Both CPU cores working?

Chris8786@gmail.com

      13th Feb 2007
Hey guys, I was just curious how to test if both cores work. I have a
AMD 4200X2 and in Everest home edition under Motherboard - CPU it
shows CPU Utilization and both cores. Core #2 is always the one that
handles the loads. How if the software wrong or my CPU running
inefficiently?

Check out the 2 images I uploaded if you're curious what I mean.

http://how-can-you-tell-if-both-cpu-...R2WFGZOgXVzcaA

http://how-can-you-tell-if-both-cpu-...rGwkQDWveO3DqA

Alex Mizrahi

      13th Feb 2007
(message (Hello '(E-Mail Removed))
(you :wrote n '(12 Feb 2007 18:01:23 -0800))
(

C> Hey guys, I was just curious how to test if both cores work. I have a
C> AMD 4200X2 and in Everest home edition under Motherboard - CPU it
C> shows CPU Utilization and both cores. Core #2 is always the one that
C> handles the loads. How if the software wrong or my CPU running
C> inefficiently?

C> Check out the 2 images I uploaded if you're curious what I mean.

cpu utilization is 54% on this image, so there's enough work only for 0.51
CPU, not for 2 CPUs.
run some two heavy tasks (if you can't find one, check some benchmark, like
cpu burn or whatever).
i'm not sure, but that Everest might have a button to run benchmarks on both
cores..

)
"?? ???? ??????? ?????")

SteveSch

      13th Feb 2007
On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 18:01:23 -0800, Chris8786 wrote:

> Hey guys, I was just curious how to test if both cores work. I have a AMD
> 4200X2 and in Everest home edition under Motherboard - CPU it shows CPU
> Utilization and both cores. Core #2 is always the one that handles the
> loads. How if the software wrong or my CPU running inefficiently?

Both cores appear to be working. What OS? My understanding is that XP Home
won't use both cpus. Could be wrong though.

Watch your load meter (photo #1) and run several programs at the same
time. Make them programs that use some cpu cycles. Having firefox, and
your email program just sitting open won't use many.

I have a dual Xeon system, Linux. I can really see both cpus working
when I am encoding a video while working with graphics. My browser will be
downloading mp3 along with several other open programs, but they aren't
taking many cycles.

Many folks have ran 2 instances of Prime95. Do a google search on dual
core stability testing. They will tell you how to work both cores.

Steve

ComStat

      13th Feb 2007
I use SpeedFan 2.8. It shows both cores being utilized, memory, and
fan speed.

n Tue, 13 Feb 2007 07:39:43 -0700, SteveSch <THISEMAIL@IS_FAKE.COM>
wrote:

>On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 18:01:23 -0800, Chris8786 wrote:
>
>> Hey guys, I was just curious how to test if both cores work. I have a AMD
>> 4200X2 and in Everest home edition under Motherboard - CPU it shows CPU
>> Utilization and both cores. Core #2 is always the one that handles the
>> loads. How if the software wrong or my CPU running inefficiently?

>Both cores appear to be working. What OS? My understanding is that XP Home
>won't use both cpus. Could be wrong though.
>
>Watch your load meter (photo #1) and run several programs at the same
>time. Make them programs that use some cpu cycles. Having firefox, and
>your email program just sitting open won't use many.
>
>I have a dual Xeon system, Linux. I can really see both cpus working
>when I am encoding a video while working with graphics. My browser will be
>downloading mp3 along with several other open programs, but they aren't
>taking many cycles.
>
>Many folks have ran 2 instances of Prime95. Do a google search on dual
>core stability testing. They will tell you how to work both cores.
>
>Steve

Chris8786@gmail.com

      16th Feb 2007
On Feb 13, 9:38 am, "Alex Mizrahi" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> (message (Hello '(E-Mail Removed))
> (you :wrote n '(12 Feb 2007 18:01:23 -0800))
> (
>
> C> Hey guys, I was just curious how to test if both cores work. I have a
> C> AMD 4200X2 and in Everest home edition under Motherboard - CPU it
> C> shows CPU Utilization and both cores. Core #2 is always the one that
> C> handles the loads. How if the software wrong or my CPU running
> C> inefficiently?
>
> C> Check out the 2 images I uploaded if you're curious what I mean.
>
> cpu utilization is 54% on this image, so there's enough work only for 0.51
> CPU, not for 2 CPUs.
> run some two heavy tasks (if you can't find one, check some benchmark, like
> cpu burn or whatever).
> i'm not sure, but that Everest might have a button to run benchmarks on both
> cores..
>
> )
> (With-best-regards '(Alex Mizrahi) :aka 'killer_storm)
> "?? ???? ??????? ?????")

Thanks for the posts, well maybe I haven't worked it hard enough.
I'll try pushing it more. I'm using XP Pro x64 edition. I was just
worried that I wasn't getting the bang for my buck. Next time I rip a
CD ill run a virus scan and launch photoshop or something and see if
I can get both cores to give a load reading. Whats some good
benchmark software thats easy to use? I haven't got into overclocking
or anything.

Chris8786@gmail.com

      17th Feb 2007

Ok here's what I've got. I'm guessing that maybe this software can't
read both cores load and add both loads and displays in the 2nd core.

I ran a virus scan, Windows Defender Scan, Spybot Scan, and launched
Photoshop CS2 and the load hit 100% just a few quick time and never
showed a load under Core #1. Task manager shows 100% CPU usage. Do
you guys still think my PC might be under utilized? Any other way to
get a for sure reading on both cores?

Noozer

      17th Feb 2007

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Ok here's what I've got. I'm guessing that maybe this software can't
> read both cores load and add both loads and displays in the 2nd core.
>
> I ran a virus scan, Windows Defender Scan, Spybot Scan, and launched
> Photoshop CS2 and the load hit 100% just a few quick time and never
> showed a load under Core #1. Task manager shows 100% CPU usage. Do
> you guys still think my PC might be under utilized? Any other way to
> get a for sure reading on both cores?

What OS?

josh.higgs@gmail.com

      18th Feb 2007

> > Ok here's what I've got. I'm guessing that maybe this software can't
> > read both cores load and add both loads and displays in the 2nd core.

> > I ran a virus scan, Windows Defender Scan, Spybot Scan, and launched
> > Photoshop CS2 and the load hit 100% just a few quick time and never
> > showed a load under Core #1. Task manager shows 100% CPU usage. Do
> > you guys still think my PC might be under utilized? Any other way to
> > get a for sure reading on both cores?

You could try Hot CPU from www.7byte.com, which does good testing of
CPUs. I have a dual core Intel, and it seems to split the load
somewhat evenly between the cores. It has never had one core maxed out
and the other idle, and I would be worried too. Of course you have
AMD, but I think that program might help you. It takes a long time to
test, though (5 hours).

Josh