PC Review


Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread

Backup of Windows Mail

 
 
Saikat
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      6th Jul 2009

How do I take backup of Windows mail onto an external hard disk or usb drive,
so that i can deleted the same from computer hard disk. Also I should be able
to see / acess these backup emails at a later date
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Anton Pegan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      6th Jul 2009

Hi Saikat,

All Windows Mail emails are stored as separate files in the following
location:
C:\Users\[UserID]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail\Local Folder
By using the Export function in Windows Mail all of them are save/exported
as a separate email and double clicking on the . EML file will open the
message.
By deleting the emails from Windows Mail they will be also deleted from
their folders on the hard disk. You can also at any time drag and drop all
or some of this backed up emails to Windows Mail and read/edit them.

Before trying any of this, please create a backup of the folder mentiond
above.

Kind regards,
Anton Pegan
--

"Saikat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How do I take backup of Windows mail onto an external hard disk or usb
> drive,
> so that i can deleted the same from computer hard disk. Also I should be
> able
> to see / acess these backup emails at a later date



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Gary VanderMolen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      7th Jul 2009

See http://www.staticbackup.com/windows-mail-backup
and download the free version:
http://www.staticbackup.com/downloads.htm

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)


"Saikat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How do I take backup of Windows mail onto an external hard disk or usb drive,
> so that i can deleted the same from computer hard disk. Also I should be able
> to see / acess these backup emails at a later date

 
Reply With Quote
 
GEGE
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10th Jul 2009

If I copy on an external hard disk the entire content of the main directory
Windows Mail where windows mail store messages etc..., can I use this copy
as a backup if needed just by copying back all the files to the original
directory ? Or is a special procedure required to reinitialize or
synchronize something ?
Thanks for the info.

"Anton Pegan" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Saikat,
>
> All Windows Mail emails are stored as separate files in the following
> location:
> C:\Users\[UserID]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail\Local Folder
> By using the Export function in Windows Mail all of them are save/exported
> as a separate email and double clicking on the . EML file will open the
> message.
> By deleting the emails from Windows Mail they will be also deleted from
> their folders on the hard disk. You can also at any time drag and drop all
> or some of this backed up emails to Windows Mail and read/edit them.
>
> Before trying any of this, please create a backup of the folder mentiond
> above.
>
> Kind regards,
> Anton Pegan
> --
>
> "Saikat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> How do I take backup of Windows mail onto an external hard disk or usb
>> drive,
>> so that i can deleted the same from computer hard disk. Also I should be
>> able
>> to see / acess these backup emails at a later date

>
>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Gary VanderMolen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10th Jul 2009

For the most part, yes, that should work. See the detailed procedure here:
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/62...-problems.html
Scroll down to the section "PROBLEM TWO: How to Backup and Reset
Windows Mail ".
Some things are stored in the registry, such as the message rules,
and blocked and safe senders lists.

Frankly, it is much simpler to use a free backup program, see
http://www.staticbackup.com/windows-mail-backup
http://www.staticbackup.com/downloads.htm

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)


"GEGE" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If I copy on an external hard disk the entire content of the main directory
> Windows Mail where windows mail store messages etc..., can I use this copy
> as a backup if needed just by copying back all the files to the original
> directory ? Or is a special procedure required to reinitialize or
> synchronize something ?
> Thanks for the info.
>
> "Anton Pegan" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi Saikat,
>>
>> All Windows Mail emails are stored as separate files in the following
>> location:
>> C:\Users\[UserID]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail\Local Folder
>> By using the Export function in Windows Mail all of them are save/exported
>> as a separate email and double clicking on the . EML file will open the
>> message.
>> By deleting the emails from Windows Mail they will be also deleted from
>> their folders on the hard disk. You can also at any time drag and drop all
>> or some of this backed up emails to Windows Mail and read/edit them.
>>
>> Before trying any of this, please create a backup of the folder mentiond
>> above.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Anton Pegan
>> --
>>
>> "Saikat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> How do I take backup of Windows mail onto an external hard disk or usb
>>> drive,
>>> so that i can deleted the same from computer hard disk. Also I should be
>>> able
>>> to see / acess these backup emails at a later date

>>
>>
>>

>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Jesharelah
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      29th Jul 2009
I downloaded the "Free" version, but it offers you nothing. You can look at
what it could do, but there is no ability to actually use the product. It
reminds me of the thousands of other programs that claim to be free but are
only a venue to advertise their product.

"Gary VanderMolen" wrote:

> See http://www.staticbackup.com/windows-mail-backup
> and download the free version:
> http://www.staticbackup.com/downloads.htm
>
> --
> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)
>
>
> "Saikat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > How do I take backup of Windows mail onto an external hard disk or usb drive,
> > so that i can deleted the same from computer hard disk. Also I should be able
> > to see / acess these backup emails at a later date

>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Gary VanderMolen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      29th Jul 2009
Very strange! I used the free version just a few days ago to copy
Windows Mail data and settings to a new Windows 7 partition.
Try the non-free version. I believe it has a 20-day free trial period.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)


"Jesharelah" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I downloaded the "Free" version, but it offers you nothing. You can look at
> what it could do, but there is no ability to actually use the product. It
> reminds me of the thousands of other programs that claim to be free but are
> only a venue to advertise their product.
>
> "Gary VanderMolen" wrote:
>
>> See http://www.staticbackup.com/windows-mail-backup
>> and download the free version:
>> http://www.staticbackup.com/downloads.htm
>>
>> --
>> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)
>>
>>
>> "Saikat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > How do I take backup of Windows mail onto an external hard disk or usb drive,
>> > so that i can deleted the same from computer hard disk. Also I should be able
>> > to see / acess these backup emails at a later date

>>

 
Reply With Quote
 
New Member
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3
 
      14th May 2011
For mail backup, you could use MailStore which lets you take a backup of all your email accounts(gmail, thunderbird, outlook, yahoo ) into a USB drive. Also, it can be unzipped directly in to USB, so you can plug the usb in any machine, open the program from USB and tadaaa you have all your mail.


http://www.skipser.toolsbysk.com/p/2...ve-easily.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: Backup, backup, backup.... Grumps Computer Hardware 0 4th Apr 2008 10:54 AM
Windows mail backup using Windows Backup and Restore Center =?Utf-8?B?amFubmVz?= Windows Vista Mail 0 16th Oct 2007 04:02 PM
How do I backup and restore my mail and contacts in Windows Mail? =?Utf-8?B?Qm9iIEMu?= Windows Vista Mail 3 16th Aug 2007 08:07 AM
Windows Backup won't backup all files Rene Ruppert Windows XP Help 1 14th Feb 2005 11:35 PM
Can Windows XP Pro Backup Program Backup Data Files to a Second HD? Sam Windows XP General 1 15th Mar 2004 01:01 AM


Features
 

Advertising
 

Newsgroups
 


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:40 AM.