Can I get list of all of the words in my doc of a specific style?

KRN

      19th Mar 2008
Is it possible to generate a list of all of the words or phrases in my
document that are assigned a specific style?

Thanks!

DeanH

      19th Mar 2008
What version of Word are you using.
If you have 2003, try the following:
Edit, Find, ensure the "Find what:" is empty.
Tick the "Highlight all items found in" check box.
Click the More button, Style, slect the Style you want to find.
Find All.
Close Find Dialog. Copy and then paste the selection where you want it.
Prior to 2003 not all version have this option.
For 2007 go to Home tab, Editing Group.
Hope this works for you.
DeanH

"KRN" wrote:

> Is it possible to generate a list of all of the words or phrases in my
> document that are assigned a specific style?
>
> Thanks!

Suzanne S. Barnhill

      19th Mar 2008
AFAICT, Word 2007 doesn't have this feature, either, which I think is an
unfortunate omission.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"DeanH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What version of Word are you using.
> If you have 2003, try the following:
> Edit, Find, ensure the "Find what:" is empty.
> Tick the "Highlight all items found in" check box.
> Click the More button, Style, slect the Style you want to find.
> Find All.
> Close Find Dialog. Copy and then paste the selection where you want it.
> Prior to 2003 not all version have this option.
> For 2007 go to Home tab, Editing Group.
> Hope this works for you.
> DeanH
>
> "KRN" wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to generate a list of all of the words or phrases in my
>> document that are assigned a specific style?
>>
>> Thanks!

Stefan Blom

      19th Mar 2008
Indeed it is. :-(

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> AFAICT, Word 2007 doesn't have this feature, either, which I think is an
> unfortunate omission.
>
> --
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, Alabama USA
>
> "DeanH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> What version of Word are you using.
>> If you have 2003, try the following:
>> Edit, Find, ensure the "Find what:" is empty.
>> Tick the "Highlight all items found in" check box.
>> Click the More button, Style, slect the Style you want to find.
>> Find All.
>> Close Find Dialog. Copy and then paste the selection where you want it.
>> Prior to 2003 not all version have this option.
>> For 2007 go to Home tab, Editing Group.
>> Hope this works for you.
>> DeanH
>>
>> "KRN" wrote:
>>
>>> Is it possible to generate a list of all of the words or phrases in my
>>> document that are assigned a specific style?
>>>
>>> Thanks!

Tony Jollans

      19th Mar 2008
In Word 2007 you can do it (for Styles) from the Styles Task Pane. Right
click the style and choose "Select All instances".

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> AFAICT, Word 2007 doesn't have this feature, either, which I think is an
> unfortunate omission.
>
> --
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, Alabama USA
>
> "DeanH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> What version of Word are you using.
>> If you have 2003, try the following:
>> Edit, Find, ensure the "Find what:" is empty.
>> Tick the "Highlight all items found in" check box.
>> Click the More button, Style, slect the Style you want to find.
>> Find All.
>> Close Find Dialog. Copy and then paste the selection where you want it.
>> Prior to 2003 not all version have this option.
>> For 2007 go to Home tab, Editing Group.
>> Hope this works for you.
>> DeanH
>>
>> "KRN" wrote:
>>
>>> Is it possible to generate a list of all of the words or phrases in my
>>> document that are assigned a specific style?
>>>
>>> Thanks!

Suzanne S. Barnhill

      19th Mar 2008
Turns out this was a stubborn misunderstanding on my part. Beth Melton had
to hit me on the head several times before she got it across to me that
"Find in" in Word 2007 works the same as "Highlight all items found" in Word
2003. The fact that it works without your having to click a button (as in
Word 2003, where the Find button became Find All) was what threw me off.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Stefan Blom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Oib%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Indeed it is. :-(
>
> --
> Stefan Blom
> Microsoft Word MVP
>

> "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> AFAICT, Word 2007 doesn't have this feature, either, which I think is an
>> unfortunate omission.
>>
>> --
>> Suzanne S. Barnhill
>> Microsoft MVP (Word)
>> Words into Type
>> Fairhope, Alabama USA
>>
>> "DeanH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> What version of Word are you using.
>>> If you have 2003, try the following:
>>> Edit, Find, ensure the "Find what:" is empty.
>>> Tick the "Highlight all items found in" check box.
>>> Click the More button, Style, slect the Style you want to find.
>>> Find All.
>>> Close Find Dialog. Copy and then paste the selection where you want it.
>>> Prior to 2003 not all version have this option.
>>> For 2007 go to Home tab, Editing Group.
>>> Hope this works for you.
>>> DeanH

KRN

      19th Mar 2008
Thanks to for all posts. I have Word 2003 and it worked.

"DeanH" wrote:

> What version of Word are you using.
> If you have 2003, try the following:
> Edit, Find, ensure the "Find what:" is empty.
> Tick the "Highlight all items found in" check box.
> Click the More button, Style, slect the Style you want to find.
> Find All.
> Close Find Dialog. Copy and then paste the selection where you want it.
> Prior to 2003 not all version have this option.
> For 2007 go to Home tab, Editing Group.
> Hope this works for you.
> DeanH
>
> "KRN" wrote:
>
> > Is it possible to generate a list of all of the words or phrases in my
> > document that are assigned a specific style?
> >
> > Thanks!

Stefan Blom

      20th Mar 2008

And I was looking at the wrong tab of the dialog box: Replace instead of
Find, where the command is located...

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Turns out this was a stubborn misunderstanding on my part. Beth Melton had
> to hit me on the head several times before she got it across to me that
> "Find in" in Word 2007 works the same as "Highlight all items found" in
> Word 2003. The fact that it works without your having to click a button
> (as in Word 2003, where the Find button became Find All) was what threw me
> off.
>
> --
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, Alabama USA
>
> "Stefan Blom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Oib%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Indeed it is. :-(
>>
>> --
>> Stefan Blom
>> Microsoft Word MVP
>>

>> "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> AFAICT, Word 2007 doesn't have this feature, either, which I think is an
>>> unfortunate omission.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Suzanne S. Barnhill
>>> Microsoft MVP (Word)
>>> Words into Type
>>> Fairhope, Alabama USA
>>>
>>> "DeanH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Dogwoodnc

      8th Dec 2008
This is a great tip -- and does exactly what I need to do; thanks! I have a
follow-up question. Is there a way to add this to a macro (in Word 2003)?
I've tried recording it numerous times, but it's getting hung up on the "Find
All" command. Any suggestions would be appreciated.