can I install Japanese characters/IME without Windows install disc

=?Utf-8?B?aW1yZXI=?=

      8th Nov 2005
My friend gave me his old laptop with Windows XP Pro sp2. But he can't find
the windows discs. I need to add the ability to read and type japanese. Can
I either download the files from somewhere, or else use the XP pro disc that
came with my home desktop computer?

Thanks for any help.

=?Utf-8?B?VEJTSg==?=

      8th Nov 2005
I think you need not have the CD-ROM to install Japanese IME, you can install
it from Microsoft:

"imrer" wrote:

> My friend gave me his old laptop with Windows XP Pro sp2. But he can't find
> the windows discs. I need to add the ability to read and type japanese. Can
> I either download the files from somewhere, or else use the XP pro disc that
> came with my home desktop computer?
>
> Thanks for any help.

=?Utf-8?B?aW1yZXI=?=

      8th Nov 2005
thanks for responding, but the link you provided doesn't seem to work. I get
a message that the download is unavailable.

Btw, I guess I should also specify that I do NOT have Office XP. I have
Office 2000, not sure if that impacts the viability of the file you are
referencing.

Could you either repost the download link or give me the name of the file
that you were trying to have me access. Thanks.

"TBSJ" wrote:

> I think you need not have the CD-ROM to install Japanese IME, you can install
> it from Microsoft:

> "imrer" wrote:
>
> > My friend gave me his old laptop with Windows XP Pro sp2. But he can't find
> > the windows discs. I need to add the ability to read and type japanese. Can
> > I either download the files from somewhere, or else use the XP pro disc that
> > came with my home desktop computer?
> >
> > Thanks for any help.

=?Utf-8?B?aW1yZXI=?=

      8th Nov 2005
ok, I guess it was a microsoft problem because now the link works. but that
is for Office XP users.

Will the download for the 5.02 version work for me with Windows XP but
Office 2000?

Thanks again.

"TBSJ" wrote:

> I think you need not have the CD-ROM to install Japanese IME, you can install
> it from Microsoft:

> "imrer" wrote:
>
> > My friend gave me his old laptop with Windows XP Pro sp2. But he can't find
> > the windows discs. I need to add the ability to read and type japanese. Can
> > I either download the files from somewhere, or else use the XP pro disc that
> > came with my home desktop computer?
> >
> > Thanks for any help.

=?Utf-8?B?VEJTSg==?=

      15th Nov 2005
Yeah, I think you need the CD-ROM, but you may not. But try this:

Go to the Control Panel.
Go to the Regional and Language Options.
In the options window, click the Languages tab.
Under Supplemental language support, check (tick) the box on the left of
Install files for East Asian languages. After that I think it will pop up a
dialog saying it will cost 230 MB for installing them,
Then click Apply and OK. I think after clicking Apply, they will install the
230 MB files. During the installation, it may need the CD-ROM, so erm... I
don't know whether you can try to borrow the CD from somebody,

"imrer" wrote:

> ok, I guess it was a microsoft problem because now the link works. but that
> is for Office XP users.
>
> Will the download for the 5.02 version work for me with Windows XP but
> Office 2000?
>
> Thanks again.
>
> "TBSJ" wrote:
>
> > I think you need not have the CD-ROM to install Japanese IME, you can install
> > it from Microsoft:
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en
> >
> > "imrer" wrote:
> >
> > > My friend gave me his old laptop with Windows XP Pro sp2. But he can't find
> > > the windows discs. I need to add the ability to read and type japanese. Can
> > > I either download the files from somewhere, or else use the XP pro disc that
> > > came with my home desktop computer?
> > >
> > > Thanks for any help.

=?Utf-8?B?VEJTSg==?=

      15th Nov 2005
Sorry, I pressed the Post button accidentally. I'll continue on the next reply.

"TBSJ" wrote:

> Yeah, I think you need the CD-ROM, but you may not. But try this:
>
> Go to the Control Panel.
> Go to the Regional and Language Options.
> In the options window, click the Languages tab.
> Under Supplemental language support, check (tick) the box on the left of
> Install files for East Asian languages. After that I think it will pop up a
> dialog saying it will cost 230 MB for installing them,
> Then click Apply and OK. I think after clicking Apply, they will install the
> 230 MB files. During the installation, it may need the CD-ROM, so erm... I
> don't know whether you can try to borrow the CD from somebody,
>
> "imrer" wrote:
>
> > ok, I guess it was a microsoft problem because now the link works. but that
> > is for Office XP users.
> >
> > Will the download for the 5.02 version work for me with Windows XP but
> > Office 2000?
> >
> > Thanks again.
> >
> > "TBSJ" wrote:
> >
> > > I think you need not have the CD-ROM to install Japanese IME, you can install
> > > it from Microsoft:
> > >
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

=?Utf-8?B?VEJTSg==?=

      15th Nov 2005
Go to the Control Panel.
Go to the Regional and Language Options.
In the options window, click the Languages tab.
Under Supplemental language support, check (tick) the box on the left of
Install files for East Asian languages. After that I think it will pop up a
dialog saying it will cost 230 MB for installing them,
Then click Apply and OK. I think after clicking Apply, they will install the
230 MB files. During the installation, it MAY/MAY NOT need the CD-ROM, so
erm... I
don't know whether you can try to borrow the CD from somebody.

In the same window you press Details.
Under Installed services, click Add.
Under Input language there is a scroll list, find for Japanese and select it.
Check (Tick) Keyboard layout/IME, Select Microsoft IME Standard 2002 ver.
8.1, usually it will automatically show that.
Click Apply and OK.
*Note that if you don't install the East Asian languages files, you may not
see Japanese in the Input language scroll list, also Chinese and Korean, you
may not see them too.

"TBSJ" wrote:

> Yeah, I think you need the CD-ROM, but you may not. But try this:
>
> Go to the Control Panel.
> Go to the Regional and Language Options.
> In the options window, click the Languages tab.
> Under Supplemental language support, check (tick) the box on the left of
> Install files for East Asian languages. After that I think it will pop up a
> dialog saying it will cost 230 MB for installing them,
> Then click Apply and OK. I think after clicking Apply, they will install the
> 230 MB files. During the installation, it may need the CD-ROM, so erm... I
> don't know whether you can try to borrow the CD from somebody,
>
> "imrer" wrote:
>
> > ok, I guess it was a microsoft problem because now the link works. but that
> > is for Office XP users.
> >
> > Will the download for the 5.02 version work for me with Windows XP but
> > Office 2000?
> >
> > Thanks again.
> >
> > "TBSJ" wrote:
> >
> > > I think you need not have the CD-ROM to install Japanese IME, you can install
> > > it from Microsoft:
> > >
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

New Member

      21st Feb 2012
is there no east asia language pack for xp its only for office xp? could I find an office xp and use it only for this problem or would i receive an error.