Can anyone help me figure out how I can get my news to come up under Outlook?

Brent Hauver

      18th Feb 2005
Hi I am moving from outlook express to outlook... and for the life of me I
can not get the News set up on OUtlook. I go to the News click it and it
asks if I want outlook news to be the default I say yes and it takes me into
News and then I exit and the next time I click on news it takes me to this
C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033 folder. Can anyone help me
figure out how I can get my news to come up under Outlook?

I can not believe a company as big as MS can not get a descent email
package. Mozzilla is way better, Netscape is of course mozzilla with a lot
of ugly code on top. I am so tempted to look at an alternative...

So now I am using OUtlook express for my news server and outlook for my
email and Palm desktop for my PIM...

--
Let go, Elevate your life
Brent Hauver

Peter Foldes

      20th Feb 2005
> So now I am using Outlook express for my news server and outlook for my
> email and Palm desktop for my PIM...

Outlook uses Outlook Express as the newsreader. Outlook does not have the
capability to set up newsgroups but rather uses OE as I mentioned.

Peter

"Brent Hauver" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uLDH5%(E-Mail Removed)...

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

      24th Feb 2005
To get the News command back, go back to the Programs tab in Control Panel |
Internet Options and change the default newsreader to Outlook Express. If
OE prompts you to make it your default newsreader the next time you launch
it, click the "Don't ask me again" box and then click the No button.

You may need to reset the menu or toolbar using Tools, customize.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

"Brent Hauver" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uLDH5%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi I am moving from outlook express to outlook... and for the life of me I
> can not get the News set up on OUtlook. I go to the News click it and it
> asks if I want outlook news to be the default I say yes and it takes me
> into
> News and then I exit and the next time I click on news it takes me to this
> C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033 folder. Can anyone help
> me
> figure out how I can get my news to come up under Outlook?
>
> I can not believe a company as big as MS can not get a descent email
> package. Mozzilla is way better, Netscape is of course mozzilla with a
> lot
> of ugly code on top. I am so tempted to look at an alternative...
>
> So now I am using OUtlook express for my news server and outlook for my
> email and Palm desktop for my PIM...
>
> --
> Let go, Elevate your life
> Brent Hauver
> www.sagehealthstore.com

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

      27th Feb 2005
Brent Hauver wrote:
> Hi I am moving from outlook express to outlook... and for the life of
> me I can not get the News set up on OUtlook.

Outlook isn't a newsreader. Use OE for news - or, other NNTP clients.

> I go to the News click
> it

Where?

> and it asks if I want outlook news to be the default I say yes and
> it takes me into News and then I exit and the next time I click on
> news it takes me to this C:\Program Files\Common
> Files\System\MSMAPI\1033 folder. Can anyone help me figure out how I
> can get my news to come up under Outlook?

It can't - it can just launch OE if you have it set up right. I don't
bother - I don't see why it's any more convenient to use a menu item in
Outlook than to use a quicklaunch shortcut to msimn.exe /outnews.

> I can not believe a company as big as MS can not get a descent email
> package.

They do. Outlook 2003 is awfully swell.
However, as your question is about news, not mail, and Outlook is not now
(nor has ever been, and likely will never be) a news client, I'm not sure
how relevant that is.

> Mozzilla is way better, Netscape is of course mozzilla with
> a lot of ugly code on top. I am so tempted to look at an
> alternative...

Well, of course, you're free to use whatever you wish. You can even use two
orange juice cans and a piece of string if you like. However, I suspect you
won't get much help for it in an Outlook support newsgroup. ;-)

> So now I am using OUtlook express for my news server and outlook for
> my email and Palm desktop for my PIM...

Well, you do need to use OE for your news *client* (not server) even if you
launch it from within Outlook - unless you have a third party news client
like Forte Agent.
However, using Palm Desktop rather than Outlook is a waste. Get software
like Chapura Pocketmirror that will let you sync your Palm directly to
Outlook. That way, you only have two applications to worry about.