How Can I Fix a Windows Update Error Due To Untimely Shutdown?

Phil Galey

      11th Aug 2010
I have a fresh installation of Windows Vista Ultimate x64. I have a problem
with my computer suddenly shutting off, like someone just pulled the plug
from the wall. I crossed my fingers and downloaded Windows 76 updates,
which it completed with no problem. It then started installing them one by
one. It got through the first 28 and on the 29th one, the computer shut
off. It's labeled as

Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems
(KB969058)

and when I review the update history, everything so far shows up as
Successful except that one, which is marked as Failed. If I try to
re-download and install that one update, I get a dialog box that says "Some
updates were not installed." with a big red X. It also says "Error(s)
found: Code 80242006 Windows Update encountered an unknown error."

Question: How can I fix that update so I can move on and install the rest
of the updates? Thanks.

housetrained

      11th Aug 2010
I would be more concerned as to why your computer keeps shutting down. Is it
overheating?
Meanwhile use system restore to go back to before that update then try
again.

--
John the West Ham fan

(E-Mail Removed)
<><

"Phil Galey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a fresh installation of Windows Vista Ultimate x64. I have a
> problem with my computer suddenly shutting off, like someone just pulled
> the plug from the wall. I crossed my fingers and downloaded Windows 76
> updates,
> which it completed with no problem. It then started installing them one
> by one. It got through the first 28 and on the 29th one, the computer
> shut off. It's labeled as
>
> Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems
> (KB969058)
>
> and when I review the update history, everything so far shows up as
> Successful except that one, which is marked as Failed. If I try to
> re-download and install that one update, I get a dialog box that says
> "Some updates were not installed." with a big red X. It also says
> "Error(s) found: Code 80242006 Windows Update encountered an unknown
> error."
>
> Question: How can I fix that update so I can move on and install the rest
> of the updates? Thanks.

Gene E. Bloch

      11th Aug 2010
On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 13:07:34 -0700, Phil Galey wrote:

> I have a fresh installation of Windows Vista Ultimate x64. I have a problem
> with my computer suddenly shutting off, like someone just pulled the plug
> from the wall. I crossed my fingers and downloaded Windows 76 updates,
> which it completed with no problem. It then started installing them one by
> one. It got through the first 28 and on the 29th one, the computer shut
> off. It's labeled as
>
> Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems
> (KB969058)
>
> and when I review the update history, everything so far shows up as
> Successful except that one, which is marked as Failed. If I try to
> re-download and install that one update, I get a dialog box that says "Some
> updates were not installed." with a big red X. It also says "Error(s)
> found: Code 80242006 Windows Update encountered an unknown error."
>
> Question: How can I fix that update so I can move on and install the rest
> of the updates? Thanks.

I certainly agree with housetrained...

But to answer the question you asked - it is possible to download updates
(one by one if necessary) and install them individually from the downloaded
files. Or just go to the update manager and uncheck the checkbox for the
one that is troubling you.

It sounds like you haven't done this: configure Windows Update to tell you
when updates are available and let you start the process manually. That
would give you the opportunity to unselect the bad one before retrying.

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)

Mark Adams

      11th Aug 2010

"Phil Galey" wrote:

> I have a fresh installation of Windows Vista Ultimate x64. I have a problem
> with my computer suddenly shutting off, like someone just pulled the plug
> from the wall. I crossed my fingers and downloaded Windows 76 updates,
> which it completed with no problem. It then started installing them one by
> one. It got through the first 28 and on the 29th one, the computer shut
> off. It's labeled as
>
> Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems
> (KB969058)
>
> and when I review the update history, everything so far shows up as
> Successful except that one, which is marked as Failed. If I try to
> re-download and install that one update, I get a dialog box that says "Some
> updates were not installed." with a big red X. It also says "Error(s)
> found: Code 80242006 Windows Update encountered an unknown error."
>
> Question: How can I fix that update so I can move on and install the rest
> of the updates? Thanks.

See the following KB article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602

You really need to fix that sudden shutoff issue before you even think about
installing updates. I would start with the failing power supply.

webster72n

      12th Aug 2010

"Kevin John Panzke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Aug 11, 3:59 pm, "housetrained" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I would be more concerned as to why your computer keeps shutting down. Is
>> it
>> overheating?
>> Meanwhile use system restore to go back to before that update then try
>> again.
>>
>> --
>> John the West Ham fan
>>
>> (E-Mail Removed)
>> <><
>>
>> "Phil Galey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>

>> > I have a fresh installation of Windows Vista Ultimate x64. I have a
>> > problem with my computer suddenly shutting off, like someone just
>> > pulled
>> > the plug from the wall. I crossed my fingers and downloaded Windows 76
>> > updates,
>> > which it completed with no problem. It then started installing them
>> > one
>> > by one. It got through the first 28 and on the 29th one, the computer
>> > shut off. It's labeled as

>> > Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems
>> > (KB969058)

>> > and when I review the update history, everything so far shows up as
>> > Successful except that one, which is marked as Failed. If I try to
>> > re-download and install that one update, I get a dialog box that says
>> > "Some updates were not installed." with a big red X. It also says
>> > "Error(s) found: Code 80242006 Windows Update encountered an unknown
>> > error."

>> > Question: How can I fix that update so I can move on and install the
>> > rest
>> > of the updates? Thanks.

> REFORMAT YOUR COMPUTER AND INSTALL OPEN SOURCE LINUX UBUNTU!

Is this Alias 'under cover'?

Phil Galey

      22nd Aug 2010
RE: Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 running on AMD Anthlon 64 X2 Dual Core
Processor 4000+ 2.1GHz
with 3 Gb of RAM

As everyone as been recommending, I replaced my older 350 Watt power supply
with a brand new 680 Watt power supply. Unfortunately, as I expected, the
computer still shuts off. The program that most quickly causes it to shut
off is Microsoft Flight Simulator X Demo. Admittedly, the system does seem
to be able to idle for a long time now. I haven't waited to see how long.

I downloaded CoreTemp64 and I notice that when running Flight Simulator and
flying the jet liner, Core 1 is maxed at 100% usage and the temperature
eventually gets past 100° C. Core 2 on the other hand stays basically idle,
with about 4% usage and the temperature maintaining at about 20° cooler than
Core 1. So as I suspected, it does look like I have an overheating problem.

The CPU fan is running at over 3300 rpm. Do I have a bad CPU, or might it
be something else?

Phillip

"Mark Adams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Phil Galey" wrote:
>
>> I have a fresh installation of Windows Vista Ultimate x64. I have a
>> problem
>> with my computer suddenly shutting off, like someone just pulled the plug
>> from the wall. I crossed my fingers and downloaded Windows 76 updates,
>> which it completed with no problem. It then started installing them one
>> by
>> one. It got through the first 28 and on the 29th one, the computer shut
>> off. It's labeled as
>>
>> Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems
>> (KB969058)
>>
>> and when I review the update history, everything so far shows up as
>> Successful except that one, which is marked as Failed. If I try to
>> re-download and install that one update, I get a dialog box that says
>> "Some
>> updates were not installed." with a big red X. It also says "Error(s)
>> found: Code 80242006 Windows Update encountered an unknown error."
>>
>> Question: How can I fix that update so I can move on and install the
>> rest
>> of the updates? Thanks.
>>

> See the following KB article:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602
>
> You really need to fix that sudden shutoff issue before you even think
> about
> installing updates. I would start with the failing power supply.

Dominic Payer

      22nd Aug 2010
It might be a dust mat accumulated between the CPU fan and the heat
sink, so the CPU is not being cooled.

On 22/08/2010 17:39, Phil Galey wrote:

> The CPU fan is running at over 3300 rpm. Do I have a bad CPU, or might
> it be something else?
>
> Phillip

Banned

      3rd Feb 2012
To fix Windows update error due to unexpected shutdown, you may try an automatic fix tool which lets you to fix windows update error in a complete manner.

Error Code 66A