Breakpoints don't work .NETCF debugging with VS 2005

sdmsmiller

      29th Jul 2009
Hi:

I'm running WinCE 6.0 with .NETCF 2.0 debugging to an ARMV4I processor. I
built the platform in Release and built and installed the PB SDK for this
platform on my PC which is running VS 2005. I'm running ConmanClient2 and
CMAccept (armv4i version from VS 2005).

The code deploys fine but none of the breakpoints are hit. As an example, I
set a breakpoint on the first line within

static void Main(string[] args)

However if I launch with Debug / Step Into new instance, then the debugger
responds by stopping on the open curly brace to Main(). I can subsequently
step through the code and continue to debug.

Also, if I hit Pause, it will break into the code fine and show me the code
being run for the current running thread. I can continue to debug by
stepping through the code.

Does anyone have an idea why the breakpoints would not work?

David.

DickGrier

      30th Jul 2009
Hi,

You must be in Debug (not Release) mode for the Breakpoints to work.
Release includes no debugging information, so the breakpoint does not exist
in the actual executable code.

You observe that Debug mode works correctly, so I'm unclear why you think
that a debugging operation should work in Release mode. In general, you'd
use Release mode, only after the code has been fully debugged. There are
performance implications for executables that include debug information, so
that is one reason to not include debug information in production code.

Dick

--
Richard Grier (Microsoft MVP - Visual Basic) Hard & Software 12962 West
Louisiana Avenue Lakewood, CO 80228 303-986-2179 (voice) Homepage:

stealthrabbi

      30th Jul 2009
On Jul 29, 2:52*pm, sdmsmiller <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I'm running WinCE 6.0 with .NETCF 2.0 debugging to an ARMV4I processor. *I
> built the platform in Release and built and installed the PB SDK for this
> platform on my PC which is running VS 2005. *I'm running ConmanClient2 and
> CMAccept (armv4i version from VS 2005).
>
> The code deploys fine but none of the breakpoints are hit. *As an example, I
> set a breakpoint on the first line within
>
> static void Main(string[] args)
>
> However if I launch with Debug / Step Into new instance, then the debugger
> responds by stopping on the open curly brace to Main(). *I can subsequently
> step through the code and continue to debug.
>
> Also, if I hit Pause, it will break into the code fine and show me the code
> being run for the current running thread. *I can continue to debug by
> stepping through the code.
>
> Does anyone have an idea why the breakpoints would not work?
>
> David.

David

I have had the same problem before. The issue i had was that I did not
have the same version of the compact framework on both my
development / deployment PC, and the device of which the application
was running. I use ActiveSync on my setup.

sdmsmiller

      30th Jul 2009
Thank you very much! That was it. I did not install the .NETCF 2.0 SP1
patch against VS 2005. Once I did that, it ran fine. I appreciate your
help.