can anyone suggest an antenna?

emekadavid

      8th Aug 2012
good day, I am looking for a way to connect to networks using this modem on my system; it is on COM1. just discovered it myself:
https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...ns-4175420805/
I would prefer something, possibly an antenna that:
1. is a point-to-point link to a high speed link.
and/or
2. can bridge to a wireless network like wifi! possible? i believe it is. radio.
please, i will be happy to have links or suggestions.
tnx

David

      8th Aug 2012
On Wed, 08 Aug 2012 02:54:39 -0700, emekadavid wrote:

> good day, I am looking for a way to connect to networks using this modem
> on my system; it is on COM1. just discovered it myself:
> https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...g-3/wondering-

what-this-ttys0-reading-means-4175420805/
> I would prefer something, possibly an antenna that:
> 1. is a point-to-point link to a high speed link.
> and/or 2. can bridge to a wireless network like wifi! possible? i
> believe it is. radio.
> please, i will be happy to have links or suggestions.
> tnx

You don't have a modem. A 16550A is a serial port.

emekadavid

      8th Aug 2012
On Wednesday, August 8, 2012 11:37:51 AM UTC+1, David wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Aug 2012 02:54:39 -0700, emekadavid wrote:
>

> > good day, I am looking for a way to connect to networks using this modem

> > on my system; it is on COM1. just discovered it myself:

> > https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...g-3/wondering-

> what-this-ttys0-reading-means-4175420805/
>
> > I would prefer something, possibly an antenna that:

> > 1. is a point-to-point link to a high speed link.

> > and/or 2. can bridge to a wireless network like wifi! possible? i

> > believe it is. radio.

> > please, i will be happy to have links or suggestions.

> > tnx

> You don't have a modem. A 16550A is a serial port.

thanks. that's why i posted the linuxquestions.org link. thought so.
is a serial modem that interfaces with a wireless line possible? thought i saw something but you techies know better.
thanks

Paul

      8th Aug 2012
emekadavid wrote:
> good day, I am looking for a way to connect to networks using this modem on my system; it is on COM1. just discovered it myself:
> https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...ns-4175420805/
> I would prefer something, possibly an antenna that:
> 1. is a point-to-point link to a high speed link.
> and/or
> 2. can bridge to a wireless network like wifi! possible? i believe it is. radio.
> please, i will be happy to have links or suggestions.
> tnx

You say in the Linuxquestions thread, your model number is Compaq TC4200.

Is this the machine ?

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/q.../12138_na.HTML

RJ-11 Port (Modem) <--- Connect to phone line, for dialup networking
This means the modem is inside your computer already.

RJ-45 Port (NIC) <--- Connect to ADSL modem or cable modem, for broadband

Optional integrated 802.11 a/b/g Wifi <--- Wireless connection to home router

Bluetooth Module (optional) <--- Suitable for wireless PAN or connection to
tether style networking, say 3G or 4G ???
This would not be my first option.

USB <--- You could connect a USB dialup modem if you want.
You could connect a USB to Ethernet (RJ-45) if you want.
Some routers even have a USB port.
This would not be my first option either.

In summary, that particular model has lots of options. And the built-in
dialup modem and RJ-11 port is the one you'd try first.

If the machine is that modern, you could try "lshw" to get more info
about what is inside. "sudo lshw" runs the utility as root. Using
"man lshw" will tell you more about it. If lshw is not installed,
the shell may even tell you what command to issue, to download
the executable.

Other programs are "lspci" and "lsusb", but "lshw" gives about as
comprehensive a list as Device Manager in Windows would give you.

Dialup networking in Linux, would involve PPP protocol as it would on Windows.
In this example, they used two packages, "wvdial" and "ppp". And
a lot of little config file changes. This tutorial is from 2001,
before better tools were available. Now, I understand there is a
"Gnome PPP", as well as "KPPP" for KDE. Modern distros also have
the accursed Network Manager, which can trash a perfectly good
network connection. And there are also control panels, for
selecting networking options, which may ease the setup of the
PPP dialup session. I wouldn't delve into a lot of script files,
unless the "automation" in your distro has failed. Modern
distros should be better at this, than the old distros where the
amount of work would be similar to the description in the
next link.

http://www.linuxjunkies.org/html/Mod...-HOWTO.html#s2

You should try to get the distro to identify the dialup modem
for you, rather than drilling into "dmesg", looking for /dev/ttyS0
and the like. The hardware discovery that the OS does at boot
time, should have passed sufficient device info to Network
Manager, for the appropriate icons to be present to select
dialup graphically as a networking option.

And you don't have to use dialup. It's just the direction
you headed initially, suggested you wanted dialup networking.
But that computer has plenty of options. If you have ADSL or
cable modem/router with Wifi, you should be able to use
Wifi from the TC4200 to those equipments. Or even an
Ethernet cable in the RJ-45 hole.

HTH,
Paul

emekadavid

      8th Aug 2012
On Wednesday, August 8, 2012 10:54:39 AM UTC+1, emekadavid wrote:
> good day, I am looking for a way to connect to networks using this modem on my system; it is on COM1. just discovered it myself:
>
> https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...ns-4175420805/
>
> I would prefer something, possibly an antenna that:
>
> 1. is a point-to-point link to a high speed link.
>
> and/or
>
> 2. can bridge to a wireless network like wifi! possible? i believe it is. radio.
>
> please, i will be happy to have links or suggestions.
>
> tnx

thanks. bookmarked

emekadavid

      12th Aug 2012
On Wednesday, August 8, 2012 2:34:59 PM UTC+1, emekadavid wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 8, 2012 10:54:39 AM UTC+1, emekadavid wrote:
>
> > good day, I am looking for a way to connect to networks using this modem on my system; it is on COM1. just discovered it myself:

> > https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...ns-4175420805/

> > I would prefer something, possibly an antenna that:

> > 1. is a point-to-point link to a high speed link.

> > and/or

> > 2. can bridge to a wireless network like wifi! possible? i believe it is. radio.

> > please, i will be happy to have links or suggestions.

> > tnx

> thanks. bookmarked

I am happy that the detailed support from this forum. I have decided to buya wifi antenna for networking. I need something that can go large distances, like 10km approximately; I need it for networking practice on my linux laptop, especially the inbuilt ip tool. can anyone suggest an antenna for me..
will something like this be adequate, i saw it at tigerdirect. btw, I need something that will not tear a hole in my budget, less than 50 dollars.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...95213&csid=_61
thanks everyone. your support has been wonderful.

Paul

      12th Aug 2012
emekadavid wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 8, 2012 2:34:59 PM UTC+1, emekadavid wrote:
>> On Wednesday, August 8, 2012 10:54:39 AM UTC+1, emekadavid wrote:
>>
>>> good day, I am looking for a way to connect to networks using this modem on my system; it is on COM1. just discovered it myself:
>>> https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...ns-4175420805/
>>> I would prefer something, possibly an antenna that:
>>> 1. is a point-to-point link to a high speed link.
>>> and/or
>>> 2. can bridge to a wireless network like wifi! possible? i believe it is. radio.
>>> please, i will be happy to have links or suggestions.
>>> tnx

>> thanks. bookmarked

> I am happy that the detailed support from this forum. I have decided to buy a wifi antenna for networking. I need something that can go large distances, like 10km approximately; I need it for networking practice on my linux laptop, especially the inbuilt ip tool. can anyone suggest an antenna for me.
> will something like this be adequate, i saw it at tigerdirect. btw, I need something that will not tear a hole in my budget, less than 50 dollars.
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...95213&csid=_61
> thanks everyone. your support has been wonderful.

Wifi is at microwave frequencies. So you could look at microwave techniques.

http://www.radiolabs.com/products/an...gig/stage1.php

Antennas come in vertical, horizontal, or circular polarization.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polariz...)#Polarization

The Wifi protocols, are designed with a certain maximum distance in mind.
In the experiments done in South America, they've sent Wifi a couple
hundred kilometers, between mountain tops. But to do so, requires
modifying the Wifi software, so the protocol doesn't time out. You'd
have to review that issue, to understand what distance to expect
under good propagation conditions (before software becomes an issue).

See the fun you can have ?

http://www.engadget.com/2005/11/15/h...-dish-antenna/

If you don't like the dish idea, they also make Yagi. They're used
for television. But can also be "cut" for a fixed frequency,
rather than being broadband. A TV Yagi, is meant to span channels
13-83 for example, which is a huge range of frequencies. If you use
a Yagi designed for a relatively fixed frequency (covering the
channel spacing of Wifi), then the antenna could have slightly better
gain. Generally, the lower the bandwidth, the better the gain in
the remaining frequencies. At least, with OTA digital TV showed up,
antenna designers hoped to gain a bit, by not having to make the
antenna go up as high in frequency.

http://www.radiolabs.com/Articles/wifi-antenna.html

In a quick check, the Yagi Wifi antennas are in the 16-25 dBi range.
One reason for that, could be the Yagi is "front and back fire", while
the microwave dish only fires in the front direction (no back lobe).

The benefit of an extremely directional antenna, is you can actually
avoid interfering Wifi signals from other compass points. You
can point right at your partner Wifi device. To do so accurately,
you might need GPS at both the originating site, and GPS in the
field, so you can work out the true bearing, then correct for the
compass bearing, and then using a locally held compass, get some
idea where you should be "pointing". There is a difference between
"magnetic" bearing and "true" bearing. The sites I've used for OTA TV,
provide that information for me. They tell me the "true" bearing, and
then what I'd need to use when using my compass for aiming purposes.

Considering you're on a budget, I'd take my time before deciding
what antenna to buy. And also, what the reasonable expectations would be
for performance.

Have fun,
Paul

Mike Easter

      12th Aug 2012
emekadavid wrote:

> I am happy that the detailed support from this forum. I have decided
> to buy a wifi antenna for networking. I need something that can go
> large distances, like 10km approximately; I need it for networking
> practice on my linux laptop, especially the inbuilt ip tool. can
> anyone suggest an antenna for me. will something like this be
> adequate, i saw it at tigerdirect. btw, I need something that will
> not tear a hole in my budget, less than 50 dollars.
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...95213&csid=_61

That omni antenna at Tiger Direct can replace an external wireless
antenna which is connecting to its wifi radio by way of a RP-SMA
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RP-SMA#...e_polarity_SMA

It would have more gain than a little stubby external but nothing like
what you are imagining.

In linuxquestions, you announced a compaq tc4200

Paul asked you if this HP Compaq tc4200 Tablet PC was your laptop.
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/q.../12138_na.HTML

If so, your tablet's wifi does not have such an external antenna connector.

You are connecting to this newsgroup via GG using different/variable
Nigerian providers.

What does that mean about your connectivity plans? You are wanting to
use your tablet's wifi to connect to a far off wifi access point.

It would be better if you spelled out/ explained in much greater detail
what kind of intentions you have and what kind of connectivity is
available to you.

If a person has 'control' of both ends of the radios and their antennae,
the access point and the receiving/client device's antenna, they could
devise a cheap uni-directional antenna such as has been made with
Pringle's cans and other similar shapes which are referred to as cantennas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pringles_cantenna

--
Mike Easter

emekadavid

      14th Aug 2012
On Sunday, August 12, 2012 10:55:31 PM UTC+1, Mike Easter wrote:
> emekadavid wrote:
>

> > I am happy that the detailed support from this forum. I have decided

> > to buy a wifi antenna for networking. I need something that can go

> > large distances, like 10km approximately; I need it for networking

> > practice on my linux laptop, especially the inbuilt ip tool. can

> > anyone suggest an antenna for me. will something like this be

> > adequate, i saw it at tigerdirect. btw, I need something that will

> > not tear a hole in my budget, less than 50 dollars.

> > http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...95213&csid=_61

> That omni antenna at Tiger Direct can replace an external wireless
>
> antenna which is connecting to its wifi radio by way of a RP-SMA
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RP-SMA#...e_polarity_SMA
>

> It would have more gain than a little stubby external but nothing like
>
> what you are imagining.
>

> In linuxquestions, you announced a compaq tc4200
>

> Paul asked you if this HP Compaq tc4200 Tablet PC was your laptop.
>
> http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/q.../12138_na.HTML
>

> If so, your tablet's wifi does not have such an external antenna connector.
>

> You are connecting to this newsgroup via GG using different/variable
>
> Nigerian providers.
>

> What does that mean about your connectivity plans? You are wanting to
>
> use your tablet's wifi to connect to a far off wifi access point.
>

> It would be better if you spelled out/ explained in much greater detail
>
> what kind of intentions you have and what kind of connectivity is
>
> available to you.
>

> If a person has 'control' of both ends of the radios and their antennae,
>
> the access point and the receiving/client device's antenna, they could
>
> devise a cheap uni-directional antenna such as has been made with
>
> Pringle's cans and other similar shapes which are referred to as cantennas.
>

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pringles_cantenna
>

> --
>
> Mike Easter

Good day. Whoever has been following my new topics recently will realize that they are all connected towards networking. I intend investing in networking education for this year and next and presently reading series of books on computer networks, including the Linux networking guide.
My purpose after my studies is to:
1.Understand networking in its complete sense.
2.Start a networking training institute because I believe the need is slowly arising in my country, Nigeria, for networking resources.
I have a concern though. I went to the market and found that the modems that are popular are these:
a.Wifi modems but the problem is that the range is very short and I could not find a range extender in the marketer, so it would be close to impossible detecting any wireless network with it.
b.HSPA/3.5G/UMTS modems. I have never used this before and they require a SIM card installed.
My short-term goals:
1.To be able to tune my Linux system to act as a networking router, bridge or access point. The complete works.
My question is:
1.Given HSPA/3.5G/UMTS modems that require SIM cards, is this short-term goal possible?
2.Given Wifi modems and not being able to detect any network with it for short-term goals above, is there a workaround?
thanks

Mike Easter

      14th Aug 2012
emekadavid wrote:

> Whoever has been following my new topics recently will realize that
> they are all connected towards networking.

I have only been following this one topic of yours in this one group.

There are several issues in your messages here which are not related to
the group's name. One is the format of your messages and the other is
the issue of connecting to a provider as opposed to creating a local
network.

You are reading and posting to this usenet group using google groups GG.
The best way to read and post here is not with GG but by using a
newsreader and newsserver, both of which are free.

GG has a new and an old interface. The new interface causes your
messages to be posted in a bad format, the lines you quote are
double-spaced and the lines you write are not properly wrapped.

Popular news readers for windows are Thunderbird for Win7/Vista/XP or
Windows Mail for Vista or Outlook Express for XP. Popular news servers
are aioe which does not require registration or eternal-september which
does.

Re Nigerian providers: I see a number of web sites about internet
service for Nigeria and the role of satellite and cybercafes.

It is one thing/problem to achieve internet connectivity via a provider;
it is another thing to create a local network with ethernet or wifi or
both. It appears that you do not have a consistent connection with a
single Nigerian provider.

You can have a local network which isn't connected to the internet, or
you can have a local network which /is/ connected to the internet.

How you study for your future plans is somewhat ahead of how you
currently connect to the internet and how you connect to this usenet
newsgroup.

--
Mike Easter