Blocking Port 80 with windows firewall

scott

      4th Aug 2005
I came across the below article concerning windows firewall. is there a way
to either add entries into the windows firewall applet or modify the
registry to block all incoming traffic on port 80 for a win xp pc? i run a
personal iis setup for development, but don't wish to allow port 80 to be
open for no reason.

Every once in a while, norton anti-virus notifies me that a malicious script
is trying to access that port. i'd love to block incoming traffic for IIS6
and SQL server.

http://www.windowsecurity.com/articl...-Firewall.html

MAP

      4th Aug 2005
scott wrote:
> I came across the below article concerning windows firewall. is there
> a way to either add entries into the windows firewall applet or
> modify the registry to block all incoming traffic on port 80 for a
> win xp pc? i run a personal iis setup for development, but don't wish
> to allow port 80 to be open for no reason.
>
> Every once in a while, norton anti-virus notifies me that a malicious
> script is trying to access that port. i'd love to block incoming
> traffic for IIS6 and SQL server.
>
> http://www.windowsecurity.com/articl...-Firewall.html

Port 80 is used to connect to the internet,if you want to block all traffic
just cancel your ISP.

--
Mike Pawlak

Steve Winograd [MVP]

      4th Aug 2005
In article <O#(E-Mail Removed)>, "MAP"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>scott wrote:
>> I came across the below article concerning windows firewall. is there
>> a way to either add entries into the windows firewall applet or
>> modify the registry to block all incoming traffic on port 80 for a
>> win xp pc? i run a personal iis setup for development, but don't wish
>> to allow port 80 to be open for no reason.
>>
>> Every once in a while, norton anti-virus notifies me that a malicious
>> script is trying to access that port. i'd love to block incoming
>> traffic for IIS6 and SQL server.
>>
>> http://www.windowsecurity.com/articl...-Firewall.html

>Port 80 is used to connect to the internet,if you want to block all traffic
>just cancel your ISP.

Mike, the Windows Firewall blocks unsolicited incoming traffic, not
normal Internet access through a web browser. When I send my web
browser to a web site, the firewall remembers the connection request
(the site's IP address and the local port on my computer), and it
allows the reply from the web site to come through.

Scott, Windows Firewall blocks unsolicited incoming traffic on Port 80
by default. Nothing can get through unless you (or a program that you
install) explicitly create an exception for that port. Look on the
Exceptions tab in the Windows Firewall window.

What exactly is Norton telling you?
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com