BT Broadband and Linksys Router

=?Utf-8?B?QXJpYW5uYQ==?=

      1st Dec 2004
I have recently had BT Broadband installed with a Voyager 205 modem/router.
This has a USB connection and a ethernet connection for another computer. I
have a Linksys router (previously used with NTL broadband which I am unable
to get where we live now) and I am having problems connecting 2 other
computers. I have tried connecting the ethernet connection on the
Broadband/modem router to the Wan port of the Linksys router (and then the
cat5 cables from the various pc's into the Linksys ports) but it will not
connect. Any suggestions most gratefully accepted!

=?Utf-8?B?QXJpYW5uYQ==?=

      1st Dec 2004
Also want to add that all 4 pc's are running Win XP ;-)

"Arianna" wrote:

> I have recently had BT Broadband installed with a Voyager 205 modem/router.
> This has a USB connection and a ethernet connection for another computer. I
> have a Linksys router (previously used with NTL broadband which I am unable
> to get where we live now) and I am having problems connecting 2 other
> computers. I have tried connecting the ethernet connection on the
> Broadband/modem router to the Wan port of the Linksys router (and then the
> cat5 cables from the various pc's into the Linksys ports) but it will not
> connect. Any suggestions most gratefully accepted!

Ron Sommer

      1st Dec 2004
If you are using the WAN port, the cable connecting the Linksys router to
the Voyager router has to be a crossover cable.
If the Linksys router has an uplink port, use it instead of the WAN port and
use a regular cable. Using the uplink port will disable the # 1 port.
--
Ron Sommer

"Arianna" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Also want to add that all 4 pc's are running Win XP ;-)
>
> "Arianna" wrote:
>
>> I have recently had BT Broadband installed with a Voyager 205
>> modem/router.
>> This has a USB connection and a ethernet connection for another computer.
>> have a Linksys router (previously used with NTL broadband which I am
>> unable
>> to get where we live now) and I am having problems connecting 2 other
>> computers. I have tried connecting the ethernet connection on the
>> Broadband/modem router to the Wan port of the Linksys router (and then
>> the
>> cat5 cables from the various pc's into the Linksys ports) but it will not
>> connect. Any suggestions most gratefully accepted!

NobodyMan

      2nd Dec 2004
On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 05:17:00 -0600, "Ron Sommer"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>If you are using the WAN port, the cable connecting the Linksys router to
>the Voyager router has to be a crossover cable.
>If the Linksys router has an uplink port, use it instead of the WAN port and
>use a regular cable. Using the uplink port will disable the # 1 port.

I'm Nick Burns, your company computer guy.

MOVE!

Only hook up a crossover cable between the modem and the Linksys
router if you want it NOT to work.

All connections from the router to the modem and the router to the
computers are done using a standard CAT5 cable. No need for
crossovers.

Leythos

      2nd Dec 2004
In article <#(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> If you are using the WAN port, the cable connecting the Linksys router to
> the Voyager router has to be a crossover cable.
> If the Linksys router has an uplink port, use it instead of the WAN port and
> use a regular cable. Using the uplink port will disable the # 1 port.

The Linksys units DO NOT have a MDI/MDX port, they only have ONE port
for the WAN connection, which is also the connection on the Internet
Side of the solution.

The 4 port units, have 5 jacks for the LAN (private network) side of the
solution, port 1 usually shares with the cross-over port - but it's on
the LAN side.

If he can't get the WAN to CABLE MODEM connection working, then he
should check to see if the unit requires PPOE or something like a
host/domain name in order to work with that Cable Company.

Step 1 - Turn off all power to everything
Step 2 - Connect ethernet jack from cable modem to WAN jack on Linksys
Step 3 - Connect ports 1-4 (linksys) to computers
Step 4 - Turn on power on cable modem - wait 120 seconds
Step 5 - Turn on power to Linksys - wait 60 seconds
Step 6 - Turn on computers, check to make sure that IP is assigned
by DHCP

At computers - browse to Yahoo.com - if it works you're good to go, if
it fails follow next steps:

1) Open CMD window (dos box), type IPCONFIG /ALL
2) Look for IP Address......... 192.168.X.Y
3) Make note of default gateway IP address

If you get 169.anything then the linksys is not talking to your computer
properly, or you didn't connect the cable between the computer NIC and
the Linksys LAN port.

If you get 192.168.X.Y then you can see the linksys, this means your
problem is between the cable modem and the Linksys WAN port.

Open a web browser, browse to HTTP://192.168.X.Y, where X.Y is the
default gateway IP address.

enter the user/password as specified in the router manual.

Click on Status - it should indicate what IP the Cable Modem is
providing to the router - if none, then call the ISP and ask them what
to do.

(E-Mail Removed)
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

Ron Sommer

      2nd Dec 2004
I am having trouble understanding your setup.
You have 4 computers connected to the LAN ports.
Are 2 computers working?
Did you setup the Linksys router with the BT Broadband settings?
--
Ron Sommer

"Arianna" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Also want to add that all 4 pc's are running Win XP ;-)
>
> "Arianna" wrote:
>
>> I have recently had BT Broadband installed with a Voyager 205
>> modem/router.
>> This has a USB connection and a ethernet connection for another computer.
>> have a Linksys router (previously used with NTL broadband which I am
>> unable
>> to get where we live now) and I am having problems connecting 2 other
>> computers. I have tried connecting the ethernet connection on the
>> Broadband/modem router to the Wan port of the Linksys router (and then
>> the
>> cat5 cables from the various pc's into the Linksys ports) but it will not
>> connect. Any suggestions most gratefully accepted!

=?Utf-8?B?QXJpYW5uYQ==?=

      2nd Dec 2004
Ok what I have done because of too many cables is now go for a wireless
router/modem and all seems well.. so far. the only slight hiccup I am having
is while the host pc (my laptop) is gtting a strong signal the other 3 are
getting low -very low signals. not sure if this is because my pc is connected
by ethernet and the other 3 have wireless network cards tho?