how can I convert a *.lwp to word

=?Utf-8?B?bG9yZHJhc3RpbGlhbg==?=

      26th Oct 2004
I had lotus smartsuite 97 on an old computer and I backed up some documents.
I cannot find that disk anymore and now I have officeXP installed and am
trying to figure out how to open up those old *.lwp files. Any help would be
appreciated.

=?Utf-8?B?Z2FyZmllbGQtbi1vZGll?=

      26th Oct 2004
Word does not have a converter for Lotus WordPro files. You might consider a
third-party conversion program such as DataViz or Conversions Plus.

"lordrastilian" wrote:

> I had lotus smartsuite 97 on an old computer and I backed up some documents.
> I cannot find that disk anymore and now I have officeXP installed and am
> trying to figure out how to open up those old *.lwp files. Any help would be
> appreciated.

Graham Mayor

      27th Oct 2004
Having briefly checked the web sites these products do not convert appear to
handle Word Pro files. I know of no converter for WordPro to Word.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

garfield-n-odie wrote:
> Word does not have a converter for Lotus WordPro files. You might
> consider a third-party conversion program such as DataViz or
> Conversions Plus.
>
> "lordrastilian" wrote:
>
>> I had lotus smartsuite 97 on an old computer and I backed up some
>> documents. I cannot find that disk anymore and now I have officeXP
>> installed and am trying to figure out how to open up those old *.lwp
>> files. Any help would be appreciated.

garfield-n-odie

      27th Oct 2004
http://www.dataviz.com/products/conv...translist.html says
it can import from and export to Word Pro 96, 97, 98, Millennium (9.5).

Graham Mayor wrote:
> Having briefly checked the web sites these products do not convert appear to
> handle Word Pro files. I know of no converter for WordPro to Word.

garfield-n-odie

      27th Oct 2004
But I haven't tried it myself.

garfield-n-odie wrote:

> http://www.dataviz.com/products/conv...translist.html says
> it can import from and export to Word Pro 96, 97, 98, Millennium (9.5).
>
> Graham Mayor wrote:
>
>> Having briefly checked the web sites these products do not convert
>> appear to
>> handle Word Pro files. I know of no converter for WordPro to Word.

Graham Mayor

      27th Oct 2004
I stand corrected - my eyes glazed over before I dug down as far as that
particular page

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

garfield-n-odie wrote:
> But I haven't tried it myself.
>
> garfield-n-odie wrote:
>
>> http://www.dataviz.com/products/conv...translist.html
>> says it can import from and export to Word Pro 96, 97, 98,
>> Millennium (9.5).
>>
>> Graham Mayor wrote:
>>
>>> Having briefly checked the web sites these products do not convert
>>> appear to
>>> handle Word Pro files. I know of no converter for WordPro to Word.

Joseph N.

      28th Oct 2004
On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 06:44:34 GMT, Graham Mayor wrote:

> Having briefly checked the web sites these products do not
> convert appear to handle Word Pro files. I know of no converter
> for WordPro to Word

Sorry I missed the beginning of this thread. There are two
solutions in addition to the DataViz solution (which I don't know
anything about personally). The best solution is to use Lotus Word
Pro, which is part of Lotus SmartSuite, which is very reasonably
priced. From resellers, it's downright cheap. The later the
version the better the conversion. The more advanced formatting,
however, the more problems; there are some Word Pro features that
are either implemented differently in Word or do not exist in Word.
On the whole, I've had good success, especially if the Word Pro
user first applies the msword.mwp SmartMaster to the document. The
other solution, which I mention only to be thorough, not because I
think it's a good solution, is that StarOffice (not OpenOffice) is
said to have an import converter from LWP and an export into Word.
How well either work is something I know nothing about, and I
cannot see any reason to go that route instead of just buying
SmartSuite or asking the person who sends you the files to convert
them into Word.

If you need only to view the file, not to edit it, you can find a
Verity Key viewer--or something like that--on the IBM web site,
which can be used to view Word Pro files.

--
JN

jbn 'won'oh'won'six'won' at fastmail.fm
Remove spaces, and substitute digits for the words between " ' "