      1st Jun 2012
From: "Yousuf Khan" <(E-Mail Removed)>

> I've been trying to remember this, and I honestly can't remember it anymore. In MS-DOS,
> where were the standard external commands located? The only thing I remember about
> MS-DOS was that the command.com was located in the root directory (along with
> autoexec.bat, config.sys, and the hidden files msdos.sys & io.sys). Slightly different
> names for the PC-DOS version, such as pcdos.sys & ibmio.sys, but otherwise identical.
> The standard external commands were those like chkdsk or xcopy, which weren't built into
> the command.com. Was there an MSDOS folder or something which contained these commands?
>
> Yousuf Khan

It depended upon the DOS falvour; PC/MS/DR.

However it was always located in the PATH (%PATH%).

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

John Williamson

      1st Jun 2012
David H. Lipman wrote:
> From: "Yousuf Khan" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
>> I've been trying to remember this, and I honestly can't remember it anymore. In MS-DOS,
>> where were the standard external commands located? The only thing I remember about
>> MS-DOS was that the command.com was located in the root directory (along with
>> autoexec.bat, config.sys, and the hidden files msdos.sys & io.sys). Slightly different
>> names for the PC-DOS version, such as pcdos.sys & ibmio.sys, but otherwise identical.
>> The standard external commands were those like chkdsk or xcopy, which weren't built into
>> the command.com. Was there an MSDOS folder or something which contained these commands?
>>
>> Yousuf Khan

> It depended upon the DOS falvour; PC/MS/DR.
>
> However it was always located in the PATH (%PATH%).

I normally kept mine in the C:\DOS directory, and made sure both it and
C:\$PROGDIR for all the programs were in the path. As long as all the
program locations were in the path, it didn't really matter where they were.

On a Toshiba laptop I had with DOS 3.3 in ROM when first booted from
new, it showed all the DOS commands in C:\, with everything else on D:\,
which was the Hard Drive, and the path was set to include D:\ by
default. This worked fine until you found a program which was hard coded
only to run from the C: drive, then I had to copy the contents of the
ROM onto the HD, and disable the ROM in the BIOS, losing about half a
megabyte of the 10 megabyte HD. I've still got the Toshiba DOS 6.xx
extensions on floppy somewhere, along with install floppies for all
MS-DOS versions except DOS 4.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

glee

      1st Jun 2012
"Yousuf Khan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4fc92b8c$(E-Mail Removed)-lp.com...
> I've been trying to remember this, and I honestly can't remember it
> anymore. In MS-DOS, where were the standard external commands located?
> The only thing I remember about MS-DOS was that the command.com was
> located in the root directory (along with autoexec.bat, config.sys,
> and the hidden files msdos.sys & io.sys). Slightly different names for
> the PC-DOS version, such as pcdos.sys & ibmio.sys, but otherwise
> identical. The standard external commands were those like chkdsk or
> xcopy, which weren't built into the command.com. Was there an MSDOS
> folder or something which contained these commands?
>
> Yousuf Khan

As I recall, the default location for MS-DOS (at least v. 5 and 6.x) was
at C:\DOS
--
Glen Ventura
MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009

Ken Blake

      2nd Jun 2012
On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 17:26:07 -0400, "glee" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> "Yousuf Khan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4fc92b8c$(E-Mail Removed)-lp.com...
> > I've been trying to remember this, and I honestly can't remember it
> > anymore. In MS-DOS, where were the standard external commands located?
> > The only thing I remember about MS-DOS was that the command.com was
> > located in the root directory (along with autoexec.bat, config.sys,
> > and the hidden files msdos.sys & io.sys). Slightly different names for
> > the PC-DOS version, such as pcdos.sys & ibmio.sys, but otherwise
> > identical. The standard external commands were those like chkdsk or
> > xcopy, which weren't built into the command.com. Was there an MSDOS
> > folder or something which contained these commands?
> >
> > Yousuf Khan

> As I recall, the default location for MS-DOS (at least v. 5 and 6.x) was
> at C:\DOS

That's what I remember too, but at my age, I don't trust my memory <g>

glee

      2nd Jun 2012
"Ken Blake" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 17:26:07 -0400, "glee" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> "Yousuf Khan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:4fc92b8c$(E-Mail Removed)-lp.com...
>> > I've been trying to remember this, and I honestly can't remember it
>> > anymore. In MS-DOS, where were the standard external commands
>> > located?
>> > The only thing I remember about MS-DOS was that the command.com was
>> > located in the root directory (along with autoexec.bat, config.sys,
>> > and the hidden files msdos.sys & io.sys). Slightly different names
>> > for
>> > the PC-DOS version, such as pcdos.sys & ibmio.sys, but otherwise
>> > identical. The standard external commands were those like chkdsk or
>> > xcopy, which weren't built into the command.com. Was there an MSDOS
>> > folder or something which contained these commands?
>> >
>> > Yousuf Khan

>> As I recall, the default location for MS-DOS (at least v. 5 and 6.x)
>> was
>> at C:\DOS

> That's what I remember too, but at my age, I don't trust my memory <g>

yes, well with MS-DOS, you need less memory anyway... lol

Ken Blake

      2nd Jun 2012
On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 20:55:33 -0400, "glee" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> "Ken Blake" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 17:26:07 -0400, "glee" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> "Yousuf Khan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:4fc92b8c$(E-Mail Removed)-lp.com...

> >> As I recall, the default location for MS-DOS (at least v. 5 and 6.x)
> >> was
> >> at C:\DOS

> > That's what I remember too, but at my age, I don't trust my memory <g>

> yes, well with MS-DOS, you need less memory anyway... lol

LOL from me too. I'm in the minority, but I love puns.

Yousuf Khan

      2nd Jun 2012
On 01/06/2012 4:57 PM, David H. Lipman wrote:
> From: "Yousuf Khan"<(E-Mail Removed)>
>
>> I've been trying to remember this, and I honestly can't remember it anymore. In MS-DOS,
>> where were the standard external commands located? The only thing I remember about
>> MS-DOS was that the command.com was located in the root directory (along with
>> autoexec.bat, config.sys, and the hidden files msdos.sys& io.sys). Slightly different
>> names for the PC-DOS version, such as pcdos.sys& ibmio.sys, but otherwise identical.
>> The standard external commands were those like chkdsk or xcopy, which weren't built into
>> the command.com. Was there an MSDOS folder or something which contained these commands?
>>
>> Yousuf Khan

> It depended upon the DOS falvour; PC/MS/DR.
>
> However it was always located in the PATH (%PATH%).

Yeah, I know it was always available in the path, but was there a
default directory created to hold these commands? For some reason I'm
thinking that there may have been a C:\SYS or SYSTEM folder or
something? Or were they all placed into C:\ the root directory?

Yousuf Khan

VanguardLH

      2nd Jun 2012
Yousuf Khan wrote:

> I've been trying to remember this, and I honestly can't remember it
> anymore. In MS-DOS, where were the standard external commands located?
> The only thing I remember about MS-DOS was that the command.com was
> located in the root directory (along with autoexec.bat, config.sys, and
> the hidden files msdos.sys & io.sys). Slightly different names for the
> PC-DOS version, such as pcdos.sys & ibmio.sys, but otherwise identical.
> The standard external commands were those like chkdsk or xcopy, which
> weren't built into the command.com. Was there an MSDOS folder or
> something which contained these commands?
>
> Yousuf Khan

See replies to the disconnected MULTI-posted copy of your same message
over in the alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt newsgroup.

What does hardware, especially chips, have to do with your question?
Don't shotgun to unrelated newsgroups which results in posting off-topic
within them. With all those cross-posted newsgroups, you didn't even
bother to include the *.msdos newsgroups in your query.

VanguardLH

      2nd Jun 2012
VanguardLH wrote:

> Yousuf Khan wrote:
>
>> I've been trying to remember this, and I honestly can't remember it
>> anymore. In MS-DOS, where were the standard external commands located?
>> The only thing I remember about MS-DOS was that the command.com was
>> located in the root directory (along with autoexec.bat, config.sys, and
>> the hidden files msdos.sys & io.sys). Slightly different names for the
>> PC-DOS version, such as pcdos.sys & ibmio.sys, but otherwise identical.
>> The standard external commands were those like chkdsk or xcopy, which
>> weren't built into the command.com. Was there an MSDOS folder or
>> something which contained these commands?
>>
>> Yousuf Khan

> See replies to the disconnected MULTI-posted copy of your same message
> over in the alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt newsgroup.
>
> What does hardware, especially chips, have to do with your question?
> Don't shotgun to unrelated newsgroups which results in posting off-topic
> within them. With all those cross-posted newsgroups, you didn't even
> bother to include the *.msdos newsgroups in your query.

Oops, I see the problem. You did cross-post to the
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt newsgroup. However, my reply there only
went to that newsgroup. Why? Because TomT changed the Newsgroups list
without issuing notice about his change. I didn't notice he changed the
Newsgroups list. So never mind about the comment about multi-posting
(except regarding the unrelated newsgroups and lack of including the
msdos newsgroups).

See my reply to TomT but only in the alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
newsgroup since that is the only newsgroup that TomT retained in his
Newsgroups list in his reply.

To TomT:
Whenever you change the Newsgroups list, add a comment about making that
change. It's considered netiquette to inform of changing this header.
Lack of notification is typical of troll-like behavior or could be a
mistake in use of your newsreader. If you change the Newsgroups list,
add a note saying which newsgroups you chose to omit in your reply at
the top of your reply post.