Calculate Percentage of time

FrankTimJr

      16th Jan 2009
I'm trying to build a report that shows the callers percent of time (during
an 8 hour day) they spend on the phone. I have the callers total time for
the Month and I need to calculate two things:

Average amount of time spent on the phone per day (=Total Time/# Days worked)

Average % of time spent on the phone per day is where I'm confused. I
thought I would just divide =((Total Time/# Days worked)/8) but I'm getting
some strange results. For example, I have an Average time of 2:23:11, so
just divide that number by 8 and I got 1.24%. What am I doing wrong?

Chip Pearson

      16th Jan 2009
Try

=(AverageTime*24)/8

You could also write the formula as

=AverageTime/(8/24)

Excel stores times as a fraction of a 24-hour day (6:00 = 0.25, 12:00
= 0.5, 18:00 = 0.75, etc), so if you are doing arithmetic with the
number of hours (as in your value of 8 for hours/day), you need to
multiply by 24.

Format the cell for Percentage.

Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft Most Valuable Professional
Excel Product Group, 1998 - 2009
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com
(email on web site)

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 14:14:00 -0800, FrankTimJr
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm trying to build a report that shows the callers percent of time (during
>an 8 hour day) they spend on the phone. I have the callers total time for
>the Month and I need to calculate two things:
>
>Average amount of time spent on the phone per day (=Total Time/# Days worked)
>
>Average % of time spent on the phone per day is where I'm confused. I
>thought I would just divide =((Total Time/# Days worked)/8) but I'm getting
>some strange results. For example, I have an Average time of 2:23:11, so
>just divide that number by 8 and I got 1.24%. What am I doing wrong?

FrankTimJr

      17th Jan 2009
Thank you!!