Blocking large attachments in Outlook

=?Utf-8?B?Um9yeQ==?=

      1st Nov 2007
A user attached a 1.2 GB movie to an email and attempted to send it. On the
Exchange backend I have a 150 MB max limit for messages. This limitation
works on emails exceeding that limit by dropping the message and sending an
NDR. However, that does not prevent the user from trying to send a 1.2 GB
message. Is there a way to prevent a user from physically attaching an
attachment in Outlook?

Rory

Brian Tillman

      1st Nov 2007
Rory <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> A user attached a 1.2 GB movie to an email and attempted to send it.
> On the Exchange backend I have a 150 MB max limit for messages. This
> limitation works on emails exceeding that limit by dropping the
> message and sending an NDR. However, that does not prevent the user
> from trying to send a 1.2 GB message. Is there a way to prevent a
> user from physically attaching an attachment in Outlook?

Do you want to prevent all attachments? Your version of Outlook might make
a difference. Always mention the version when posting.

You might want to ask in microsoft.public.outlook.program_vba where the
coders hang out.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

=?Utf-8?B?Um9yeQ==?=

      1st Nov 2007
Brian,

Thanks. I'll try the other forum too. I am running Outlook 2003 SP2. No,
we don't want to block any attachments per se just certain sized attachments.
I can prevent messages over a certain size from being sent on Exchange but
that does not prevent the user from physically attaching their OS to a
message and pushing the send button.

Rory

"Brian Tillman" wrote:

> Rory <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > A user attached a 1.2 GB movie to an email and attempted to send it.
> > On the Exchange backend I have a 150 MB max limit for messages. This
> > limitation works on emails exceeding that limit by dropping the
> > message and sending an NDR. However, that does not prevent the user
> > from trying to send a 1.2 GB message. Is there a way to prevent a
> > user from physically attaching an attachment in Outlook?

> Do you want to prevent all attachments? Your version of Outlook might make
> a difference. Always mention the version when posting.
>
> You might want to ask in microsoft.public.outlook.program_vba where the
> coders hang out.
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Brian Tillman

      2nd Nov 2007
Rory <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Thanks. I'll try the other forum too. I am running Outlook 2003
> SP2. No, we don't want to block any attachments per se just certain
> sized attachments. I can prevent messages over a certain size from
> being sent on Exchange but that does not prevent the user from
> physically attaching their OS to a message and pushing the send
> button.

I'd be VERY surprised if you can get that granularity. I would expect that,
if the ability exists at all, it would be an all-or-nothing approach. There
are multiple ways to attach something to a message, some of which are basic
to Windows and not the application, that I don't see how you'd address them
all.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]