Business Contact Manager 2007 won't install with Windows 7

Solid

      4th Jan 2010
I can't get Business Contact Manager to install: 'Setup didn't complete'.
Every time I try, I also get 'Known compatibility issues with SQL Server
2005. Apply SP3 before you run it' and when I search for online help, I'm
told Microsoft has no solution but will notify me when there is one.

Surely this can't be true? Did Microsoft release a new operating system
that's incompatible with it's mainstream software? Can anyone help me get
through this installation? FYI I have Windows 7 and Office 2007 ... and now
wish I had stuck with XP and Office 2003

InsideSMBCRM

      6th Jan 2010
I don't beleive that this is so much about Windows 7 as it is about the SQL
server version on the system.

I have successfully installed other applications that use SQL 2005 on Win 7.

I have seen issues where BCM installs fail because it is not happy with
pre-existing version of SQL on the system.

Only solution I was able to come up with was to uninstall previously
installed SQL, install BCM and then install other application...

M Scott Schaffernoth
www.winnovative.com
Twitter: @InsideSMBCRM

"Solid" wrote:

> I can't get Business Contact Manager to install: 'Setup didn't complete'.
> Every time I try, I also get 'Known compatibility issues with SQL Server
> 2005. Apply SP3 before you run it' and when I search for online help, I'm
> told Microsoft has no solution but will notify me when there is one.
>
> Surely this can't be true? Did Microsoft release a new operating system
> that's incompatible with it's mainstream software? Can anyone help me get
> through this installation? FYI I have Windows 7 and Office 2007 ... and now
> wish I had stuck with XP and Office 2003

Sandcarver

      7th Jan 2010
I think I'm having the same problem. When I try to install BCM, I get an
error message stating that "Setup failed to install the required component
Microsoft Office 2007 Primary Interop Assemblies. Microsoft Office
Professional 2007 CD 2 cannot continue." and Setup terminates.

I upgraded WinXP to Windows 7 over the Holidays and after encountering
difficulties with Avidian Prophet, an Outlook CRM Add-In, decided to have a
look at BCM. So I installed it on a laptop still running XP, decided it would
work, and then tried to install it on my Windows 7 desktop, without success.

The Programs and Features screen in the Control Panel shows that I have
several SQL servers/components installed, and I'm uncertain which ones I
would need to uninstall. They are:

Microsoft SQL Server 2005
Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition (ENU)
Microsoft SQL Server Compact 3.5 Design Tools ENU
Microsoft SQL Server Compact 3.5 ENU
Microsoft SQL Server Database Publishing Wizard 1.2
Microsoft SQL Server Native Client
Microsoft SQL Server Setup Support Files (English)
Microsoft SQL Server VSS Writer

Which components would I need to install to get BCM to install correctly?
And which can I then add back? And how do I do that?

I'm guessing that some of these were installed when I installed Microsoft
Expression Studio 2, with Visual Studio 2008 (which is bundled with
Expression Studio) and perhaps then Expression Web 3.

I definitely do need to have the Expression applications working properly
and although I don't know how to do anything with Visual Studio, I'm hoping
to learn how to program in C# with it.

..
"InsideSMBCRM" wrote:

> I don't beleive that this is so much about Windows 7 as it is about the SQL
> server version on the system.
>
> I have successfully installed other applications that use SQL 2005 on Win 7.
>
> I have seen issues where BCM installs fail because it is not happy with
> pre-existing version of SQL on the system.
>
> Only solution I was able to come up with was to uninstall previously
> installed SQL, install BCM and then install other application...
>
> M Scott Schaffernoth
> www.winnovative.com
> Twitter: @InsideSMBCRM
>
> "Solid" wrote:
>
> > I can't get Business Contact Manager to install: 'Setup didn't complete'.
> > Every time I try, I also get 'Known compatibility issues with SQL Server
> > 2005. Apply SP3 before you run it' and when I search for online help, I'm
> > told Microsoft has no solution but will notify me when there is one.
> >
> > Surely this can't be true? Did Microsoft release a new operating system
> > that's incompatible with it's mainstream software? Can anyone help me get
> > through this installation? FYI I have Windows 7 and Office 2007 ... and now
> > wish I had stuck with XP and Office 2003

sdurman

      8th Jan 2010
Yes, you must install SP3 for SQL Server 2005, and you must install it BEFORE
opening BCM for the first time. I found this link when I was preparing to
install BCM for first time on a win 7 computer, and it installed without
problem. Good luck!
http://windowsitpro.com/articles/pri...ticleid=103015