How can I fix page numbers so the number isn't cut off?

=?Utf-8?B?UGVyZnVtZXI=?=

      5th Mar 2007
I recently added Word 2007, and I don't know if this is the cause of the
problem, but I was having such difficulty learning it, I'm using my old Word
2003 every day. On both programs, when I try to insert a page number, the
tops of all the numbers are cut off, whether they're at the top or bottom of
the page. This never happened before, and I can't figure out how to fix it.

Graham Mayor

      6th Mar 2007
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...sDontPrint.htm

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

Perfumer wrote:
> I recently added Word 2007, and I don't know if this is the cause of
> the problem, but I was having such difficulty learning it, I'm using
> my old Word 2003 every day. On both programs, when I try to insert a
> page number, the tops of all the numbers are cut off, whether they're
> at the top or bottom of the page. This never happened before, and I
> can't figure out how to fix it.

=?Utf-8?B?UGVyZnVtZXI=?=

      6th Mar 2007

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

> http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...sDontPrint.htm

I went through everything here. BTW, my page numbers at the bottom AND top
of the page are cut off. The top half of the number. My margins are very
generous for the page and I increased the default footer and header margins
to .7. I have a new Lexmark printer. Even when I highlight the number when
I'm viewing headers and footers, so that I could move the number, it's still
cut off inside the move box. Top half is just chopped off.

Jay Freedman

      6th Mar 2007
Select the number and then go to the Format > Paragraph dialog. Your symptom
is what happens when the line spacing is set to "Exactly" a certain number
of points and it's less than the height of the text. If that's the case, set
the line spacing to "Single" or "At Least". Further, if that fixes it for
the selected number, change the definition of the paragraph style in the
same way to fix all the other page numbers.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Perfumer wrote:
> "Graham Mayor" wrote:
>
>> http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...sDontPrint.htm
>>

> I went through everything here. BTW, my page numbers at the bottom
> AND top of the page are cut off. The top half of the number. My
> margins are very generous for the page and I increased the default
> footer and header margins to .7. I have a new Lexmark printer. Even
> when I highlight the number when I'm viewing headers and footers, so
> that I could move the number, it's still cut off inside the move box.
> Top half is just chopped off.

Suzanne S. Barnhill

      6th Mar 2007
If you inserted the numbers using the Insert | Page Numbers command, they're
in a frame. Although the frame is set for Auto size in both directions,
sometimes it doesn't behave that way; if you increased the font size,
there's a good chance the frame is too small.

A more likely explanation, though, is Jay's, that you're using Exactly line
spacing. If you modified Normal to have exact line spacing, then every style
based on Normal (which includes Header and Footer) will be effected; this is
why I recommend not modifying Normal style in any way beyond font; see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...BodyStyles.htm

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Perfumer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Graham Mayor" wrote:
>
> > http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...sDontPrint.htm
> >

> I went through everything here. BTW, my page numbers at the bottom AND top
> of the page are cut off. The top half of the number. My margins are very
> generous for the page and I increased the default footer and header

margins
> to .7. I have a new Lexmark printer. Even when I highlight the number

when
> I'm viewing headers and footers, so that I could move the number, it's

still
> cut off inside the move box. Top half is just chopped off.

=?Utf-8?B?UGVyZnVtZXI=?=

      9th Mar 2007

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

> Select the number and then go to the Format > Paragraph dialog. Your symptom
> is what happens when the line spacing is set to "Exactly" a certain number
> of points and it's less than the height of the text. If that's the case, set
> the line spacing to "Single" or "At Least". Further, if that fixes it for
> the selected number, change the definition of the paragraph style in the
> same way to fix all the other page numbers.

Yes, that fixed the chopped-off numbers problem. Now there's another one!
Starting in the middle of page 7 of the document, I have formatted that there
are two columns for a long list of names, about 200. After that two column
format, I go back to one column for more text.

The page numbers stop at 7, where the two-column begins, and never start
again. Can you help? TIA.

Suzanne S. Barnhill

      9th Mar 2007
In the section(s) where you don't have page numbers, View | Header and
Footer and click on the Insert Page Number button. In Format Page Number,
make sure that the numbering is set to "Continue from previous sections."