basics: dns for a subdomain

Tim Moor

      4th Mar 2006
dear dns gurus,
just for understanding: in my lab i have setup a small w2k3 domain
(lab.local). the one and only dc hosts the dns for this domain. now i have
added a subdomain (tek.lab.local).

what do i have to do if i want:

a) the dns of the lab.local domain to be responsible for the tek.lab.local
domain.
b) the tek.lab.local domain to make responsible for its domain.

thank you for your help
tim

Ace Fekay [MVP]

      6th Mar 2006
In news:440a0145$(E-Mail Removed),
Tim Moor <(E-Mail Removed)> stated, which I commented on below:
> dear dns gurus,
> just for understanding: in my lab i have setup a small w2k3 domain
> (lab.local). the one and only dc hosts the dns for this domain. now i
> have added a subdomain (tek.lab.local).
>
> what do i have to do if i want:
>
> a) the dns of the lab.local domain to be responsible for the
> tek.lab.local domain.
> b) the tek.lab.local domain to make responsible for its domain.
>
> thank you for your help
> tim

INstall DNS on the tek.lab.local domain controller. Then create the zone on
that machine, and point ONLY to itself for DNS. Then delegate the child
zone, "tek.lab.local" from the parent zone's machine to the child domain
controller name and IP address. The in the child domain controller's DNS
properties, setup a forwarder to the parent. Then set a forwarder from the
parent to the ISP's.

255248 - HOW TO Create a Child Domain in Active Directory and Delegate the
DNS Namespace to the Child Domain (2000 or 2003):
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=255248

--
Ace

confers no rights.

Having difficulty reading or finding responses to your post?
Instead of the website you're using, I suggest to use OEx (Outlook Express
or any other newsreader), and configure a news account, pointing to
news.microsoft.com. This is a direct link to the Microsoft Public
Newsgroups. It is FREE and requires NO ISP's Usenet account. OEx allows you
to easily find, track threads, cross-post, sort by date, poster's name,
watched threads or subject.

It's easy:
How to Configure OEx for Internet News
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=171164

Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
Microsoft Certified Trainer

Assimilation Imminent. Resistance is Futile
Infinite Diversities in Infinite Combinations

"Very funny Scotty. Now, beam down my clothes."

The only thing in life is change. Anything more is a blackhole consuming
unnecessary energy.