buying a dvd or cd drive please help me

Ninip

      6th Mar 2005
Hi all
I am going to buy a new computer this week. My old one has a cd rom drive
and a cd burner drive. I like having two drives so I can do a direct copy
from cd to cd.
But on my new one I would like to get a dvd drive also.
What do I need?
I am so confused.
A dvd burner and a cd burner? A cd drive and a dvd burner?
A dvd drive and a cd burner?
Please help I want to have the ability to be able to do anything that I
might wnat to do.
Thanks in advance

CWatters

      6th Mar 2005

"Ninip" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Hi all
> I am going to buy a new computer this week. My old one has a cd rom drive
> and a cd burner drive. I like having two drives so I can do a direct copy
> from cd to cd.
> But on my new one I would like to get a dvd drive also.
> What do I need?
> I am so confused.
> A dvd burner and a cd burner? A cd drive and a dvd burner?
> A dvd drive and a cd burner?
> Please help I want to have the ability to be able to do anything that I
> might wnat to do.
> Thanks in advance

A modern Dual layer DVD writer should be your starting point. Many of these
will also play and write CD at a reasonable speed. Go looking for reviews
and get this chosen first. Then...

If you really want to copy CDs disc to disc then you just need an ordinary
cheap CD drive (play only) to hold the source CD.

Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers

      6th Mar 2005
Hi,

They're cheap enough now to get both a DVD reader and DVD burner, that would
be my choice in most situations. Both would likely support reading and
writing of CD media as well.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Ninip" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Hi all
> I am going to buy a new computer this week. My old one has a cd rom drive
> and a cd burner drive. I like having two drives so I can do a direct copy
> from cd to cd.
> But on my new one I would like to get a dvd drive also.
> What do I need?
> I am so confused.
> A dvd burner and a cd burner? A cd drive and a dvd burner?
> A dvd drive and a cd burner?
> Please help I want to have the ability to be able to do anything that I
> might wnat to do.
> Thanks in advance

Shenan Stanley

      6th Mar 2005
Ninip wrote:
> Hi all
> I am going to buy a new computer this week. My old one has a cd rom
> drive and a cd burner drive. I like having two drives so I can do a
> direct copy from cd to cd.
> But on my new one I would like to get a dvd drive also.
> What do I need?
> I am so confused.
> A dvd burner and a cd burner? A cd drive and a dvd burner?
> A dvd drive and a cd burner?
> Please help I want to have the ability to be able to do anything that
> I might wnat to do.
> Thanks in advance

2 DVD+/-RWs

That way you can read/write CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW.

--
<- Shenan ->

CWatters

      7th Mar 2005

"Shenan Stanley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eN$(E-Mail Removed)...

> 2 DVD+/-RWs
>
> That way you can read/write CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW.

Yes that's probably a good idea. I think I'd go for two identical drives to
avoid any problems with DVD incompatibility

Yves Leclerc

      7th Mar 2005
You no longer need to have two identical drives. Just make sure that both
drives are Double Layered and can do both DVD+RW / DVD-RW.

news:spUWd.31632$(E-Mail Removed)-ops.be...