Calculate Form Fields

NFL

      13th May 2010
MS Word 2003 - I'm in the "Text Form Field Options" dialog box and would like
to know how to calculate two form fields (texboxes) and pass the value to the
third form field?. For example: textbox1 * textbox2 = textbox3

Also, is there a limit of how many form fields I can calculate?

Thank you,

Suzanne S. Barnhill

      13th May 2010
Select Calculation as the Type in the Text Form Field Options dialog, then
create your formula in the Expression box following the same rules as for an
= field in ordinary text (in your example, it would be "= Text1 * Text2").
Be sure to check the box for "Calculate on exit" in the Form Field Options
for each form field that contributes to the calculation so that the
calculated field will update automatically.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"NFL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> MS Word 2003 - I'm in the "Text Form Field Options" dialog box and would
> like
> to know how to calculate two form fields (texboxes) and pass the value to
> the
> third form field?. For example: textbox1 * textbox2 = textbox3
>
> Also, is there a limit of how many form fields I can calculate?
>
> Thank you,

NFL

      13th May 2010
Thank you for your help! It worked? :-)

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

> Select Calculation as the Type in the Text Form Field Options dialog, then
> create your formula in the Expression box following the same rules as for an
> = field in ordinary text (in your example, it would be "= Text1 * Text2").
> Be sure to check the box for "Calculate on exit" in the Form Field Options
> for each form field that contributes to the calculation so that the
> calculated field will update automatically.
>
> --
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, Alabama USA
> http://word.mvps.org
>
> "NFL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > MS Word 2003 - I'm in the "Text Form Field Options" dialog box and would
> > like
> > to know how to calculate two form fields (texboxes) and pass the value to
> > the
> > third form field?. For example: textbox1 * textbox2 = textbox3
> >
> > Also, is there a limit of how many form fields I can calculate?
> >
> > Thank you,
> >

> .

Suzanne S. Barnhill

      13th May 2010
So did it work or not?

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://word.mvps.org

"NFL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thank you for your help! It worked? :-)
>
> "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
>
>> Select Calculation as the Type in the Text Form Field Options dialog,
>> then
>> create your formula in the Expression box following the same rules as for
>> an
>> = field in ordinary text (in your example, it would be "= Text1 *
>> Text2").
>> Be sure to check the box for "Calculate on exit" in the Form Field
>> for each form field that contributes to the calculation so that the
>> calculated field will update automatically.
>>
>> --
>> Suzanne S. Barnhill
>> Microsoft MVP (Word)
>> Words into Type
>> Fairhope, Alabama USA
>> http://word.mvps.org
>>
>> "NFL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > MS Word 2003 - I'm in the "Text Form Field Options" dialog box and
>> > would
>> > like
>> > to know how to calculate two form fields (texboxes) and pass the value
>> > the
>> > third form field?. For example: textbox1 * textbox2 = textbox3
>> >
>> > Also, is there a limit of how many form fields I can calculate?
>> >
>> > Thank you,
>> >

>> .

macropod

      15th May 2010
Hi NFL,

Beware of trying to reference a formfield calculation in a subsequent formfield. The results are unlikely to be what you'd expect.

--
Cheers
macropod

"NFL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thank you for your help! It worked? :-)
>
> "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
>
>> Select Calculation as the Type in the Text Form Field Options dialog, then
>> create your formula in the Expression box following the same rules as for an
>> = field in ordinary text (in your example, it would be "= Text1 * Text2").
>> Be sure to check the box for "Calculate on exit" in the Form Field Options
>> for each form field that contributes to the calculation so that the
>> calculated field will update automatically.
>>
>> --
>> Suzanne S. Barnhill
>> Microsoft MVP (Word)
>> Words into Type
>> Fairhope, Alabama USA
>> http://word.mvps.org
>>
>> "NFL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > MS Word 2003 - I'm in the "Text Form Field Options" dialog box and would
>> > like
>> > to know how to calculate two form fields (texboxes) and pass the value to
>> > the
>> > third form field?. For example: textbox1 * textbox2 = textbox3
>> >
>> > Also, is there a limit of how many form fields I can calculate?
>> >
>> > Thank you,
>> >

>> .

Suzanne S. Barnhill

      15th May 2010
Indeed. That's discussed in “WD2000: Calculation in Form Field Shows Wrong
Result” at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=211253

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"macropod" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi NFL,
>
> Beware of trying to reference a formfield calculation in a subsequent
> formfield. The results are unlikely to be what you'd expect.
>
> --
> Cheers
> macropod
> [Microsoft MVP - Word]
>

> "NFL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Thank you for your help! It worked? :-)
>>
>> "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
>>
>>> Select Calculation as the Type in the Text Form Field Options dialog,
>>> then create your formula in the Expression box following the same rules
>>> as for an = field in ordinary text (in your example, it would be "=
>>> Text1 * Text2"). Be sure to check the box for "Calculate on exit" in the
>>> Form Field Options for each form field that contributes to the
>>> calculation so that the calculated field will update automatically.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Suzanne S. Barnhill
>>> Microsoft MVP (Word)
>>> Words into Type
>>> Fairhope, Alabama USA
>>> http://word.mvps.org
>>>
>>> "NFL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> .

New Member

      25th Jan 2012
I've been given the task to make a Word template form. Where there are checkboxes to choose Outstanding, Exceeds Expectations, etc..they would like them to be weighted.
So...
Outstanding = 5, Exceeds Expectations = 4, etc..
At the end of each column for these, they want a score. So They got 5 Outstanding X's, then it would be 25 points.
Is there even a way to do this in a Word Template? I've been trying everything I can think of to figure this out.