Black Screen - Can't play AVI on Power Point 03

JF

      30th Jun 2009
I insert a video (.avi) on Power Point 03 and as soon as the video starts I
end-up with a black screen on the video area but can still hear the sound...

I tried to put the movie directly on my C drive or in the same folder than
the presentation, it doesn't help.

Any idea?
Thanks!

Less Spam Better enjoyable experience
Visit : news://spacesst.com

LVTravel

      30th Jun 2009

"JF" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I insert a video (.avi) on Power Point 03 and as soon as the video starts
> end-up with a black screen on the video area but can still hear the
> sound...
>
> I tried to put the movie directly on my C drive or in the same folder than
> the presentation, it doesn't help.
>
> Any idea?
> Thanks!

Are you projecting or directly on the computer's video display? If
projecting using a laptop and projector this is a known issue for some
laptops. See:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...vice/0063.mspx

If on the computer's monitor only, this could be an issue with codecs. An
..avi file is only a container for many different types of video files and
the computer must have the proper decoder (codec) to enable the program to
show the movie. Does the .avi file play using Windows Media Player? If not
it is definitely a codec issue.

I would recommend you convert the file to a .wmv (Windows Media Video) file
before inserting into a PPT presentation. Since WMV is a standard file type
available on all computers running Microsoft Windows (at least Win '98 &
newer) you don't have to worry as much about if the file will play.

Michael Koerner

      30th Jun 2009

Have a look here and see if this doe not fix your problem.
Videos play correctly on computer but not on projector (black box)
http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00467.htm

--
Michael Koerner
MS MVP - PowerPoint

"JF" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
I insert a video (.avi) on Power Point 03 and as soon as the video starts I
end-up with a black screen on the video area but can still hear the sound...

I tried to put the movie directly on my C drive or in the same folder than
the presentation, it doesn't help.

Any idea?
Thanks!

JF

      30th Jun 2009

Windows uses software called "video drivers" to communicate with your
computer's screen. If the video driver or its hardware aren't perfect, it can
cause display problems, especially with software like PowerPoint, which
really gives the display a good workout.

If you're having display problems, there's a Windows setting that can help
you track down the cause of the problem and temporarily work around it. It's
called Graphics Hardware Acceleration. Here's how you use it:

http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00129.htm

"JF" wrote:

> I insert a video (.avi) on Power Point 03 and as soon as the video starts I
> end-up with a black screen on the video area but can still hear the sound...
>
> I tried to put the movie directly on my C drive or in the same folder than
> the presentation, it doesn't help.
>
> Any idea?
> Thanks!

LVTravel

      1st Jul 2009

"JF" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Windows uses software called "video drivers" to communicate with your
> computer's screen. If the video driver or its hardware aren't perfect, it
> can
> cause display problems, especially with software like PowerPoint, which
> really gives the display a good workout.
>
> If you're having display problems, there's a Windows setting that can help
> you track down the cause of the problem and temporarily work around it.
> It's
> called Graphics Hardware Acceleration. Here's how you use it:
>
> http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00129.htm
>
> "JF" wrote:
>
>> I insert a video (.avi) on Power Point 03 and as soon as the video starts
>> end-up with a black screen on the video area but can still hear the
>> sound...
>>
>> I tried to put the movie directly on my C drive or in the same folder
>> than
>> the presentation, it doesn't help.
>>
>> Any idea?
>> Thanks!

You are getting responses asking or pointing to using a projector for you
..AVI file. Please answer that question to allow us to narrow our responses
to your first post. Is this happening only with a projector or is it
happening with the computer's display?

IndyJEL

      4th Jul 2009

"Steve Rindsberg" wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Jf wrote:
> > I insert a video (.avi) on Power Point 03 and as soon as the video starts I
> > end-up with a black screen on the video area but can still hear the sound...
> >
> > I tried to put the movie directly on my C drive or in the same folder than
> > the presentation, it doesn't help.

> Have a look here:
>
> Videos play correctly on computer but not on projector (black box)
> http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00467.htm
>

> ==============================
> PPT Frequently Asked Questions
> http://www.pptfaq.com/
>
> PPTools add-ins for PowerPoint
> http://www.pptools.com/

PMFJI. I have a similar problem. I am running PPT 03 on an XP Tablet
machine. I was trying the training video for including movie files, but when
I get to the slide with Bee.mpg I can hear the bee buzzing, but the screen
stays uniformly black. I have played with my graphics accelerator, from full
to none, but to no effect.

I can play bee.mpg directly with either Windows Media Player or with
QuickTime, but not inside PPT.

IndyJEL

      5th Jul 2009

"Steve Rindsberg" wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, IndyJEL wrote:

> > > Have a look here:
> > >
> > > Videos play correctly on computer but not on projector (black box)
> > > http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00467.htm
> > >

> > > ==============================
> > > PPT Frequently Asked Questions
> > > http://www.pptfaq.com/
> > >
> > > PPTools add-ins for PowerPoint
> > > http://www.pptools.com/
> > >

> > PMFJI. I have a similar problem. I am running PPT 03 on an XP Tablet
> > machine. I was trying the training video for including movie files, but when
> > I get to the slide with Bee.mpg I can hear the bee buzzing, but the screen
> > stays uniformly black. I have played with my graphics accelerator, from full
> > to none, but to no effect.
> >
> > I can play bee.mpg directly with either Windows Media Player or with
> > QuickTime, but not inside PPT.

> Have you tried the other suggestions on that same FAQ page ?
>
> I'd start there.
> ==============================
> PPT Frequently Asked Questions
> http://www.pptfaq.com/
>
> PPTools add-ins for PowerPoint
> http://www.pptools.com/

Yes, Steve, I have. I played around with it for awhile and the problem
appears to be with something in PowerPoint. I was editing from an existing
PP presentation and in the existing PP the mpg won't play. I was editing
from the training, and in that one the PP wouldn't work. But when I started
with a completely new sheet, it would work. What gives with that??

IndyJEL

      6th Jul 2009

"Steve Rindsberg" wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, IndyJEL wrote:

> > > Have you tried the other suggestions on that same FAQ page ?
> > >
> > > I'd start there.
> > > ==============================
> > > PPT Frequently Asked Questions
> > > http://www.pptfaq.com/
> > >
> > > PPTools add-ins for PowerPoint
> > > http://www.pptools.com/
> > >

> > Yes, Steve, I have. I played around with it for awhile and the problem
> > appears to be with something in PowerPoint. I was editing from an existing
> > PP presentation and in the existing PP the mpg won't play. I was editing
> > from the training, and in that one the PP wouldn't work. But when I started
> > with a completely new sheet, it would work. What gives with that??

> It could be any number of things, but try deleting and re-inserting the movie into the
> problem file. See if that sorts it out.
>
> ==============================
> PPT Frequently Asked Questions
> http://www.pptfaq.com/
>
> PPTools add-ins for PowerPoint
> http://www.pptools.com/

It only worked if I deleted everything back to (but not including) the
design layout and then inserted the movie.

IndyJEL

New Member

      21st Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JF
I insert a video (.avi) on Power Point 03 and as soon as the video starts I
end-up with a black screen on the video area but can still hear the sound...

I tried to put the movie directly on my C drive or in the same folder than
the presentation, it doesn't help.

Any idea?
Thanks!

Less Spam Better enjoyable experience
Visit : news://spacesst.com
issues it could be:
  • codec problem - see if the avis run in the mci player (PowerPoint uses this to run videos, not Windows Media Player)
  • file path length problem - try moving ppt ad avi to the same folder directly on your C drive then reinsert the avi
If it cant play,maybe you need recode it.