C: drive copy / backup to D:

spasmous2

      7th Jan 2010
I have installed a second hard drive (D which I intend to be a
backup for the C: drive. All I would like to do is copy the entire C:
drive to the D: drive on a weekly schedule.

I've looked into the Backup utility in XP and it's close to what I
want, but it makes a bkf file rather than a copy. This is not as
convenient for me (I'd like to be able to manually examine the files
on D also I read the bkf file is corrupted even with a single bit
error. I've looked at some other freeware programs but its the same
deal, although the compressed format differs from product to product.

Can anyone point me to a program that makes a simple copy of the drive
and runs on a regular schedule? Many thanks.

db

      7th Jan 2010

unfortunately, you can not simply make
a direct copy of c to d because of the
system files.

also, I agree that a single backup file
is not advantageous.

instead, make cd size images and
store them on the d drive.

you can also copy them to cd's if
you choose to.

-------------------

you can use a freeware called
drive image xml to image your
c drive.

you should also make a bootable
disk called barts pe and integrate
the drive image xml pluggin.

that way if the system goes down
you can boot with barts pe then
run drive image and restore your
images from the d to the c drive.

afterwards, you may or may not
need to but sometimes after restoring
the entire disk from an image,

you need to follow up with a
repair installation via the xp
cd.

-------------

another thing you can do to
protect your user data from being
lost if the c drive becomes corrupted

is to move "my documents" from the
c to the d.

just right click on my documents,
select its properties and look for
the field to enter d:\

and windows will move the folder
and everything in it.

----------------
after you do the above, if you choose
my methodology,

test your barts pe and ensure that
your system can boot with it.

its better to know now if the cd
or dvd was made properly.

--
db·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
DatabaseBen, Retired Professional

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"spasmous2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have installed a second hard drive (D which I intend to be a
> backup for the C: drive. All I would like to do is copy the entire C:
> drive to the D: drive on a weekly schedule.
>
> I've looked into the Backup utility in XP and it's close to what I
> want, but it makes a bkf file rather than a copy. This is not as
> convenient for me (I'd like to be able to manually examine the files
> on D also I read the bkf file is corrupted even with a single bit
> error. I've looked at some other freeware programs but its the same
> deal, although the compressed format differs from product to product.
>
> Can anyone point me to a program that makes a simple copy of the drive
> and runs on a regular schedule? Many thanks.

Anna

      7th Jan 2010

"spasmous2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have installed a second hard drive (D which I intend to be a
> backup for the C: drive. All I would like to do is copy the entire C:
> drive to the D: drive on a weekly schedule.
>
> I've looked into the Backup utility in XP and it's close to what I
> want, but it makes a bkf file rather than a copy. This is not as
> convenient for me (I'd like to be able to manually examine the files
> on D also I read the bkf file is corrupted even with a single bit
> error. I've looked at some other freeware programs but its the same
> deal, although the compressed format differs from product to product.
>
> Can anyone point me to a program that makes a simple copy of the drive
> and runs on a regular schedule? Many thanks.

spasmous2...
What you're probably looking for is a disk-to-disk cloning program. Using
that type of program a byte-for-byte (for all practical purposes) copy of
your day-to-day working HDD (what you've labeled your C: drive) can be
created on another HDD (what you've labeled your D: drive). So that you'll
have a precise copy of all the data on your "source" HDD, the OS, all your
programs & applications, configurations, and of course your personal data.
It's hard to conceive of a better backup system for the majority of PC
users.

There are, of course, a number of disk-cloning programs available - free,
shareware, & commercial. Many of the commercial programs have trial versions
available and you should avail yourself of the opportunity of giving each a
"test run" to see if a particular program meets your needs.

The program we strongly recommend is the Casper 6 disk-cloning program. It's
extremely simple to use even for an inexperienced user, extraordinarily
quick in its backup operations when the program is used routinely &
frequently (as it should be!), and all-in-all very effective. And the
program has an automatic scheduling capability as well.

If you're interested in more details about the program so indicate and I'll
provide them. There's a 30-day trial version available at...
http://www.fssdev.com/products/free/
The trial version is slightly crippled but it should give you a good idea of
how the program works.
Anna

spasmous2

      8th Jan 2010
On Jan 7, 2:52*pm, "Anna" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "spasmous2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> >I have installed a second hard drive (D which I intend to be a
> > backup for the C: drive. All I would like to do is copy the entire C:
> > drive to the D: drive on a weekly schedule.

> > I've looked into the Backup utility in XP and it's close to what I
> > want, but it makes a bkf file rather than a copy. This is not as
> > convenient for me (I'd like to be able to manually examine the files
> > on D also I read the bkf file is corrupted even with a single bit
> > error. I've looked at some other freeware programs but its the same
> > deal, although the compressed format differs from product to product.

> > Can anyone point me to a program that makes a simple copy of the drive
> > and runs on a regular schedule? Many thanks.

> spasmous2...
> What you're probably looking for is a disk-to-disk cloning program. Using
> that type of program a byte-for-byte (for all practical purposes) copy of
> your day-to-day working HDD (what you've labeled your C: drive) can be
> created on another HDD (what you've labeled your D: drive). So that you'll
> have a precise copy of all the data on your "source" HDD, the OS, all your
> programs & applications, configurations, and of course your personal data..
> It's hard to conceive of a better backup system for the majority of PC
> users.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Point taken about this being a
limited form of backup, but it is (should be) easy and better than no
backup

I located a program called ShadowCopy (http://www.runtime.org/shadow-
copy.htm) that does more or less what I wanted. I have set it to run
on a weekly schedule using the Windows scheduler. In case anyone
wishes to follow in my tracks, the scheduled command:

Run: "C:\Program Files\Runtime Software\ShadowCopy\shadowcopy.exe" C:
\*.* D:\ /s /y /r /i

Start in: "C:\Program Files\Runtime Software\ShadowCopy"

Barry Schwarz

      10th Jan 2010
On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 12:02:48 -0800 (PST), spasmous2
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have installed a second hard drive (D which I intend to be a
>backup for the C: drive. All I would like to do is copy the entire C:
>drive to the D: drive on a weekly schedule.
>
>I've looked into the Backup utility in XP and it's close to what I
>want, but it makes a bkf file rather than a copy. This is not as
>convenient for me (I'd like to be able to manually examine the files
>on D also I read the bkf file is corrupted even with a single bit
>error. I've looked at some other freeware programs but its the same
>deal, although the compressed format differs from product to product.
>
>Can anyone point me to a program that makes a simple copy of the drive
>and runs on a regular schedule? Many thanks.

Partition Magic can make such a copy. My old version doesn't have
automatic scheduling but that is probably an easy nut to crack.

--
Remove del for email

spasmous2

      11th Jan 2010
On Jan 7, 12:02*pm, spasmous2 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have installed a second hard drive (D which I intend to be a
> backup for the C: drive. All I would like to do is copy the entire C:
> drive to the D: drive on a weekly schedule.
>
> I've looked into the Backup utility in XP and it's close to what I
> want, but it makes a bkf file rather than a copy. This is not as
> convenient for me (I'd like to be able to manually examine the files
> on D also I read the bkf file is corrupted even with a single bit
> error. I've looked at some other freeware programs but its the same
> deal, although the compressed format differs from product to product.
>
> Can anyone point me to a program that makes a simple copy of the drive
> and runs on a regular schedule? Many thanks.

Heh. Well how about that - it turns out Windows has the perfect
utility already: xcopy.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/240268

It even has the option (/D) to copy only newer files. I've made a .bat
file with this in it and run it on the built in Windows scheduler.

xcopy c: e: /D /F /Y /E /H /C /K /R /X