How to bypass Microsoft Error Reporting.

Control Freq

      18th Mar 2008

I know this is the wrong solution to this problem.
But, my application uses a third party DLL which sometimes crashes.
The crash generates the usual "Send Error Report" screen which we are
all familiar with.

However, the cause of the crash is trivial to me, I just need to
automatically relaunch the app when the crash happens. There is no
corruption or loss of data in this system.

The developer of the DLL no longer works for the supplier, and they
want money to fix it, and my manager doesn't want to pay for it to be
fixed.

So, what I need is to disable the generation of the error report. And
let a scheduled task relaunch the app in a few minutes time.

The big problem here is that this system is running on a Windows XP
Pro machine in a server cabinet, and doesn't have a user sitting
there. So, the "Send Error Report" screen could be there for quite a
while before anyone notices that this app isn't running anymore.

Consequently, there is nobody there to click the "Don't Send" button.
I really need to surpress this screen.

Any advice appreciated.

Regards

Bob I

      18th Mar 2008

To enable or disable error reporting
Open System in Control Panel.
On the Advanced tab, click Error Reporting.
Click Disable error reporting or Enable error reporting.
Notes

To open System, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and
then double-click System.
If you disable error reporting, you can still have Windows notify you
when an error occurs. To do so, select the But notify me when critical
errors occur check box.
To report operating system errors, select the Windows operating system
check box.
To report program errors for programs, such as Microsoft Word, select
the Programs check box.