Camera and Scanner Does not Load for Camera

Falstaff

      17th Oct 2004

I have a Leica Camera connected via USB to an XP Pro/SP2 system. It ha
worked since plugged in. Never needed to install a driver. It ha
always prompted with the AutoPlay. Selecting "Copy pictures to
folder on my computer using Microsoft Scanner and Camera Wizard" ha
always worked in the past.

It has stopped working and I cannot figure out why.

This is not an AutoPlay issue. It is a WIAACMGR.EXE, I would guess.

Heres the current status.

I have two "Scanner/Camera" devices. One is clearly WIA compliant. A
HP ScanJet 4670 and the Leica Digilux I.

The ScanJet shows up in the Control Panel applet "Scanners an
Cameras." The Leica does Not.

When the Leica Digilux AutoPlay prompt listing various Events t
choose, the "copy pictures" does display. Selecting it: NOTHIN
HAPPENS. No error message, nothing. WIAACMGR.EXE, however, is liste
in the Task Manager list.

If I explore the Leica and click on PictureTasks.GetPictures ... Th
Scanner and Camera Wizard loads: I get the "reading pictur
information" dialog, the scanner lamp turns on, and up comes th
picture and scanner wizard reading to use the scanner.

If I try and load manually using:

C:\WINNT\system32\wiaacmgr.exe -SelectDevice

same thing. The wizard loads for the "hp scanjet 4600 series" -- an
no longer sees the camera AT ALL.

I've confirmed registry settings for the device and for AutoPlay.
found a page on MSDN:

http://tinyurl.com/4dntd

With instructions for "Assigning a Device Handler to a Device"

So I tried setting

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
SYSTEM
CurrentControlSet
Enum
USB
<my Vid_Deivce>
<my pid>
Device Parameters
DeviceHandlers [REG_SZ]= MSWiaEventHandler

No help.

Any ideas how to recover the ability to use the Camera and Scanne
wizard with the camera?

Since the scanner also has a non WIA twain driver -- and othe
interfaces with which I can get a scan -- I'd be happy to remove it'
WIA ability if that meant I could get back the Camera part...

Thanks in advance for any ideas

--
Falstaf
Falstaff's Profile: http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/...html?userid=56

Edward W. Thompson

      18th Oct 2004
I aplogize if this is overly simplistic but have you satisfied yourself that
the machine and camera are at least 'talking' to each other by that I mean
is the cable OK? As I am sure you know when you plug the USB cable into the
machine with the camera 'on' you should get a sound indication a connection
is made. If the device (camera) is recognized when you plug it in, does it
show in Device Manager either as the camera or as an 'unknown device'?

"Falstaff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I have a Leica Camera connected via USB to an XP Pro/SP2 system. It has
> worked since plugged in. Never needed to install a driver. It has
> always prompted with the AutoPlay. Selecting "Copy pictures to a
> folder on my computer using Microsoft Scanner and Camera Wizard" has
> always worked in the past.
>
> It has stopped working and I cannot figure out why.
>
> This is not an AutoPlay issue. It is a WIAACMGR.EXE, I would guess.
>
> Heres the current status.
>
> I have two "Scanner/Camera" devices. One is clearly WIA compliant. An
> HP ScanJet 4670 and the Leica Digilux I.
>
> The ScanJet shows up in the Control Panel applet "Scanners and
> Cameras." The Leica does Not.
>
> When the Leica Digilux AutoPlay prompt listing various Events to
> choose, the "copy pictures" does display. Selecting it: NOTHING
> HAPPENS. No error message, nothing. WIAACMGR.EXE, however, is listed
> in the Task Manager list.
>
> If I explore the Leica and click on PictureTasks.GetPictures ... The
> Scanner and Camera Wizard loads: I get the "reading picture
> information" dialog, the scanner lamp turns on, and up comes the
> picture and scanner wizard reading to use the scanner.
>
> If I try and load manually using:
>
> C:\WINNT\system32\wiaacmgr.exe -SelectDevice
>
> same thing. The wizard loads for the "hp scanjet 4600 series" -- and
> no longer sees the camera AT ALL.
>

> I've confirmed registry settings for the device and for AutoPlay. I
> found a page on MSDN:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/4dntd
>
> With instructions for "Assigning a Device Handler to a Device"
>
> So I tried setting
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
> SYSTEM
> CurrentControlSet
> Enum
> USB
> <my Vid_Deivce>
> <my pid>
> Device Parameters
> DeviceHandlers [REG_SZ]= MSWiaEventHandler
>
> No help.
>
> Any ideas how to recover the ability to use the Camera and Scanner
> wizard with the camera?
>
> Since the scanner also has a non WIA twain driver -- and other
> interfaces with which I can get a scan -- I'd be happy to remove it's
> WIA ability if that meant I could get back the Camera part...
>
> Thanks in advance for any ideas.
>

> --
> Falstaff
> Falstaff's Profile:
> http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/...tml?userid=563
> View this thread:
> http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/...phtml?t=102674

fison

      8th Feb 2005

You might try Microsoft's Autoplay Repair Wizard. I went through the
same hassle with my Nikon Digital Camera and USB drives. Even thought
my devices where set to autoplay they did not until I ran this wizard
on them. Its available on Microsoft's web site. Search for "Autoplay
Repair Wizard" in all of Microsoft and you should find it. If not let
me know.

-Paul

--
fison
fison's Profile: http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/...tml?userid=771

=?Utf-8?B?SGlw?=

      8th Feb 2005
Here's what I had to do because my camera didn't even show up a drive in "My
Computer" Do a Google search, download and install Tweak UI for your
operating system. Open Tweak UI, on the left side click My Computer, then
Drives, put a check mark beside a few of the letters like E, F, G, H, or all
of them. This will make the drive for the camera visible. Now go to My
Computer and locate the drive, right click the drive and click properties.
Click the AutoPlay tab, on the drop down menu find Pictures. Now click the
Select an action to perform: button. Then highlight “Copy pictures to a
folder on my computer using Microsoft Scanner and Camera Wizard”, click
Apply. Now try plugging your camera in and turning it on. This worked for me
hope it works for you.

"fison" wrote:

> You might try Microsoft's Autoplay Repair Wizard. I went through the
> same hassle with my Nikon Digital Camera and USB drives. Even thought
> my devices where set to autoplay they did not until I ran this wizard
> on them. Its available on Microsoft's web site. Search for "Autoplay
> Repair Wizard" in all of Microsoft and you should find it. If not let
> me know.
>
> -Paul
>

> --
> fison
> fison's Profile: http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/...tml?userid=771
> View this thread: http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/...phtml?t=102674

Sunny

      9th Feb 2005

fison wrote:
> You might try Microsoft's Autoplay Repair Wizard. I went through the
> same hassle with my Nikon Digital Camera and USB drives. Even thought
> my devices where set to autoplay they did not until I ran this wizard
> on them. Its available on Microsoft's web site. Search for "Autoplay
> Repair Wizard" in all of Microsoft and you should find it. If not let
> me know.
>
> -Paul

I had the same problem. The autoplay repair wizard said autoplay was
working fine, but it wasn't until I uninstalled Real Player.

Real Player was definitely the culprit - I tried reinstalling it, usb
autoplay stopped working, uninstalled again, autoplay works again.

Sunny

=?Utf-8?B?YnVsYg==?=

      24th Feb 2005
Hey people,

Thanx for the information! I experienced the same problem as is noted above.
By accident I came across this site and read the text below. I remembered
that I installed RealPlayer just some days ago. I uninstalled it and the
problem is gone. The Autowizard which downloads the pictures from my camera
does appear again. Boohoo for RP! Yahoo for Sunny!!! Thanx again.

a nitwit from europe :-)