Bizarre MS EXCEL problem - files will not open via document ICONs

Filk.com

      5th May 2006
Ok this is such a bizarre, weird problem I have to toss it out to
everyone to see if they can figure out what is going on.

Problem in a nutshell: This just started a week ago. A team of people
in the accounting department has been using Microsoft Excel for years
to track information. They have reasonably new computer running XP and
office 2003. If they try to open a excel files on their computer or on
a network drive (original or shortcut) by double clicking on it Excel
launches software but opens up blank screen (not even the blank
worksheet).

Now they can access their files by going to the file pull down menu and
then chose open file, navigate to the file and open it then. This
second method the documents open just fine. Here's the kicker, no one
else in the company (100+) has this problem all, and they can access
and use these files like normal.

I have done all the obvious things:

-- Created new shortcuts and documents
-- Put the old information into a new document
-- Everything has been patched and up-to-date
-- Office has been uninstalled and reinstalled from scratch.
-- The rest of office software (Word, PowerPoint, Access) all works
fine.
-- Viruses -scanned and found none.
-- Scanned for spyware and a like. I found a few minor things, but they
were cleaned up and it didn't change / fix the problem.
-- I have also tried the reregistering (excel /unregserver ..... excel
/regserver) fix

I'm been avoiding doing a complete format and re-install of
everything or giving them new computers.

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks for the help

Jim Rech

      5th May 2006
>>Ok this is such a bizarre, weird problem

Not at all. People report this all the time.

Turn off Ignore Other Applications under Tools, Options, General.

--
Jim
"Filk.com" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| Ok this is such a bizarre, weird problem I have to toss it out to
| everyone to see if they can figure out what is going on.
|
| Problem in a nutshell: This just started a week ago. A team of people
| in the accounting department has been using Microsoft Excel for years
| to track information. They have reasonably new computer running XP and
| office 2003. If they try to open a excel files on their computer or on
| a network drive (original or shortcut) by double clicking on it Excel
| launches software but opens up blank screen (not even the blank
| worksheet).
|
| Now they can access their files by going to the file pull down menu and
| then chose open file, navigate to the file and open it then. This
| second method the documents open just fine. Here's the kicker, no one
| else in the company (100+) has this problem all, and they can access
| and use these files like normal.
|
| I have done all the obvious things:
|
| -- Created new shortcuts and documents
| -- Put the old information into a new document
| -- Everything has been patched and up-to-date
| -- Office has been uninstalled and reinstalled from scratch.
| -- The rest of office software (Word, PowerPoint, Access) all works
| fine.
| -- Viruses -scanned and found none.
| -- Scanned for spyware and a like. I found a few minor things, but they
| were cleaned up and it didn't change / fix the problem.
| -- I have also tried the reregistering (excel /unregserver ..... excel
| /regserver) fix
|
| I'm been avoiding doing a complete format and re-install of
| everything or giving them new computers.
|
| Anyone have any thoughts or ideas?
|
| Thanks for the help

Filk.com

      5th May 2006