How can I convert Outlook 2003 .ost to a .pst (need for data rec.

=?Utf-8?B?VC4gQm93c2g=?=

      15th Apr 2005
My laptop crashed. I had copied .ost to my personal PC about a week prior.
I would like to be able to open the .ost on my personal PC. Both were using
Outlook 2003. laptop had exchange server. Personal PC was POP3. I think I
need to convert .ost to .pst. Unfortuantely, I can not find a reasonable way
to do this. It appears that there is $600 software that could do it.

My calendar and contacts are most important info.

Many Thanx!

Hal Hostetler [MVP S/U]

      16th Apr 2005
Since the .OST file is a mirror image of your Exchange Mailbox, you should
only have to re-install Outlook 2003 on your laptop, set it up for offline
use, and reconnect to the Exchange Server. A new .OST will be created for
you. The only situation where you'd need to covert .OST to .PST would be if
your Exchange Mailbox were deleted and the .OST is the only copy of the data
you have.

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- (E-Mail Removed)

"T. Bowsh" <T. (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My laptop crashed. I had copied .ost to my personal PC about a week

prior.
> I would like to be able to open the .ost on my personal PC. Both were

using
> Outlook 2003. laptop had exchange server. Personal PC was POP3. I think

> need to convert .ost to .pst. Unfortuantely, I can not find a reasonable

way
> to do this. It appears that there is $600 software that could do it.
>
> My calendar and contacts are most important info.
>
> Many Thanx!

=?Utf-8?B?VC4gQm93c2g=?=

      16th Apr 2005
Hi Hal,
Thank you. Unfortunately, I will not be able to access the exchange server
for over a week. It resides on my company VPN and I will not be able to get
a newly provisioned laptop until week of 4/25.

I had copied some files to my PC just prior top my hard drive failing as I
suspected there was a problem. (I should have converted to .pst at that
point.). I would greatly appreciate any insight in how to recover this info
w/o access to an Exchange server or $600 software. Based on my search of
other posts, this seems surprisingly impossible.

Please feel free to ffer any additional thoughts.

Cheers,Tom

"Hal Hostetler [MVP S/U]" wrote:

> Since the .OST file is a mirror image of your Exchange Mailbox, you should
> only have to re-install Outlook 2003 on your laptop, set it up for offline
> use, and reconnect to the Exchange Server. A new .OST will be created for
> you. The only situation where you'd need to covert .OST to .PST would be if
> your Exchange Mailbox were deleted and the .OST is the only copy of the data
> you have.
>
> Hal
> --
> Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- (E-Mail Removed)
> Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-S/U -- WA7BGX
> Still Cadillacin' - www.badnewsbluesband.com
>
> "T. Bowsh" <T. (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > My laptop crashed. I had copied .ost to my personal PC about a week

> prior.
> > I would like to be able to open the .ost on my personal PC. Both were

> using
> > Outlook 2003. laptop had exchange server. Personal PC was POP3. I think

> > need to convert .ost to .pst. Unfortuantely, I can not find a reasonable

> way
> > to do this. It appears that there is $600 software that could do it.
> >
> > My calendar and contacts are most important info.
> >
> > Many Thanx!

Hal Hostetler [MVP S/U]

      18th Apr 2005
Here's Microsoft's take on it:

OL2000: (CW) How to Recover Offline Folder Information
XCLN: Restoring from an OST after Deleting the Mailbox

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- (E-Mail Removed)

news:(E-Mail Removed)...