Blue Screen - fast

John

      14th Sep 2003
Periodically I get a blue screen - but it goes by so fast that I can't read
much of it. Is it stored in a dump file someplace?

John

Dan Seur

      14th Sep 2003
John - navigate to
Start/Settings/ControlPanel/System/Advanced(Tab)/StartupRecovery
and uncheck Automatically Reboot.
The BSOD will remain on the screen next time this happens.

The BSOD may not show the info you need if it's a hardware problem (like
a bad RAM chip or a loose or bad cable or a failing mainboard component)
or a software problem that instantly kills the OS.

Look also in Device Manager,in
ControlPanel/AdminTools/ComputerManagement
for any oddities, and of course also in Event Viewer.

John wrote:
> Periodically I get a blue screen - but it goes by so fast that I can't read
> much of it. Is it stored in a dump file someplace?
>
> John

Danny W

      14th Sep 2003
Yes, the path to the file is set in:
CONTROL PANEL > ADVANCED > STARTUP + RECOVERY

the default location is %SYSTEMROOT%\Minidump

> Periodically I get a blue screen - but it goes by so fast that I can't

read
> much of it. Is it stored in a dump file someplace?
>
> John

John

      15th Sep 2003
OK - thanks to both of you. Found the dump file and also how to set it to
not auto reboot. Not sure how to read the dump file though - but next BSOD
I should be able to see the offending component.

John

"Danny W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):