PC Review


Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread

Where is the best place to store values for combobox entries

 
 
escamoteur
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      4th Aug 2009
Hi,

I want to add to my custom inspector form a combobox that contains values that the user can define. E.g. Project status.

If Outlook were a relational database I would store this values just in it's own table and populate the combobox from there.

How is the best way to achieve this in Outlook??

Best

Tom
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Sue Mosher [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      4th Aug 2009
Databases, spreadsheets, text files, even Outlook items all can be used to
store such values. You'd use code behind the form to load them when the form
displays and to update the storage source with any new values the user might
have defined. The best approach for specific sceneario depends in part on
the intended scope of the row values. Are they specific to a single item? A
single user? All users?

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of Microsoft Outlook 2007 Programming:
Jumpstart for Power Users and Administrators
http://www.outlookcode.com/article.aspx?id=54


"escamoteur" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I want to add to my custom inspector form a combobox that contains values
> that the user can define. E.g. Project status.
>
> If Outlook were a relational database I would store this values just in
> it's own table and populate the combobox from there.
>
> How is the best way to achieve this in Outlook??
>
> Best
>
> Tom



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      4th Aug 2009
Is this a fixed list or a list that can change?

What version of Outlook?

--
Ken Slovak
[MVP - Outlook]
http://www.slovaktech.com
Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007.
Reminder Manager, Extended Reminders, Attachment Options.
http://www.slovaktech.com/products.htm


"escamoteur" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I want to add to my custom inspector form a combobox that contains values
> that the user can define. E.g. Project status.
>
> If Outlook were a relational database I would store this values just in
> it's own table and populate the combobox from there.
>
> How is the best way to achieve this in Outlook??
>
> Best
>
> Tom
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
escamoteur
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      5th Aug 2009
Sorry for not beeing more specific.

It's Outlook 2007 and it will be a single user plugin that should be configurable by the user. I want to have everything stored in
the .pst file if possible.

Think of the list like the Categories of outlook items, only that this categories only belong to my item type. The user should be
able to add and delete categories that he needs.

Best

Tom



"Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is this a fixed list or a list that can change?
>
> What version of Outlook?
>
> --
> Ken Slovak
> [MVP - Outlook]
> http://www.slovaktech.com
> Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007.
> Reminder Manager, Extended Reminders, Attachment Options.
> http://www.slovaktech.com/products.htm
>
>
> "escamoteur" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I want to add to my custom inspector form a combobox that contains values that the user can define. E.g. Project status.
>>
>> If Outlook were a relational database I would store this values just in it's own table and populate the combobox from there.
>>
>> How is the best way to achieve this in Outlook??
>>
>> Best
>>
>> Tom
>>

>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      5th Aug 2009
OK, if this is only for Outlook 2007 or later then I'd recommend using a
StorageItem for that. A StorageItem is what's know in MAPI circles as a
hidden item, in the Associated Contents table for a folder. You can use a
StorageItem in any folder and it's invisible to the user. It can only be
accessed using code, so users can't mess around with your hidden storage.

Using that you can store the list in the body of the hidden item as a
newline separated list and then just split the body on newlines (carriage
return + line feed) when you want to recover or modify the list.

That way the list will travel with the PST file and should do what you want.

--
Ken Slovak
[MVP - Outlook]
http://www.slovaktech.com
Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007.
Reminder Manager, Extended Reminders, Attachment Options.
http://www.slovaktech.com/products.htm


"escamoteur" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sorry for not beeing more specific.
>
> It's Outlook 2007 and it will be a single user plugin that should be
> configurable by the user. I want to have everything stored in the .pst
> file if possible.
>
> Think of the list like the Categories of outlook items, only that this
> categories only belong to my item type. The user should be able to add and
> delete categories that he needs.
>
> Best
>
> Tom


 
Reply With Quote
 
escamoteur
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      7th Aug 2009
Thanks a lot, that was what I was looking for.
Best
Tom

"Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> OK, if this is only for Outlook 2007 or later then I'd recommend using a
> StorageItem for that. A StorageItem is what's know in MAPI circles as a
> hidden item, in the Associated Contents table for a folder. You can use a
> StorageItem in any folder and it's invisible to the user. It can only be
> accessed using code, so users can't mess around with your hidden storage.
>
> Using that you can store the list in the body of the hidden item as a
> newline separated list and then just split the body on newlines (carriage
> return + line feed) when you want to recover or modify the list.
>
> That way the list will travel with the PST file and should do what you want.
>
> --
> Ken Slovak
> [MVP - Outlook]
> http://www.slovaktech.com
> Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007.
> Reminder Manager, Extended Reminders, Attachment Options.
> http://www.slovaktech.com/products.htm
>
>
> "escamoteur" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Sorry for not beeing more specific.
>>
>> It's Outlook 2007 and it will be a single user plugin that should be
>> configurable by the user. I want to have everything stored in the .pst
>> file if possible.
>>
>> Think of the list like the Categories of outlook items, only that this
>> categories only belong to my item type. The user should be able to add and
>> delete categories that he needs.
>>
>> Best
>>
>> Tom

>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where is the best place to store values for combobox entries escamoteur Microsoft Outlook VBA Programming 5 7th Aug 2009 01:20 PM
Best Place to Store Personal Settings Marco Microsoft VB .NET 4 21st Jun 2004 08:09 AM
Best Place To Store Personal Information Marco Microsoft Dot NET Framework Forms 3 20th Jun 2004 03:20 PM
What is the best place to store a connection string? Leo Muller Microsoft ASP .NET 4 17th Feb 2004 05:20 PM
Best place to store e-mail? Lachlan Sharp Microsoft Outlook VBA Programming 0 1st Jul 2003 12:57 AM


Features
 

Advertising
 

Newsgroups
 


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:30 PM.