Best freeware ebook reader for desktop?

Al Smith

      25th Mar 2005
Now that uBook has gone shareware, I've been looking around for a
new ebook reader for my Windows desktop computer (not my Palm,
which takes different ebook readers entirely). uBook stopped
working after I upgraded with Service Pack 2 in Windows XP, so I
need something else.

I've installed yBook, which seems pretty good, but it's a bit
clunky. Does anybody else have recommendations on a free ebook
reader for the PC?

Tom McDonald

      26th Mar 2005
Al Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:qUZ0e.4879$Ln.225228@ursa-
nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca:

> Now that uBook has gone shareware, I've been looking around for a
> new ebook reader for my Windows desktop computer (not my Palm,
> which takes different ebook readers entirely). uBook stopped
> working after I upgraded with Service Pack 2 in Windows XP, so I
> need something else.
>
> I've installed yBook, which seems pretty good, but it's a bit
> clunky. Does anybody else have recommendations on a free ebook
> reader for the PC?

My preference is for Tom's eTextReader
http://pws.prserv.net/Fellner/Software/eTR.htm
Especially interesting is the integration with Project Gutenberg.
It runs for me under XP SP1, can't swear it works with SP2.

--
Regards,
Tom McD

sno

      26th Mar 2005

I like and use "read assistant"....

http://www.softpile.com/Education/Li...633_index.html

hope helps...have fun....sno

--
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it

This tag line is generated by:

SLTG (Silly Little Tag Generator)

kcaj

      26th Mar 2005
On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 19:46:30 GMT, Al Smith <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Now that uBook has gone shareware, I've been looking around for a
>new ebook reader for my Windows desktop computer (not my Palm,
>which takes different ebook readers entirely). uBook stopped
>working after I upgraded with Service Pack 2 in Windows XP, so I
>need something else.
>
>I've installed yBook, which seems pretty good, but it's a bit
>clunky. Does anybody else have recommendations on a free ebook
>reader for the PC?

http://www.premier-programming.com/

Querulantus

      26th Mar 2005
Tom McDonald <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> My preference is for Tom's eTextReader
> http://pws.prserv.net/Fellner/Software/eTR.htm

Seconded. Very good piece of sotware, and it's compactware.

For the suspicious: it's not Tom McDonald's sTextReader. ;-)

Q.

Mike Mills

      26th Mar 2005
Does anybody else have recommendations on a free ebook
>>reader for the PC?

> http://www.premier-programming.com/

On checking this one out, it needed over 2 hours on my dialup
connection.
26Mb apparently. Rather large for what it does do you not think?

Jeff Needle

      26th Mar 2005

"Mike Mills" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Does anybody else have recommendations on a free ebook
>>>reader for the PC?

>> http://www.premier-programming.com/

> On checking this one out, it needed over 2 hours on my dialup
> connection.
> 26Mb apparently. Rather large for what it does do you not think?

And at the bottom of the page, there's a price mentioned. Funny for
something that's free.

"Limited time" offer? Why have a price at all?

Jeff Needle

      26th Mar 2005

> And at the bottom of the page, there's a price mentioned. Funny for
> something that's free.
>
> "Limited time" offer? Why have a price at all?

Adding to my own post, if a program is available free for a limited time, is
it considered freeware?

Tom McDonald

      26th Mar 2005
kcaj <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 19:46:30 GMT, Al Smith <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Now that uBook has gone shareware, I've been looking around for a
>>new ebook reader for my Windows desktop computer (not my Palm,
>>which takes different ebook readers entirely). uBook stopped
>>working after I upgraded with Service Pack 2 in Windows XP, so I
>>need something else.
>>
>>I've installed yBook, which seems pretty good, but it's a bit
>>clunky. Does anybody else have recommendations on a free ebook
>>reader for the PC?

> http://www.premier-programming.com/

This one will actually read out loud to you, and it's free, but 26 MB is
a large download. Have you tried it, and how does it work for you?

--
Regards,
Tom McD

Al Smith

      26th Mar 2005
> Tom McDonald <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>> My preference is for Tom's eTextReader
>>> http://pws.prserv.net/Fellner/Software/eTR.htm

> Seconded. Very good piece of sotware, and it's compactware.
>
> For the suspicious: it's not Tom McDonald's sTextReader. ;-)
>
> Q.

This one looks pretty good. I'm downloading it now, and will try
it out. It seems to be able to handle TXT, RTF and HTML, and to be
able to look inside ZIP archives, which is the minimum I would
expect in an e-book reader. The latest Release Candidate even
seems to be able to read MS Word DOC files and Palm files. If it
can do all this smoothly, about the only thing it is missing is
the ability to see inside RAR archives.