How can I completely wipe my entire system and do a fresh install

dev

      28th Dec 2004
Hi, I have just migrated from windows 98 running on a dan pentium 2.

I now have a dell 4700 and I want to do a fresh install, but I can't work
out how to delete and clean the entire system and do a fresh install in the
same way.

My "dareks boot and nuke" floppy "destroyer" disc wont' work, and my windows
98 disc in which I knew how to "format" is not working either??

It allways pops up, I did a fresh install but the system outfoxed me and I
found I had TWO installations of XP now I am really wondering if this is
something to do with the computer itself.

Anybody who can advise me how to do a simple clean sweep format I would be
most appreciative

ByTor

      28th Dec 2004
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/(E-Mail Removed),
dev says...

> Hi, I have just migrated from windows 98 running on a dan pentium 2.
>
> I now have a dell 4700 and I want to do a fresh install, but I can't work
> out how to delete and clean the entire system and do a fresh install in the
> same way.
>
> My "dareks boot and nuke" floppy "destroyer" disc wont' work, and my windows
> 98 disc in which I knew how to "format" is not working either??
>
> It allways pops up, I did a fresh install but the system outfoxed me and I
> found I had TWO installations of XP now I am really wondering if this is
> something to do with the computer itself.
>
> Anybody who can advise me how to do a simple clean sweep format I would be
> most appreciative

I sometimes find it's just easier, without 3rd party partitioning
software, to just get the utility disk for your type Hdrive and quick
low level the drive........This will wipe it NO matter what's on the
drive.....After you're done boot to your OS CD & let the setup format
your HD...........

Carey Frisch [MVP]

      28th Dec 2004
The Windows XP CD is bootable and contains all the tools necessary
to partition and format your drive. Follow this procedure and allow
Windows XP to partition and format your drive:

NOTE: It would be best to physically disconnect all your peripheral hardware
devices, except the monitor, mouse and keyboard, before installing XP.

NOTE: If you have an internal Zip Drive installed, physically disconnect the
EIDE and power cable to it before proceeding, otherwise your main
hard drive may not be assigned the customary C: drive letter.
After installing Windows XP, you may then reconnect it.

1. Open your BIOS and set your "CD Drive as the first bootable device".

===> Accessing Motherboard BIOS
===> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

2. Insert your Windows XP CD in the CD Drive and reboot your computer.
3. You'll see a message to boot to the CD....follow the instructions.
4. The setup menu will appear and you should elect to delete all the existing
Windows partitions, then create a new partition, then format the primary
partition (preferably NTFS) and proceed to install Windows XP.

5. Clean Install Windows XP

[Courtesy of Michael Stevens, MS-MVP]

6. ==> Immediately after installing Windows XP, turn on XP's Firewall.
==> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...t/default.aspx

7. After Windows XP is installed, visit the Windows Update website
and download the available "Critical Updates".

8. After installing the critical updates, be sure and visit the support website
of the manufacturer of the computer to download and install any
available Windows XP compatible drivers, such as video adapter
and audio drivers.

9. If you happen to run into any installation difficulties, use the following resources:

How to Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation

Troubleshooting Windows XP Setup

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"dev" wrote:

| Hi, I have just migrated from windows 98 running on a dan pentium 2.
|
| I now have a dell 4700 and I want to do a fresh install, but I can't work
| out how to delete and clean the entire system and do a fresh install in the
| same way.
|
| My "dareks boot and nuke" floppy "destroyer" disc wont' work, and my windows
| 98 disc in which I knew how to "format" is not working either??
|
| It allways pops up, I did a fresh install but the system outfoxed me and I
| found I had TWO installations of XP now I am really wondering if this is
| something to do with the computer itself.
|
| Anybody who can advise me how to do a simple clean sweep format I would be
| most appreciative

dev

      28th Dec 2004

"ByTor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>> Anybody who can advise me how to do a simple clean sweep format I would
>> be
>> most appreciative

> I sometimes find it's just easier, without 3rd party partitioning
> software, to just get the utility disk for your type Hdrive and quick
> low level the drive........This will wipe it NO matter what's on the
> drive.....After you're done boot to your OS CD & let the setup format
> your HD...........

Hi That is fine, I have nothing that needs to be really destroyed for
security reasons only I want to make sure I wipe away any mistakes of my
meddling or any viruses that have gotten onto it, I just want the knowledge
that I am starting from the best possible installation of windows XP now
that I have found my way around it.

what do you mean by getting the utlity disc for your type H drive?

Any ideas where I can find the easiest possible method of doing what you
suggest, it sounds like that is all that is needed, just a general format
would be fine.

Malke

      28th Dec 2004
dev wrote:

> Hi, I have just migrated from windows 98 running on a dan pentium 2.
>
> I now have a dell 4700 and I want to do a fresh install, but I can't
> work out how to delete and clean the entire system and do a fresh
> install in the same way.
>
> My "dareks boot and nuke" floppy "destroyer" disc wont' work, and my
> windows 98 disc in which I knew how to "format" is not working
> either??
>
> It allways pops up, I did a fresh install but the system outfoxed me
> and I found I had TWO installations of XP now I am really wondering if
> this is something to do with the computer itself.
>
> Anybody who can advise me how to do a simple clean sweep format I
> would be most appreciative

You have a new Dell and you want to do a clean install? Dell provides an
operating system disk which is bootable. You boot with it and take
installation. Then you need to delete the current os partition and
create a new one. This has nothing to do with the "computer itself" but
rather that you didn't install correctly. Here is a link to help you
with installing Windows:

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

dev

      28th Dec 2004

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The Windows XP CD is bootable and contains all the tools necessary
> to partition and format your drive. Follow this procedure and allow
> Windows XP to partition and format your drive:
>
> NOTE: It would be best to physically disconnect all your peripheral
> hardware
> devices, except the monitor, mouse and keyboard, before
> installing XP.
>
> NOTE: If you have an internal Zip Drive installed, physically disconnect
> the
> EIDE and power cable to it before proceeding, otherwise your
> main
> hard drive may not be assigned the customary C: drive letter.
> After installing Windows XP, you may then reconnect it.
>
> 1. Open your BIOS and set your "CD Drive as the first bootable device".
>
> ===> Accessing Motherboard BIOS
> ===> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm
>
> 2. Insert your Windows XP CD in the CD Drive and reboot your computer.
> 3. You'll see a message to boot to the CD....follow the instructions.
> 4. The setup menu will appear and you should elect to delete all the
> existing
> Windows partitions, then create a new partition, then format the
> primary
> partition (preferably NTFS) and proceed to install Windows XP.
>
> 5. Clean Install Windows XP
> http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Thankyou for that info, the bit I got stuck on last time was the bit where
it asked you if you want to delete this or that partition,
I chose not to delete so I ended up with several instances of Windows..

dev

      28th Dec 2004

"Malke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> dev wrote:
>
>> Hi, I have just migrated from windows 98 running on a dan pentium 2.
>>
>> I now have a dell 4700 and I want to do a fresh install, but I can't
>> work out how to delete and clean the entire system and do a fresh
>> install in the same way.
>>
>> My "dareks boot and nuke" floppy "destroyer" disc wont' work, and my
>> windows 98 disc in which I knew how to "format" is not working
>> either??
>>
>> It allways pops up, I did a fresh install but the system outfoxed me
>> and I found I had TWO installations of XP now I am really wondering if
>> this is something to do with the computer itself.
>>
>> Anybody who can advise me how to do a simple clean sweep format I
>> would be most appreciative

> You have a new Dell and you want to do a clean install? Dell provides an
> operating system disk which is bootable. You boot with it and take
> installation. Then you need to delete the current os partition and
> create a new one. This has nothing to do with the "computer itself" but
> rather that you didn't install correctly. Here is a link to help you
> with installing Windows:
>
> http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
>
> Malke
> --
> MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"

Thanks alot Malke

IN case you are wondering why I want to reinstall so fast the reason is as
follows: On my old Pentium 2, 98Se allways as a last resort if there was any
problem or anything I could just do a fresh install, and it allways without
fail solved whatever problem existed. This saved countless hours of problem
solving.

I wish to have the same knowledge and the same ability with Windows XP. If
that make sense. So the sooner I have learnt how to do a fresh install the
more confidence I will have with using my computer as ultimately I can fix
any problem.

Kind Rgds

Alias

      28th Dec 2004

"dev" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

:
: "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: news:(E-Mail Removed)...
: > The Windows XP CD is bootable and contains all the tools necessary
: > to partition and format your drive. Follow this procedure and allow
: > Windows XP to partition and format your drive:
: >
[...]

Here's an easier way:

Find out what the brand name of your hard drive is.

Go to the hard drive's manufacturer's web site and download the FLOPPY, not
CD, utilities to format and partition your hard drive.

Once you have the floppy or floppies (some HDs have two floppies), stick it
in the floppy drive and boot up.

Follow the instructions after the HD program loads.

Once you've formatted (a quick format should suffice) and partitioned your
hard drive, go into the BIOS and set your CDROM as the first to boot.

Put the XP CD in your CDROM.

Reboot and install XP.

Go into safe mode and do a clean up/chkdsk/defrag.

Boot back into normal mode.

Reboot into the BIOS and change your boot order back to the way it was.

Go into safe mode and do a clean up/chkdsk/defrag.

Install your programs and go into safe mode and do a clean up/chkdsk/defrag
after each installation if big and after three or four if the programs are
small.

Install your devices like your printer, camera, etc.

Enjoy.
--
Alias

Use the Reply to Sender function of your news reader program to email me.

:
:
:

Michael Stevens

      28th Dec 2004
Why is that easier?
It is an alternate method, but not easier.

1. Search for floppy image on web site.
2. Make floppy disk.
3. boot with floppy disk utility.
4. run utility to wipe hard drive.
5. reboot with XP CD.
6. Run setup.

As opposed to

1. Boot with XP CD.
2. Run setup.

Easier? 8-)
--
Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
(E-Mail Removed)

"Alias" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> [...]
>
> Once you've formatted (a quick format should suffice) and partitioned your
> hard drive, go into the BIOS and set your CDROM as the first to boot.
>
> Put the XP CD in your CDROM.
>
> Reboot and install XP.
>
> Go into safe mode and do a clean up/chkdsk/defrag.
>
> Boot back into normal mode.
>
> Reboot into the BIOS and change your boot order back to the way it was.

> Go into safe mode and do a clean up/chkdsk/defrag.
>
> Install your programs and go into safe mode and do a clean
> up/chkdsk/defrag
> after each installation if big and after three or four if the programs are
> small.
>
> Install your devices like your printer, camera, etc.
>
> Enjoy.
> --
> Alias
>
> Use the Reply to Sender function of your news reader program to email me.

Alias

      28th Dec 2004

"Michael Stevens" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

: Why is that easier?
: It is an alternate method, but not easier.
:
: 1. Search for floppy image on web site.
: 2. Make floppy disk.
: 3. boot with floppy disk utility.
: 4. run utility to wipe hard drive. [Alias' note: AND partition the hard
drive]
: 5. reboot with XP CD.
: 6. Run setup.
:
: As opposed to
:
: 1. Boot with XP CD.
: 2. Run setup.
:
: Easier? 8-)
: --
: Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
: (E-Mail Removed)
: http://michaelstevenstech.com
: For a better newsgroup experience. Setup a newsreader.
: http://michaelstevenstech.com/outloo...snewreader.htm

XP can create partitions? I didn't know that. Can it write zeros to the
drive too? Once you have the floppy made, you can use it again and you can
use it to check your hard drive's health, etc. Handy things to have :-)
--
Alias

Use the Reply to Sender function of your news reader program to email me.
:
:
: "Alias" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: news:(E-Mail Removed)...
: >
: > "dev" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
: >
: > :
: > : "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: > : news:(E-Mail Removed)...
: > : > The Windows XP CD is bootable and contains all the tools necessary
: > : > to partition and format your drive. Follow this procedure and allow
: > : > Windows XP to partition and format your drive:
: > : >
[...]
: > --
: > Alias
: >