PC Review

Closed Thread

Blank Word page opens before saved Doc

3rd Jun 2012
I have a Dell Inspiron laptop running Win7, FF and Microsoft Essentials.

The problem I've been having for some months is that when I open a Word doc that I've saved it will open a blank page first. This isn't, I'm sure, serious, but it is darned annoying having to close two of them. I might add that this usually happens only when I first open a document after boot up. If I open a saved doc any time after it doesn't happen, well rarely anyway. At first I found that some of my docs had been saved (somehow) as Macro Enabled. I changed them all and the problem cleared but only temporarily. I've compared Word Options in both screens when they open and they all seem to be the same.

Now since I'm a writer and am frequently creating and saving Word docs I really would like to knock this on the head. I did find an old thread here and tried the remedy but without success. Can anyone help - pleeease?

4x4 Cruncher

3rd Jun 2012
See Word 2007 with Win7

Yorkshire Cruncher

3rd Jun 2012
Not sure what's happened, feckit, but your link simply brings up this thread again.

System Spec

Colossus 1943 Version 1.0

3rd Jun 2012
I found the same thing, feckit.

4x4 Cruncher

3rd Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by nivrip View Post
Not sure what's happened, feckit, but your link simply brings up this thread again.
Niv, Nelli0 had two threads on the same subject & one has been deleted by a Mod!

Excel Formulator

4th Jun 2012
Look for Normal.dotm in C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates and change the ".dotm" to ".old" and let me know if that fixes it for you.

4th Jun 2012
I just opened a Word doc after trying your solution. Only my saved file opened up! However, I shall see what happens next time I boot up because I've been this far before. Thanks for the remedy though. I'll let you know how things progress.
I Found several files named Normal and one called Normal1. Do I need them all? No idea what they are.

Excel Formulator

4th Jun 2012
Normal.dotm is the standard template that Word uses for new, blank documents. Renaming it to Normal.old forces Word to create a new one the next time you start the program without actually deleting it so you don't lose any autotext, or things that may be saved in the normal template. If you have several, you probably have Normal.dot and Normal.dotm. The dot version is from older versions of Word.

4th Jun 2012
Just to test your solution I switched off my pc completely. Then I booted up again to open a saved document. Hey presto, only the one appeared. No blank grey (except for Word toolbar) screen. I am so grateful alow. I've searched for months for a remedy for this annoying little habit. It seems now that you have solved it for me.
I very much hope so anyway. Thanks again.

Excel Formulator

4th Jun 2012
Glad I could help

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: