PC Review


Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread

Beginner's question about access control in ASP.Net 2.0

 
 
B. Chernick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      17th Dec 2007
I have extensive programming experience in windows and asp.net 1.1 but I've
just started looking at access control in 2.0 and I'm absolutely lost.
(Background note: I'm writing a 2.0 website for a company intranet, no
outside access so far as I know. I'm using Visual Studio 2005 Team Edition
and I'm only allowed to use SQL Server 2000.)

So before I do anything else I'd like to ask: Does the Web Site
Adminstration Tool even work with SQL Server 2000? (I've read the WSAT help
and I've run aspnet_regsql but I still can't get it to work. Still digging...)
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
sloan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      17th Dec 2007
WSAT is (imho) more for the hobbyist or the most basic of web pages....and
not a real enterprise application.

It is mainly for altering roles inside the web.config file.

I would RUN AWAY from it.

You need to do some searching for
"MembershipProvider" and "RoleProvider".

Go here
http://sholliday.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!A68482B9628A842A!160.entry
and find the scottgu link .... and you'll see how to work within the
confines of Sql Server 2000 as well.

VS2005 put a lot of stuff in .... which is geared toward RAPID development.
I call that prototype development.
So I'd say this...just because its in VS2005, doesn't mean you necessarily
should be using it.

Esp the WSAT. That thing was a complete waste of time.
And it didn't work on a remote setup, only a local web.config file if I
recall correctly. Aka, the hobbyist.


Find the scottgu link ... and work with it. He's forgotten more about
asp.net then most of us will ever learn.







"B. Chernick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have extensive programming experience in windows and asp.net 1.1 but I've
> just started looking at access control in 2.0 and I'm absolutely lost.
> (Background note: I'm writing a 2.0 website for a company intranet, no
> outside access so far as I know. I'm using Visual Studio 2005 Team
> Edition
> and I'm only allowed to use SQL Server 2000.)
>
> So before I do anything else I'd like to ask: Does the Web Site
> Adminstration Tool even work with SQL Server 2000? (I've read the WSAT
> help
> and I've run aspnet_regsql but I still can't get it to work. Still
> digging...)



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
B. Chernick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      17th Dec 2007
Thanks! Couldn't find a scottgu link on that actual page but with a little
searching... I assume you meant this:
http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/default.aspx

Looks like I have a bit of reading to do....


"sloan" wrote:

> WSAT is (imho) more for the hobbyist or the most basic of web pages....and
> not a real enterprise application.
>
> It is mainly for altering roles inside the web.config file.
>
> I would RUN AWAY from it.
>
> You need to do some searching for
> "MembershipProvider" and "RoleProvider".
>
> Go here
> http://sholliday.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!A68482B9628A842A!160.entry
> and find the scottgu link .... and you'll see how to work within the
> confines of Sql Server 2000 as well.
>
> VS2005 put a lot of stuff in .... which is geared toward RAPID development.
> I call that prototype development.
> So I'd say this...just because its in VS2005, doesn't mean you necessarily
> should be using it.
>
> Esp the WSAT. That thing was a complete waste of time.
> And it didn't work on a remote setup, only a local web.config file if I
> recall correctly. Aka, the hobbyist.
>
>
> Find the scottgu link ... and work with it. He's forgotten more about
> asp.net then most of us will ever learn.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> "B. Chernick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have extensive programming experience in windows and asp.net 1.1 but I've
> > just started looking at access control in 2.0 and I'm absolutely lost.
> > (Background note: I'm writing a 2.0 website for a company intranet, no
> > outside access so far as I know. I'm using Visual Studio 2005 Team
> > Edition
> > and I'm only allowed to use SQL Server 2000.)
> >
> > So before I do anything else I'd like to ask: Does the Web Site
> > Adminstration Tool even work with SQL Server 2000? (I've read the WSAT
> > help
> > and I've run aspnet_regsql but I still can't get it to work. Still
> > digging...)

>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
sloan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      17th Dec 2007
http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archi...25/423703.aspx

5th line of my blog entry has the link. (as seen above)



"B. Chernick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks! Couldn't find a scottgu link on that actual page but with a
> little
> searching... I assume you meant this:
> http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/default.aspx
>
> Looks like I have a bit of reading to do....
>
>
> "sloan" wrote:
>
>> WSAT is (imho) more for the hobbyist or the most basic of web
>> pages....and
>> not a real enterprise application.
>>
>> It is mainly for altering roles inside the web.config file.
>>
>> I would RUN AWAY from it.
>>
>> You need to do some searching for
>> "MembershipProvider" and "RoleProvider".
>>
>> Go here
>> http://sholliday.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!A68482B9628A842A!160.entry
>> and find the scottgu link .... and you'll see how to work within the
>> confines of Sql Server 2000 as well.
>>
>> VS2005 put a lot of stuff in .... which is geared toward RAPID
>> development.
>> I call that prototype development.
>> So I'd say this...just because its in VS2005, doesn't mean you
>> necessarily
>> should be using it.
>>
>> Esp the WSAT. That thing was a complete waste of time.
>> And it didn't work on a remote setup, only a local web.config file if I
>> recall correctly. Aka, the hobbyist.
>>
>>
>> Find the scottgu link ... and work with it. He's forgotten more about
>> asp.net then most of us will ever learn.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> "B. Chernick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I have extensive programming experience in windows and asp.net 1.1 but
>> >I've
>> > just started looking at access control in 2.0 and I'm absolutely lost.
>> > (Background note: I'm writing a 2.0 website for a company intranet, no
>> > outside access so far as I know. I'm using Visual Studio 2005 Team
>> > Edition
>> > and I'm only allowed to use SQL Server 2000.)
>> >
>> > So before I do anything else I'd like to ask: Does the Web Site
>> > Adminstration Tool even work with SQL Server 2000? (I've read the WSAT
>> > help
>> > and I've run aspnet_regsql but I still can't get it to work. Still
>> > digging...)

>>
>>
>>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Compile errors when using form control's "Control Source" property to refer to the control's value Yarik Mezheritskiy Microsoft Access Form Coding 3 5th Nov 2004 02:56 AM
Showing 1 control inside a 2nd control where the 2nd control is a derived control. malcolm Microsoft Dot NET Framework Forms 0 10th Jun 2004 10:29 PM
HTML Client Control versus. HTML Server Control versus. Web Server Control Matthew Louden Microsoft VB .NET 1 11th Oct 2003 08:09 PM
HTML Client Control versus. HTML Server Control versus. Web Server Control Matthew Louden Microsoft ASP .NET 1 11th Oct 2003 08:09 PM
Using Table control in a custom composite control. Control does not render properly in design time. jb_in_marietta@yahoo.com Microsoft ASP .NET 0 1st Jul 2003 10:26 PM


Features
 

Advertising
 

Newsgroups
 


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:06 AM.