Can download Defender....Will NOT install

=?Utf-8?B?VGhlU2NhbnRyb25tYW4=?=

      6th Oct 2006
I got Windows Live OneCare and installed it. I got the yellow light telling
me to take the action of downloading Windows Defender. Apparently this is
impossible. I downloaded the installer packager with no trouble. However,
when I tried to install it I got a message telling me to install the Windows
Installer Package 3.1. I did that with no problems as well.

When I tried to start the install again, I now always get a message saying
this:

A required update to Windows Update is available at the Windows Update
website (how's that for a redudant sentence). To view a list of all
installation requirements, visit the Microsoft website:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=63848.

I go there and it lets me know the requirements for this program.........all
of which I already have. My automatic updates are all turned on. I
contacted Microsoft support and the customer service rep informs me that
there is only web support for Defender, no phone support. So........how is
it that I am supposed to install this program? Surely I'm not the only one
this has happened to.

Dave M

      6th Oct 2006
No, you most definatly are not the only one, and if you had searched for
the link:
for example, you'd find the hundreds of other people that have gotten that
same
message, and asked about it in these newsgroups. Here's the usual
suggestion:

The general response to such install problems is to keep going back to
Windows Update, doing Express scans, until no more updates are offered.

--

Regards, Dave

TheScantronman wrote:
> I got Windows Live OneCare and installed it. I got the yellow light
> telling me to take the action of downloading Windows Defender.
> Apparently this is impossible. I downloaded the installer packager with
> no trouble. However, when I tried to install it I got a message telling
> me to install the Windows Installer Package 3.1. I did that with no
> problems as well.
>
> When I tried to start the install again, I now always get a message
> saying this:
>
> A required update to Windows Update is available at the Windows Update
> website (how's that for a redudant sentence). To view a list of all
> installation requirements, visit the Microsoft website:
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=63848.
>
> I go there and it lets me know the requirements for this
> program.........all of which I already have. My automatic updates are
> all turned on. I contacted Microsoft support and the customer service
> rep informs me that there is only web support for Defender, no phone
> support. So........how is it that I am supposed to install this
> program? Surely I'm not the only one this has happened to.

=?Utf-8?B?RW5nZWw=?=

      6th Oct 2006
--I'd recommend re-downloading, and saving to a known location--like the
desktop.

After the download is complete, disable real-time protection by your
antivirus for long enough to do the installation.

(Stop all programs that are open in the bottom taskbar) etc. etc.. This
may be worth trying in your cªse.

I hope this post is helpful, let us know how it works ºut.
Еиçеl
--

"TheScantronman" wrote:

> I got Windows Live OneCare and installed it. I got the yellow light telling
> me to take the action of downloading Windows Defender. Apparently this is
> impossible. I downloaded the installer packager with no trouble. However,
> when I tried to install it I got a message telling me to install the Windows
> Installer Package 3.1. I did that with no problems as well.
>
> When I tried to start the install again, I now always get a message saying
> this:
>
> A required update to Windows Update is available at the Windows Update
> website (how's that for a redudant sentence). To view a list of all
> installation requirements, visit the Microsoft website:
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=63848.
>
> I go there and it lets me know the requirements for this program.........all
> of which I already have. My automatic updates are all turned on. I
> contacted Microsoft support and the customer service rep informs me that
> there is only web support for Defender, no phone support. So........how is
> it that I am supposed to install this program? Surely I'm not the only one
> this has happened to.

=?Utf-8?B?VGhlU2NhbnRyb25tYW4=?=

      6th Oct 2006
Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not (I'm going to assume you are classy
and therefore aren't), I did research the problem fairly extensively before I
resorted to posting here in the hopes that there was something I missed.

But it is evident that with these products that the generic answer always
seems to be the definitive one.

"Dave M" wrote:

> No, you most definatly are not the only one, and if you had searched for
> the link:
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=63848
> for example, you'd find the hundreds of other people that have gotten that
> same
> message, and asked about it in these newsgroups. Here's the usual
> suggestion:
>
> The general response to such install problems is to keep going back to
> Windows Update, doing Express scans, until no more updates are offered.
>
> --
>
> Regards, Dave

Bill Sanderson MVP

      6th Oct 2006
I'm unclear about whether you've followed Dave M's advice (which is what I
would give) yet?

--

news:(E-Mail Removed)...