brother printer - full ink cartridge but does not print

Anna Lck

      31st Dec 2008
Good morning,

I have a "brother DCP -115C" printer.
So far I was happy with it.
Now, I'm getting really upset with it:
Althought the ink cartridge for black is full I cannot
print a simple black and white document.
Its display is showing "Ink Empty Yellow" and "Replace Ink".

I do not want to buy new yellow ink because I simply
do not use colours. It really annoys me that brother tries
to make me wasting money and ink.

Does anyone know how to make the printer print WITHOUT
replacing the empty yellow ink cartridge (it is actually
not empty, maybe 1/5 left)?

Thank you very much,
Anna

Mary

      31st Dec 2008
"Anna Lck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Good morning,
>
> I have a "brother DCP -115C" printer.
> So far I was happy with it.
> Now, I'm getting really upset with it:
> Althought the ink cartridge for black is full I cannot
> print a simple black and white document.
> Its display is showing "Ink Empty Yellow" and "Replace Ink".
>
> I do not want to buy new yellow ink because I simply
> do not use colours. It really annoys me that brother tries
> to make me wasting money and ink.
>
> Does anyone know how to make the printer print WITHOUT
> replacing the empty yellow ink cartridge (it is actually
> not empty, maybe 1/5 left)?
>
> Thank you very much,
> Anna

I've had a Canon IP4000 for two years. It has 3 colours and two black
cartridges, and if any of the colours run out, it won't work at all. I can't
print black by itself. I think most newer printers are like that as far as I
know,though there may be some which allow you to print black only. I find it
annoying too, as lots of times I might still want to print black only. Its a
way for the manufacturer to get you to buy cartridges as far as I can see. I
also have a Canon IP 1500 which has one black and one tri colour cartridge,
and when the tri colour cartridge runs out, you can still print with black.
So sometimes I use it if I have a lot of black to print. I don't know about
your yellow cartridges having 1/5 left though. My printer gives a warning
first like "ink is low" when you can still print a couple more printings,
then shows "ink is out" and the printer is disabled..

Mary

measekite

      31st Dec 2008
On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 18:17:56 -0800, Anna Lück wrote:

> Good morning,
>
> I have a "brother DCP -115C" printer.
> So far I was happy with it.
> Now, I'm getting really upset with it:
> Althought the ink cartridge for black is full I cannot
> print a simple black and white document.
> Its display is showing "Ink Empty Yellow" and "Replace Ink".

When you buy trash is does not take long to be unhappy with it. It looks
like you found that out.

> I do not want to buy new yellow ink because I simply do not use colours.
> It really annoys me that brother tries to make me wasting money and ink.

Go get a BW Laser. I hear Brother does not make a real bad one of those.

> Does anyone know how to make the printer print WITHOUT replacing the
> empty yellow ink cartridge (it is actually not empty, maybe 1/5 left)?
>
> Thank you very much,
> Anna

measekite

      31st Dec 2008
On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 23:44:35 -0500, Mary wrote:

> "Anna Lück" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Good morning,
>>
>> I have a "brother DCP -115C" printer.
>> So far I was happy with it.
>> Now, I'm getting really upset with it:
>> Althought the ink cartridge for black is full I cannot
>> print a simple black and white document.
>> Its display is showing "Ink Empty Yellow" and "Replace Ink".
>>
>> I do not want to buy new yellow ink because I simply
>> do not use colours. It really annoys me that brother tries
>> to make me wasting money and ink.
>>
>> Does anyone know how to make the printer print WITHOUT
>> replacing the empty yellow ink cartridge (it is actually
>> not empty, maybe 1/5 left)?
>>
>> Thank you very much,
>> Anna

> I've had a Canon IP4000 for two years. It has 3 colours and two black
> cartridges, and if any of the colours run out, it won't work at all. I
> can

That information is simply INCORRECT. I have an IP4000 and it does print
when a color runs out. But you can burn out your printhead. Be sure to
check your color monitor and use Canon OEM ink for best results.

't print black by itself. I think most newer printers are like that
> as far as I know,though there may be some which allow you to print black
> only. I find it annoying too, as lots of times I might still want to
> print black only. Its a way for the manufacturer to get you to buy
> cartridges as far as I can see. I also have a Canon IP 1500 which has

That is not true. The Canon IP1500 is such junk that I think one should
put tape over the Canon name if they want to use it.

> one black and one

tri colour cartridge, and when the tri colour

Tri color carts are a waste. Just like in the Kodak printers when one
color runs out you need to throw the rest of the ink away.

> cartridge runs out, you can still print with black. So sometimes I use
> it if I have a lot of black to print. I don't know about your yellow
> cartridges having 1/5 left though. My printer gives a warning first like
> "ink is low" when you can still print a couple more printings, then
> shows "ink is out" and the printer is disabled..

Only if you use Canon Oem ink.

> Mary

Mary

      31st Dec 2008
"measekite" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:MfD6l.11805$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 23:44:35 -0500, Mary wrote:
>
> > "Anna Lück" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Good morning,
> >>
> >> I have a "brother DCP -115C" printer.
> >> So far I was happy with it.
> >> Now, I'm getting really upset with it:
> >> Althought the ink cartridge for black is full I cannot
> >> print a simple black and white document.
> >> Its display is showing "Ink Empty Yellow" and "Replace Ink".
> >>
> >> I do not want to buy new yellow ink because I simply
> >> do not use colours. It really annoys me that brother tries
> >> to make me wasting money and ink.
> >>
> >> Does anyone know how to make the printer print WITHOUT
> >> replacing the empty yellow ink cartridge (it is actually
> >> not empty, maybe 1/5 left)?
> >>
> >> Thank you very much,
> >> Anna

> > I've had a Canon IP4000 for two years. It has 3 colours and two black
> > cartridges, and if any of the colours run out, it won't work at all. I
> > can

> That information is simply INCORRECT. I have an IP4000 and it does print
> when a color runs out. But you can burn out your printhead. Be sure to
> check your color monitor and use Canon OEM ink for best results.

Well, I've never been able to get it to run when it says any of the
cartridges are "out of ink" and I've used OEM cartridges a lot of the time.
So I don't know how you can get it to work and I can't. The printer is not
burned out. Once that sign appears on the status detector, the printer won't
run at all.

> 't print black by itself. I think most newer printers are like that
> > as far as I know,though there may be some which allow you to print black
> > only. I find it annoying too, as lots of times I might still want to
> > print black only. Its a way for the manufacturer to get you to buy
> > cartridges as far as I can see. I also have a Canon IP 1500 which has

> That is not true. The Canon IP1500 is such junk that I think one should
> put tape over the Canon name if they want to use it.

The Canon IP1500 is a great printer. put tape over yourself.

> > one black and one

> tri colour cartridge, and when the tri colour
>
> Tri color carts are a waste. Just like in the Kodak printers when one
> color runs out you need to throw the rest of the ink away.

Tri color works fine. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, the same
as you like to give yours.

> > cartridge runs out, you can still print with black. So sometimes I use
> > it if I have a lot of black to print. I don't know about your yellow
> > cartridges having 1/5 left though. My printer gives a warning first like
> > "ink is low" when you can still print a couple more printings, then
> > shows "ink is out" and the printer is disabled..

> Only if you use Canon Oem ink.

Of course. >

Anna Lck

      31st Dec 2008
On 31 Dec, 07:13, "Mary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "measekite" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:MfD6l.11805$(E-Mail Removed)...> On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 23:44:35 -0500, Mary wrote:
>
> > > "Anna Lck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > > I've had a Canon IP4000 for two years. It has 3 colours and two black
> > > cartridges, and if any of the colours run out, it won't work at all. I
> > > can

> > That information is simply INCORRECT. *I have an IP4000 and it does print
> > when a color runs out. *But you can burn out your printhead. *Be sure to
> > check your color monitor and use Canon OEM ink for best results.

> Well, I've never been able to get it to run when it says any of the
> cartridges are "out of ink" and I've used OEM cartridges a lot of the time.
> So I don't know how you can get it to work and I can't. The printer is not
> burned out. Once that sign appears on the status detector, the printer won't
> run at all.
>
> > 't print black by itself. I think most newer printers are like that
> > > as far as I know,though there may be some which allow you to print black
> > > only. I find it annoying too, as lots of times I might still want to
> > > print black only. Its a way for the manufacturer to get you to buy
> > > cartridges as far as I can see. I also have a Canon IP 1500 which has

> > That is not true. *The Canon IP1500 is such junk that I think one should
> > put tape over the Canon name if they want to use it.

> The Canon IP1500 is a great printer. put tape over yourself.
>
> > > one black and one

> > tri colour cartridge, and when the tri colour

> > Tri color carts are a waste. *Just like in the Kodak printers when one
> > color runs out you need to throw the rest of the ink away.

> Tri color works fine. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, the same
> as you like to give yours.
>
> > > cartridge runs out, you can still print with black. So sometimes I use
> > > it if I have a lot of black to print. *I don't know about your yellow
> > > cartridges having 1/5 left though. My printer gives a warning first like
> > > "ink is low" when you can still print a couple more printings, then
> > > shows "ink is out" and the printer is disabled..

> > Only if you use Canon Oem ink.

> Of course. >

Thank you for your answers.

Is there a way of getting my current brother printer to print rather
than
considering buying other printers? I don't want to spend money on a
new resp. other printer.

I would like to know of how to get my brother printer print.

Don Phillipson

      31st Dec 2008
"Anna Lck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> . . .
> Is there a way of getting my current brother printer to print rather
> than considering buying other printers? I don't want to spend money on a
> new resp. other printer.

It would be cheaper to replace the colour cartridge(s).
Brother DCPs appear to accept unbranded replacement
cartridges (at least my DCP 330C and DCP 540CN do.)
Many brands of printer will not function with a single
empty ink cartridge.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

measekite

      31st Dec 2008
On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 01:13:18 -0500, Mary wrote:

> "measekite" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:MfD6l.11805$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 23:44:35 -0500, Mary wrote:
>>
>> > "Anna Lück" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> >

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> > I've had a Canon IP4000 for two years. It has 3 colours and two black
>> > cartridges, and if any of the colours run out, it won't work at all. I
>> > can

>> That information is simply INCORRECT. I have an IP4000 and it does print
>> when a color runs out. But you can burn out your printhead. Be sure to
>> check your color monitor and use Canon OEM ink for best results.

> Well, I've never been able to get it to run when it says any of the
> cartridges are "out of ink" and I've used OEM cartridges a lot of the time.
> So I don't know how you can get it to work and I can't. The printer is not
> burned out. Once that sign appears on the status detector, the printer won't
> run at all.

That is because you do not ask the right questions.

An Example:

What operating system are you using?

What driver are you using?

These are just two questions.

>> 't print black by itself. I think most newer printers are like that
>> > as far as I know,though there may be some which allow you to print black
>> > only. I find it annoying too, as lots of times I might still want to
>> > print black only. Its a way for the manufacturer to get you to buy
>> > cartridges as far as I can see. I also have a Canon IP 1500 which has

>> That is not true. The Canon IP1500 is such junk that I think one should
>> put tape over the Canon name if they want to use it.

> The Canon IP1500 is a great printer. put tape over yourself.
>
>> > one black and one

>> tri colour cartridge, and when the tri colour
>>
>> Tri color carts are a waste. Just like in the Kodak printers when one
>> color runs out you need to throw the rest of the ink away.

> Tri color works fine. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, the same
> as you like to give yours.
>
>> > cartridge runs out, you can still print with black. So sometimes I use
>> > it if I have a lot of black to print. I don't know about your yellow
>> > cartridges having 1/5 left though. My printer gives a warning first like
>> > "ink is low" when you can still print a couple more printings, then
>> > shows "ink is out" and the printer is disabled..

>> Only if you use Canon Oem ink.

> Of course. >

Anna Lck

      31st Dec 2008
On 31 Dec, 16:54, measekite <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 01:13:18 -0500, Mary wrote:
> > "measekite" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:MfD6l.11805$(E-Mail Removed)...

> >news:(E-Mail Removed)....

> >> That information is simply INCORRECT. *I have an IP4000 and it does print
> >> when a color runs out. *But you can burn out your printhead. *Be sure to
> >> check your color monitor and use Canon OEM ink for best results.

> > Well, I've never been able to get it to run when it says any of the
> > cartridges are "out of ink" and I've used OEM cartridges a lot of the time.
> > So I don't know how you can get it to work and I can't. The printer is not
> > burned out. Once that sign appears on the status detector, the printer won't
> > run at all.

> That is because you do not ask the right questions.
>
> An Example:
>
> What operating system are you using?
>
> What driver are you using?
>
> These are just two questions.

Well, I'm just a silly Windows XP user.
The driver is the standard one which was also delivered with the
printer:
It's version 5.01 for Windows2000/XP, date: 28 April 2005.

Shall I update it?

Please let me know what other information you need.

Mary

      31st Dec 2008
"measekite" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:iBM6l.15576$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 01:13:18 -0500, Mary wrote:
>
> > "measekite" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:MfD6l.11805$(E-Mail Removed)...

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> That information is simply INCORRECT. I have an IP4000 and it does

print
> >> when a color runs out. But you can burn out your printhead. Be sure

> >> check your color monitor and use Canon OEM ink for best results.

> > Well, I've never been able to get it to run when it says any of the
> > cartridges are "out of ink" and I've used OEM cartridges a lot of the

time.
> > So I don't know how you can get it to work and I can't. The printer is

not
> > burned out. Once that sign appears on the status detector, the printer

won't
> > run at all.

> That is because you do not ask the right questions.
>
> An Example:
>
> What operating system are you using?
>
> What driver are you using?
>
> These are just two questions.

In my case, are you saying that if I used a particular operating system
and/or a particular driver, I could get my printer to print black text only
even if one of my colors say the status detector says I have to replace
yellow cartridge as it is out of ink. Not just low on ink but out of ink.

Just for information, I use Win XP and drivers that came with the printer.

Mary