Best Backup Program

David

      11th May 2010

I am looking for recommendations on the best backup program available.

My workstation is currently running XP PRO/SP3, but may eventually
upgrade to Windows 7, so compatability with both is a plus.

I would like the ability to mirror my main c: drive to a bootable
external drive.

I would like to be able to backup an entire internal or external drive
to a different external drive.

I do not plan on backing up to DvDs or optical disk.

Being able to backup individual directories/files would be a plus.

Compression is unimportant. My external drive is 1TB & I have 150 GB
internal capacity. I'd prefer to have a plain vanilla backup - that
is I'd be able to use Windows Explorer to view the backup & retrieve a
file if I choose.

Quality, reliability, and ease of use take precedence over cost. If I
can not accomplish what I want with one program, multiple programs are
fine.

Jim

      11th May 2010
On Tue, 11 May 2010 05:18:18 -0400, David wrote:

>I am looking for recommendations on the best backup program available.
>
>My workstation is currently running XP PRO/SP3, but may eventually
>upgrade to Windows 7, so compatability with both is a plus.
>
>I would like the ability to mirror my main c: drive to a bootable
>external drive.
>
>I would like to be able to backup an entire internal or external drive
>to a different external drive.
>
>I do not plan on backing up to DvDs or optical disk.
>
>Being able to backup individual directories/files would be a plus.
>
>Compression is unimportant. My external drive is 1TB & I have 150 GB
>internal capacity. I'd prefer to have a plain vanilla backup - that
>is I'd be able to use Windows Explorer to view the backup & retrieve a
>file if I choose.
>
>Quality, reliability, and ease of use take precedence over cost. If I
>can not accomplish what I want with one program, multiple programs are
>fine.

Acronis True Image (/$ )
Macrium Reflect (/$)
Paragon (/$)
Macrium and Paragon also have free software .

Daave

      11th May 2010
David wrote:
> I am looking for recommendations on the best backup program available.
>
> My workstation is currently running XP PRO/SP3, but may eventually
> upgrade to Windows 7, so compatability with both is a plus.
>
> I would like the ability to mirror my main c: drive to a bootable
> external drive.
>
> I would like to be able to backup an entire internal or external drive
> to a different external drive.
>
> I do not plan on backing up to DvDs or optical disk.
>
> Being able to backup individual directories/files would be a plus.
>
> Compression is unimportant. My external drive is 1TB & I have 150 GB
> internal capacity. I'd prefer to have a plain vanilla backup - that
> is I'd be able to use Windows Explorer to view the backup & retrieve a
> file if I choose.
>
> Quality, reliability, and ease of use take precedence over cost. If I
> can not accomplish what I want with one program, multiple programs are
> fine.

If it weren't for your second paragraph, I would recommend Acronis True
Image in a heartbeat. This program creates self-contained images of the
hard drive (including incremental images) and can create bootable clones
and can also back up just data ("individual directories/files").

Actually, that program would still meet your needs. However, since you
stated you are interested in a bootable clone (at least, that was the
inference I drew), *and* if you want to be able to quickly create
subesequent (i.e., incremental) clones, Casper would be better.

Regarding individual directories/files, you would back them up to a
different drive (i.e., not the bootable clone drive). XP Pro's native
ntbackup program is fine for this if you back up to another hard drive.
Actually, Acronis is fine, too. *And* it can create clones, which is a
nice plus. What it can't do (and what Casper can) is create incremental
clones (which translates to "fast").

I think clones are better for those who cannot afford to wait the amount
of time it takes to restore an image. Since how I use a PC (mostly
casual use) doesn't require bootable clones, I am happy with Acronis.
However, if I were working on time-critical tasks (e.g., day-trading!),
I could see the value of a bootable clone.

More info:

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...cts/trueimage/

http://www.fssdev.com/products/casper/smartclone.aspx

Bootom line:

If you must have an up-to-date bootable clone and if you want to create
these in the fastest way possible, go for Casper. For the individual
files/directories, use ntbackup.

If you want to image your hard drive regularly (and quickly) and also
want to back up data (and still have the option to create a bootable
clone -- just without the ability to create quicker incremental bootable
clones), go with Acronis.

Ken Blake, MVP

      11th May 2010
On Tue, 11 May 2010 05:18:18 -0400, David wrote:

> I am looking for recommendations on the best backup program available.
>
> My workstation is currently running XP PRO/SP3, but may eventually
> upgrade to Windows 7, so compatability with both is a plus.
>
> I would like the ability to mirror my main c: drive to a bootable
> external drive.

What do you mean by "mirror." That term is normally used just for
RAID1, which is very different from backup.

But if you just mean something like "copy," no problem.

> I would like to be able to backup an entire internal or external drive
> to a different external drive.
>
> I do not plan on backing up to DvDs or optical disk.
>
> Being able to backup individual directories/files would be a plus.
>
> Compression is unimportant. My external drive is 1TB & I have 150 GB
> internal capacity. I'd prefer to have a plain vanilla backup - that
> is I'd be able to use Windows Explorer to view the backup & retrieve a
> file if I choose.
>
> Quality, reliability, and ease of use take precedence over cost. If I
> can not accomplish what I want with one program, multiple programs are
> fine.

Acronis True Image.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup

David

      11th May 2010
Ken:

I do mean mirror, not copy.

Unless I am mistaken, when you copy one drive to another, you get the
contents of the first drive copied to the second. This means that the
contents are the same, but the location on the second drive may not be
the same.

Mirroring a drive (at least to me) means just that. Not only are the
contents copied, but the exact locations on the second drive are the
same. Mirroring, I believe, also copies the boot tracks which is
essential if the mirrored drive is to be used as a replacement boot
drive in the event c: fails.

I have an external USB hard drive. the bios on my workstation allows
the external USB drive to be bootable (assuming I read the manual
correctly). I want the c: drive to be mirrored to the external USB
hard drive so I have a functional backup hard drive in case c: fails.

David

On Tue, 11 May 2010 08:04:26 -0700, "Ken Blake, MVP"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 11 May 2010 05:18:18 -0400, David wrote:
>
>> I am looking for recommendations on the best backup program available.
>>
>> My workstation is currently running XP PRO/SP3, but may eventually
>> upgrade to Windows 7, so compatability with both is a plus.
>>
>> I would like the ability to mirror my main c: drive to a bootable
>> external drive.

>What do you mean by "mirror." That term is normally used just for
>RAID1, which is very different from backup.
>
>But if you just mean something like "copy," no problem.
>

>> I would like to be able to backup an entire internal or external drive
>> to a different external drive.
>>
>> I do not plan on backing up to DvDs or optical disk.
>>
>> Being able to backup individual directories/files would be a plus.
>>
>> Compression is unimportant. My external drive is 1TB & I have 150 GB
>> internal capacity. I'd prefer to have a plain vanilla backup - that
>> is I'd be able to use Windows Explorer to view the backup & retrieve a
>> file if I choose.
>>
>> Quality, reliability, and ease of use take precedence over cost. If I
>> can not accomplish what I want with one program, multiple programs are
>> fine.

>Acronis True Image.

Big_Al

      11th May 2010
David said this on 5/11/2010 3:06 PM:
> Ken:
>
> I do mean mirror, not copy.
>
> Unless I am mistaken, when you copy one drive to another, you get the
> contents of the first drive copied to the second. This means that the
> contents are the same, but the location on the second drive may not be
> the same.
>
> Mirroring a drive (at least to me) means just that. Not only are the
> contents copied, but the exact locations on the second drive are the
> same. Mirroring, I believe, also copies the boot tracks which is
> essential if the mirrored drive is to be used as a replacement boot
> drive in the event c: fails.
>
> I have an external USB hard drive. the bios on my workstation allows
> the external USB drive to be bootable (assuming I read the manual
> correctly). I want the c: drive to be mirrored to the external USB
> hard drive so I have a functional backup hard drive in case c: fails.
>
> David
>
> On Tue, 11 May 2010 08:04:26 -0700, "Ken Blake, MVP"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 11 May 2010 05:18:18 -0400, David wrote:
>>
>>> I am looking for recommendations on the best backup program available.
>>>
>>> My workstation is currently running XP PRO/SP3, but may eventually
>>> upgrade to Windows 7, so compatability with both is a plus.
>>>
>>> I would like the ability to mirror my main c: drive to a bootable
>>> external drive.

>> What do you mean by "mirror." That term is normally used just for
>> RAID1, which is very different from backup.
>>
>> But if you just mean something like "copy," no problem.
>>

>>> I would like to be able to backup an entire internal or external drive
>>> to a different external drive.
>>>
>>> I do not plan on backing up to DvDs or optical disk.
>>>
>>> Being able to backup individual directories/files would be a plus.
>>>
>>> Compression is unimportant. My external drive is 1TB& I have 150 GB
>>> internal capacity. I'd prefer to have a plain vanilla backup - that
>>> is I'd be able to use Windows Explorer to view the backup& retrieve a
>>> file if I choose.
>>>
>>> Quality, reliability, and ease of use take precedence over cost. If I
>>> can not accomplish what I want with one program, multiple programs are
>>> fine.

>> Acronis True Image.

I've used Acronis to image a drive and then apply that image to another
drive. I guess in your terms this is copy. I then opened defrag to
look at the layout, and the drive was 100% defragged. Swap and MFT and
all. Really cool. So YES to your first comment about the location
on the drive not being the same on a copy.

I've never done a clone test to see how and what it does.

ANONYMOUS

      11th May 2010
David wrote:
> I am looking for recommendations on the best backup program available.

Norton Ghost 15 or Norton 360; highly recommended by professionals in
the know.

I don't take any advice from Microsoft Valuable Pigs or MVPs after their
name as some form of microsoft tag to isolate them from ordinary pigs
not eaten by jews and muslims.

hth

Shenan Stanley

      11th May 2010
David wrote:
> I am looking for recommendations on the best backup program
> available.
>
> My workstation is currently running XP PRO/SP3, but may eventually
> upgrade to Windows 7, so compatability with both is a plus.
>
> I would like the ability to mirror my main c: drive to a bootable
> external drive.
>
> I would like to be able to backup an entire internal or external
> drive to a different external drive.
>
> I do not plan on backing up to DvDs or optical disk.
>
> Being able to backup individual directories/files would be a plus.
>
> Compression is unimportant. My external drive is 1TB & I have 150
> GB internal capacity. I'd prefer to have a plain vanilla backup -
> that is I'd be able to use Windows Explorer to view the backup &
> retrieve a file if I choose.
>
> Quality, reliability, and ease of use take precedence over cost.
> If I can not accomplish what I want with one program, multiple
> programs are fine.

500GB Seagate Replica.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Daave

      12th May 2010
The term "mirror" is used for RAID technology:

http://www.bestpricecomputers.co.uk/glossary/raid-1.htm

http://www.recoverdata.com/raidfaq.htm

This does not sound like what you were asking about.

From your description below, you are referring to cloning. Is your
external hard drive specifically an eSATA hard drive? Does your
motherboard support eSATA hard drives. If you answer yes to both, then
you can use a cloning program to accomplish what you want.

Also know you can create an image of your hard drive and then restore
that image to the same or a different hard drive and your new drive is
*effectively* a clone of the original. It takes longer, but it still
safeguards all your data and allows you the luxury of not having to
reinstall the OS, updates, applications, etc.

Or you can choose to clone directly. Your choice.

David wrote:
> Ken:
>
> I do mean mirror, not copy.
>
> Unless I am mistaken, when you copy one drive to another, you get the
> contents of the first drive copied to the second. This means that the
> contents are the same, but the location on the second drive may not be
> the same.
>
> Mirroring a drive (at least to me) means just that. Not only are the
> contents copied, but the exact locations on the second drive are the
> same. Mirroring, I believe, also copies the boot tracks which is
> essential if the mirrored drive is to be used as a replacement boot
> drive in the event c: fails.
>
> I have an external USB hard drive. the bios on my workstation allows
> the external USB drive to be bootable (assuming I read the manual
> correctly). I want the c: drive to be mirrored to the external USB
> hard drive so I have a functional backup hard drive in case c: fails.
>
> David
>
> On Tue, 11 May 2010 08:04:26 -0700, "Ken Blake, MVP"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 11 May 2010 05:18:18 -0400, David wrote:
>>
>>> I am looking for recommendations on the best backup program
>>> available.
>>>
>>> My workstation is currently running XP PRO/SP3, but may eventually
>>> upgrade to Windows 7, so compatability with both is a plus.
>>>
>>> I would like the ability to mirror my main c: drive to a bootable
>>> external drive.

>> What do you mean by "mirror." That term is normally used just for
>> RAID1, which is very different from backup.
>>
>> But if you just mean something like "copy," no problem.
>>

>>> I would like to be able to backup an entire internal or external
>>> drive to a different external drive.
>>>
>>> I do not plan on backing up to DvDs or optical disk.
>>>
>>> Being able to backup individual directories/files would be a plus.
>>>
>>> Compression is unimportant. My external drive is 1TB & I have 150
>>> GB internal capacity. I'd prefer to have a plain vanilla backup -
>>> that is I'd be able to use Windows Explorer to view the backup &
>>> retrieve a file if I choose.
>>>
>>> Quality, reliability, and ease of use take precedence over cost.
>>> If I can not accomplish what I want with one program, multiple
>>> programs are fine.

>> Acronis True Image.

Ken Blake, MVP

      12th May 2010
On Tue, 11 May 2010 19:31:09 -0400, "Daave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The term "mirror" is used for RAID technology:

I tried to tell him that, but since he just wanted to argue with me, I
didn't bother replying to his second message, quoted below.