be visible in a cell. If not that,
>>>then a way to display the image.
>>>
>>> "Gord Dibben" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

New Member

      2nd Apr 2013
Here is a small writeup with attached examples for image hyper-linking.
gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Creating-Image-Hyperlinks-32572ae6