Baloons, baloons and more baloons

JimL

      9th Oct 2009
XP Pro SP3 updated way too more than necessary.

Some weeks ago I suddenly started seeing info baloons EVERYWHERE, all the
time. On the desktop, in browsers, etc., etc.

At one time I had turned off as many baloons as possible, having utterly no
heed of junk popping up in my line of sight constantly.

Any idea what started them up again in plethora style? An update? A fluke?
A glitch? Hitting the wrong key by accident? ???

Thanks

--
JimL

The purpose of complicated software is to provide excitement for geeks with
not enough to do; busy people can go suck eggs. Winstun Churchhill

JimL

      9th Oct 2009
"JimL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hao9cb$1ka$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> XP Pro SP3 updated way too more than necessary.
>
> Some weeks ago I suddenly started seeing info baloons EVERYWHERE, all the
> time. On the desktop, in browsers, etc., etc.
>
> At one time I had turned off as many baloons as possible, having utterly
> no heed of junk popping up in my line of sight constantly.
>
> Any idea what started them up again in plethora style? An update? A
> fluke? A glitch? Hitting the wrong key by accident? ???
>
> Thanks

PS. EnableBalloonTips in registry is set to zero.

--
JimL

The purpose of complicated software is to provide excitement for geeks with
not enough to do; busy people can go suck eggs. Winstun Churchhill

Shenan Stanley

      10th Oct 2009
JimL wrote:
> XP Pro SP3 updated way too more than necessary.
>
> Some weeks ago I suddenly started seeing info baloons EVERYWHERE,
> all the time. On the desktop, in browsers, etc., etc.
>
> At one time I had turned off as many baloons as possible, having
> utterly no heed of junk popping up in my line of sight constantly.
>
> Any idea what started them up again in plethora style? An update? A
> fluke? A glitch? Hitting the wrong key by accident? ???

Here's nine different popup/balloon disables on one page.
http://personal-computer-tutor.com/abc4/v33/vic33.htm

As for why it started happening - not a clue. I have a WIndows XP machine
that I have been using since it came out (RTM) and it has no
popups/balloons - been that way since I set it up.

Keep your system well maintained? (updates barely scratches the surface of
a well-maintained system.)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Jose

      10th Oct 2009
On Oct 9, 5:19*pm, "JimL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> XP Pro SP3 updated way too more than necessary.
>
> Some weeks ago I suddenly started seeing info baloons EVERYWHERE, all the
> time. *On the desktop, in browsers, etc., etc.
>
> At one time I had turned off as many baloons as possible, having utterly no
> heed of junk popping up in my line of sight constantly.
>
> Any idea what started them up again in plethora style? *An update? *Afluke?
> A glitch? *Hitting the wrong key by accident? *???
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> JimL
>
> The purpose of complicated software is to provide excitement for geeks with
> not enough to do; busy people can go suck eggs. Winstun Churchhill

There are many places balloon type messages can be seen.

Supply your system information, browsers(s) with the issue and some
examples of what you are doing that pops up a balloon tip that you
don't want to see.

Windows cannot tell if you hit a key by accident or on purpose. I
think it will presume you hit a key on purpose.

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

msinfo32

Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select
All, Copy and then paste

There will be some personal information (like System Name and User
Name), and whatever appears to
be private information to you, just delete from the pasted
information.

Reduce the possibility of malicious software:

Download, install, update and do a full scan with these free malware
detection programs:

Malwarebytes (MBAM): http://malwarebytes.org/
SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS): http://www.superantispyware.com/

These can be uninstalled later if desired.

This will minimize back and forth Q&A and eliminate guesswork and
assumptions.

JimL

      13th Oct 2009
"Shenan Stanley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> JimL wrote:
>> XP Pro SP3 updated way too more than necessary.
>>
>> Some weeks ago I suddenly started seeing info baloons EVERYWHERE,
>> all the time. On the desktop, in browsers, etc., etc.
>>
>> At one time I had turned off as many baloons as possible, having
>> utterly no heed of junk popping up in my line of sight constantly.
>>
>> Any idea what started them up again in plethora style? An update? A
>> fluke? A glitch? Hitting the wrong key by accident? ???

> Here's nine different popup/balloon disables on one page.
> http://personal-computer-tutor.com/abc4/v33/vic33.htm

Thanks a lot. This got rid of most of them. I'm still getting some within
programs, but maybe those are program settings I haven't found yet. I'll
run through them again to see if I missed anything.

> Keep your system well maintained? (updates barely scratches the surface
> of a well-maintained system.)

Approximately? Wide anti-malware daily. Secondary anti-virus weekly. Disk
clean and defrag monthly. Look for unused stuff in Add/Remove when I think
about it. I know news and/or email programs just hide a lot of stuff
instead of deleting it but I know of nothing to be done about that.

Suggestions?

--

On Oct 13, 1:02*am, "JimL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Shenan Stanley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > JimL wrote:
> >> XP Pro SP3 updated way too more than necessary.

> >> Some weeks ago I suddenly started seeing info baloons EVERYWHERE,
> >> all the time. *On the desktop, in browsers, etc., etc.

> >> At one time I had turned off as many baloons as possible, having
> >> utterly no heed of junk popping up in my line of sight constantly.

> >> Any idea what started them up again in plethora style? *An update? A
> >> fluke? A glitch? *Hitting the wrong key by accident? *???

> > Here's nine different popup/balloon disables on one page.
> >http://personal-computer-tutor.com/abc4/v33/vic33.htm

> Thanks a lot. *This got rid of most of them. *I'm still getting some within
> programs, but maybe those are program settings I haven't found yet. *I'll
> run through them again to see if I missed anything.
>
> > Keep your system well maintained? *(updates barely scratches the surface
> > of a well-maintained system.)

> Approximately? *Wide anti-malware daily. *Secondary anti-virus weekly.. Disk
> clean *and defrag monthly. *Look for unused stuff in Add/Remove when I think
> about it. *I know news and/or email programs just hide a lot of stuff
> instead of deleting it but I know of nothing to be done about that.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> --
> JimL
>
> The purpose of complicated software is to provide excitement for geeks with
> not enough to do; busy people can go suck eggs. Winstun Churchhill

Are you going to say "where" you get the balloons that you don't want.

"still getting some within programs" leaves room for a lot of
guessing, maybe, etc. and useless message cycles.

JimL

      15th Oct 2009
Sheenan, I have been on a wild goose chase. Said otherwise, I haven't had a
clue what I'm talking about!

See my new thread.

Thanks