Can anyone recommend a good network activity monitoring tool?

nde

      13th Mar 2004
I have a win2k domain with Windows XP Pro and Windows 98SE
clients with a DSL internet connection. Can anyone
recommend a good network monitoring tool for a tight
budget that can let me see the throughput/activity of the
DSL connection and the LAN itself?

Thanks

Herb Martin

      13th Mar 2004
If you had Server then the answer might be NetMon which is built-in
to that product.

I use (free) WinDump and Ethereal.
(easily findable through Google.)

Also, although technically not a network monitor, Snort is a lot of
help if you are monitoring what is entering and leaving your network.

www.Snort.org and winsnort.com

--
Herb Martin
"nde" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c41b01c408c0$3b972240$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a win2k domain with Windows XP Pro and Windows 98SE
> clients with a DSL internet connection. Can anyone
> recommend a good network monitoring tool for a tight
> budget that can let me see the throughput/activity of the
> DSL connection and the LAN itself?
>
> Thanks

phoenix

      13th Mar 2004
On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 21:58:39 -0800, nde wrote:

> I have a win2k domain with Windows XP Pro and Windows 98SE
> clients with a DSL internet connection. Can anyone
> recommend a good network monitoring tool for a tight
> budget that can let me see the throughput/activity of the
> DSL connection and the LAN itself?
>
> Thanks

Hi

If all you want to do is monitor traffic on several devices you can use
SNMP & MRTG. If you install MRTG Bundle it will give you a complete 'out of
the box' package that will give you the stats you need.

HTH

Regards

Bill

Steven L Umbach

      14th Mar 2004
Ethereal that Herb mentions is very nice. I was using it yesterday and it
has some great options as far as printing or dumping to a text file
including just specific line ranges and amount of detail that you want to
dump or print. You will have to install WinPcap also which is available at
the link below as is Ethereal.--- Steve

http://www.ethereal.com/distribution/win32/

"Herb Martin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you had Server then the answer might be NetMon which is built-in
> to that product.
>
> I use (free) WinDump and Ethereal.
> (easily findable through Google.)
>
> Also, although technically not a network monitor, Snort is a lot of
> help if you are monitoring what is entering and leaving your network.
>
> www.Snort.org and winsnort.com
>

> --
> Herb Martin
> "nde" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:c41b01c408c0$3b972240$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I have a win2k domain with Windows XP Pro and Windows 98SE
> > clients with a DSL internet connection. Can anyone
> > recommend a good network monitoring tool for a tight
> > budget that can let me see the throughput/activity of the
> > DSL connection and the LAN itself?
> >
> > Thanks

Herb Martin

      15th Mar 2004
If you like Ethereal, don't overlook WinDump too -- for those times
when you just want to run something to dump the results into a text
file -- it's console based.

I use both -- and sometimes MS NetMon.

--
Herb Martin
"Steven L Umbach" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Ei05c.34334$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ethereal that Herb mentions is very nice. I was using it yesterday and it
> has some great options as far as printing or dumping to a text file
> including just specific line ranges and amount of detail that you want to
> dump or print. You will have to install WinPcap also which is available

at
> the link below as is Ethereal.--- Steve
>
> http://www.ethereal.com/distribution/win32/
>
> "Herb Martin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> > If you had Server then the answer might be NetMon which is built-in
> > to that product.
> >
> > I use (free) WinDump and Ethereal.
> > (easily findable through Google.)
> >
> > Also, although technically not a network monitor, Snort is a lot of
> > help if you are monitoring what is entering and leaving your network.
> >
> > www.Snort.org and winsnort.com
> >

> > --
> > Herb Martin
> > "nde" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:c41b01c408c0$3b972240$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I have a win2k domain with Windows XP Pro and Windows 98SE
> > > clients with a DSL internet connection. Can anyone
> > > recommend a good network monitoring tool for a tight
> > > budget that can let me see the throughput/activity of the
> > > DSL connection and the LAN itself?
> > >
> > > Thanks

Steven L Umbach

      15th Mar 2004