bootcfg /rebuild in Recovery Console

=?Utf-8?B?Um9iUm95?=

      28th Feb 2007
Trying to fix my C: drive.
I load the XP CD and get the recovery console.
I type:
Fixmbr c:
fixboot c:
bootcfg /rebuild
It scans all disks and says scan successful.
Window installs:1
[1] c:\windows
It asks: Add installation to boot list? (Y, N, All) (I answer Y)
Enter load identifier: (?? I answer aa)
Enter OS load options: (?? I answer "enter")
It exits to:
C:\Windows>
What is the correct answer for these 3 questions?
What do they want?
Are there more questions?
Did it do the rebuild?

=?Utf-8?B?bmFzcw==?=

      28th Feb 2007

"RobRoy" wrote:

> Trying to fix my C: drive.
> I load the XP CD and get the recovery console.
> I type:
> Fixmbr c:
> fixboot c:
> bootcfg /rebuild
> It scans all disks and says scan successful.
> Window installs:1
> [1] c:\windows
> It asks: Add installation to boot list? (Y, N, All) (I answer Y)
> Enter load identifier: (?? I answer aa)
> Enter OS load options: (?? I answer "enter")
> It exits to:
> C:\Windows>
> What is the correct answer for these 3 questions?
> What do they want?
> Are there more questions?
> Did it do the rebuild?

Boot up with your CD in the CD ROM and when you presented with Windows Setup
1- Install Windows
2- Repair existing copy
3- Quit
Select 2 by Pressing R on your keyboard, on the Command Prompt type:
C:\Windows>CD.. Hit [Enter..] on your Keyboard
on the new Prompt type this:
C:\>
1- Install Windows
2- Repair existing copy
3- Quit
Select 2 by Pressing R on your keyboard, on the Command Prompt type:
C:\Windows>CD.. Hit [Enter..] on your Keyboard
on the new Prompt type this:
C:\>
copy X:\i386\ntldr c:\ where X is the Drive Letter for your CD-Rom
copy X:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\ " " "
Please type one at a time click/Hit [Enter..]
You may need to rebuild your Boot.ini type this on the Prompt:
C:\>Boot.ini click Enter and you will see your Boot.ini you can Edit it or
if was intact leave as is, the boot.ini will look like this, be aware this
for XP Home so if you have XP pro:

[1] C:\Windows
Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All)
= You receive a message that is similar to the following message:
Enter Load Identifier
This is the name of the operating system. When you receive this
message, type the name of your operating system, and then press ENTER.
This is either

Microsoft Windows XP Professional or Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition.

= You receive a message that is similar to the following:
Enter OS Load options
When you receive this message, type /fastdetect, and then press ENTER.

Note The instructions that appear on your screen may be different,
depending on the configuration of your machine.

- Type exit, and then press ENTER to quit Recovery Console. Your
computer restarts, and the updated boot list appears when you receive
the "Please select the operating system to start" message".

The boot.ini will look like this:
[boot loader]
timeout=5
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
Edition" /fastdetect
You will get Boot Indentifier: Enter this " Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition"
Boot Loader: Enter this" /fastdetect"
When you finished type: reboot (I'm not sure if it is right you can Type ?
to get the list of commands and see if reboot is one) or Exit.

That is the Recovery Console:

HTH.
Please let us know.
Regards,
nass
------
www.nasstec.co.uk

John John

      28th Feb 2007
RobRoy wrote:

> Trying to fix my C: drive.
> I load the XP CD and get the recovery console.
> I type:
> Fixmbr c:
> fixboot c:
> bootcfg /rebuild
> It scans all disks and says scan successful.
> Window installs:1
> [1] c:\windows
> It asks: Add installation to boot list? (Y, N, All) (I answer Y)
> Enter load identifier: (?? I answer aa)
> Enter OS load options: (?? I answer "enter")
> It exits to:
> C:\Windows>
> What is the correct answer for these 3 questions?
> What do they want?
> Are there more questions?
> Did it do the rebuild?

The third question is for a boot.ini switch. Put /fastdetect. Another
common switch (with SP2) is the DEP /NoExecute=[option] switch. You
can have more than one switch in the file, example :

Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

For your purpose you can put the /fasstdetect only switch and try to
boot the pc. You can edit the file later and add other switches.

John

=?Utf-8?B?Um9iUm95?=

      3rd Mar 2007
Thanks all for the help.

I load the XP CD and get the recovery console.
At the command prompt "C:\WINDOWS\ >" I type CD C:\ and get the command
prompt "C:\>"
I then type:
Fixmbr c:
fixboot c:
bootcfg /rebuild

It scans all disks and says the scan was successful. I answer the 3
questions and at the command prompt "C:\>" I remove the WinXP CD and
type EXIT
The pc then reboots and goes through the POST procedure.
BUT it can't find any boot device!! It tries the floppy, IDE-0 and the CD
and says:
Insert a floppy and press any key to reboot.
If I went thru the above recovery console commands why didn't it find the
Boot record at IDE-0?