Where can I buy a NEW smaller hard drive?

Paul

      27th Mar 2011
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I have a computer that still runs Win98se and I use it for storage. I
> presently have two 40G IDE drives on it. I want to get a bigger HD to
> replace the slave drive. I know Win98 has limitations, which appears
> to be 128gb. I'm looking for a NEW drive, 80, or 120 gb. Possibly a
> 160 (I wont be able to access all of it). It must be IDE.
>
> All the new drives sold seem to be 500gb or larger. I did find a
> website that sells REFURBISHED drives, but I dont think I'd trust
> them.
>
> Where can I buy a NEW smaller drive and at a good price.
>
> NOT EBAY - - - I WILL NOT USE EBAY.
>
> Thanks

There is a SATA 80GB for $36 here.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...tem=22-148-231

Then, you'd want an IDE to SATA adapter. This one is $12.

The connector types, give some hint as to whether the thing
converts in the correct direction. The black part plugs right
in to the back of a SATA drive. The blue part is for your
ribbon cable. It could be, that this unit is "Master", so sometimes
the issue is that you have trouble using two of these on the same cable.
Some of these things, have a "Master" and a "Slave" jumper, which
allows more than one on the same cable. This particular product comes
with a Molex 1x4 to floppy power connector adapter cable, as the
adapter needs power. And the adapter power, feeds through the SATA
power connector pins (the fifteen pin section).

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/12-270-269-Z01?$S640W$

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/12-270-269-Z05?$S640W$

Not all of those adapters are winners. You have to read the
reviews carefully, before purchasing.

So for $48 total, you have the start of a solution.

Paul

jw@myplace.com

      27th Mar 2011
I have a computer that still runs Win98se and I use it for storage. I
presently have two 40G IDE drives on it. I want to get a bigger HD to
replace the slave drive. I know Win98 has limitations, which appears
to be 128gb. I'm looking for a NEW drive, 80, or 120 gb. Possibly a
160 (I wont be able to access all of it). It must be IDE.

All the new drives sold seem to be 500gb or larger. I did find a
website that sells REFURBISHED drives, but I dont think I'd trust
them.

Where can I buy a NEW smaller drive and at a good price.

NOT EBAY - - - I WILL NOT USE EBAY.

Thanks

John McGaw

      27th Mar 2011
> I have a computer that still runs Win98se and I use it for storage. I
> presently have two 40G IDE drives on it. I want to get a bigger HD to
> replace the slave drive. I know Win98 has limitations, which appears
> to be 128gb. I'm looking for a NEW drive, 80, or 120 gb. Possibly a
> 160 (I wont be able to access all of it). It must be IDE.
>
> All the new drives sold seem to be 500gb or larger. I did find a
> website that sells REFURBISHED drives, but I dont think I'd trust
> them.
>
> Where can I buy a NEW smaller drive and at a good price.
>
> NOT EBAY - - - I WILL NOT USE EBAY.
>
> Thanks

Go to 'amazon.com' then go to 'electronics' and then enter 'ide hard drive'
into search and take a look at what shows up. It has your 160gB. It has
120gB, It even has an 80gB but since it is a 2.5" drive you will need an
adapter but the adapter is right there too. A quick glance showed me IDE
drives ranging from 40gB up to 1gB but I didn't look too hard after the
first few.

GT

      28th Mar 2011
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a computer that still runs Win98se and I use it for storage. I
> presently have two 40G IDE drives on it. I want to get a bigger HD to
> replace the slave drive. I know Win98 has limitations, which appears
> to be 128gb. I'm looking for a NEW drive, 80, or 120 gb. Possibly a
> 160 (I wont be able to access all of it). It must be IDE.
>
> All the new drives sold seem to be 500gb or larger. I did find a
> website that sells REFURBISHED drives, but I dont think I'd trust
> them.
>
> Where can I buy a NEW smaller drive and at a good price.
>
> NOT EBAY - - - I WILL NOT USE EBAY.
>
> Thanks

CCL sell them. Dabs sell them. Amazon sell them. Google shopping tab brings
loads up if you search for "120gb IDE"

Don Phillipson

      28th Mar 2011
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>I have a computer that still runs Win98se and I use it for storage. I
> presently have two 40G IDE drives on it. I want to get a bigger HD to
> replace the slave drive. I know Win98 has limitations, which appears
> to be 128gb.

The Win98 size limit is 132 Gb, but preformatted HDDs are not
subject to this limit. You can connect a 500 Gb HDD via USB
and manage it normally under Win98.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

jw@myplace.com

      29th Mar 2011
On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 08:15:56 -0400, "Don Phillipson"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>I have a computer that still runs Win98se and I use it for storage. I
>> presently have two 40G IDE drives on it. I want to get a bigger HD to
>> replace the slave drive. I know Win98 has limitations, which appears
>> to be 128gb.

>The Win98 size limit is 132 Gb, but preformatted HDDs are not
>subject to this limit. You can connect a 500 Gb HDD via USB
>and manage it normally under Win98.

Wow, you just answered a question I have had for ages. I bought a
320gig USB drive formatted with Fat32, plugged it in and I could read
the whole thing in Win98. Then I bought another 350gig drive (another
brand), formatted with NTFS. I didn't want NTFS for Win98 use. I
have never been able to format it to Fat32 as one partition. I
finally spit it into 3 partitions, and did the formatting with
Win2000.

~misfit~

      11th Apr 2011
Somewhere on teh intarwebs (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 08:15:56 -0400, "Don Phillipson"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>> I have a computer that still runs Win98se and I use it for storage.
>>> I presently have two 40G IDE drives on it. I want to get a bigger
>>> HD to replace the slave drive. I know Win98 has limitations, which
>>> appears to be 128gb.

>> The Win98 size limit is 132 Gb, but preformatted HDDs are not
>> subject to this limit. You can connect a 500 Gb HDD via USB
>> and manage it normally under Win98.

> Wow, you just answered a question I have had for ages. I bought a
> 320gig USB drive formatted with Fat32, plugged it in and I could read
> the whole thing in Win98. Then I bought another 350gig drive (another
> brand), formatted with NTFS. I didn't want NTFS for Win98 use. I
> have never been able to format it to Fat32 as one partition. I
> finally spit it into 3 partitions, and did the formatting with
> Win2000.

FAT32 partition size is a Microsoft-imposed arbitrary limitation. (they want
you to use NTFS.) Format with something like Acronis Disk Director (or any
freeware disk manager), even from within Windows, and the size limit goes
away.
--
Shaun.

into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

John McGaw

      11th Apr 2011
On 4/11/2011 9:09 AM, ~misfit~ wrote:
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 08:15:56 -0400, "Don Phillipson"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> The Win98 size limit is 132 Gb, but preformatted HDDs are not
>>> subject to this limit. You can connect a 500 Gb HDD via USB
>>> and manage it normally under Win98.

>> Wow, you just answered a question I have had for ages. I bought a
>> 320gig USB drive formatted with Fat32, plugged it in and I could read
>> the whole thing in Win98. Then I bought another 350gig drive (another
>> brand), formatted with NTFS. I didn't want NTFS for Win98 use. I
>> have never been able to format it to Fat32 as one partition. I
>> finally spit it into 3 partitions, and did the formatting with
>> Win2000.

> FAT32 partition size is a Microsoft-imposed arbitrary limitation. (they want
> you to use NTFS.) Format with something like Acronis Disk Director (or any
> freeware disk manager), even from within Windows, and the size limit goes
> away.

There is an excellent program

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/fat32format.htm

which does the job for me. It is command line and is as simple as anything
could be but it is fast. I've used it on all of my external 400gB backup
drives for the sake of compatibility across operating systems.