Billions of packets sent in the Local Area Connection Status Window.

Chris

      3rd Aug 2003
When I click on the network icon in the systray, the
amount of packets sent is in the high billions, while the
recieved packets is only a few thousand. Even if I reboot
the machine, the packets sent are already about 200
billion by the time the little icon loads in the systray.
It does disturb web surfing. I have ran a full virus
scan, downloaded all available updates, but nothing has
worked. It just started doing this at the end of last
week. I haven't made any changes to my machine lately.
Thanks for any help.

Steve Winograd [MVP]

      3rd Aug 2003
In article <00a001c359f7$1ffe75b0$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Chris"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>When I click on the network icon in the systray, the
>amount of packets sent is in the high billions, while the
>recieved packets is only a few thousand. Even if I reboot
>the machine, the packets sent are already about 200
>billion by the time the little icon loads in the systray.
>It does disturb web surfing. I have ran a full virus
>scan, downloaded all available updates, but nothing has
>worked. It just started doing this at the end of last
>week. I haven't made any changes to my machine lately.
>Thanks for any help.

It isn't possible for your network card to send 200 billion packets in
the time that it takes the computer to reboot.

This could be a network card driver problem. Download and install the
latest XP drivers for your network card.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Steve

      3rd Aug 2003
I'm getting the same thing.

Within my home LAN, it looks like it even takes place
within computers when I unplug the WAN.

But the same thing is occuring.

Steve

Chris

      5th Aug 2003
I completely wiped the machine and started reloading XP.
Then I started doing the Windows update. Next thing I
know, it has the same problem. So I wipe the computer
again. Then reload XP and selectively do the windows
updates. I did all the critical updates, but not the
security updates. The problem has not come back. Guess
that means MS missed a bad patch.

group
>for everyone to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer

questions