Backup / Transfer Files and Settings / How to Move Apps and Registry Settings

SQLNow

      25th Jul 2005
I want to move all of my applications that are currently on my computer
after I reload the Windows XP due to an un-resolvable network driver and
possible Windows Winsock corruption problem (Which I have posted here).

I really hate the thought of having to re-install all my applications one by
one.

Is there a backup / restore / Transfer Files and Settings / in Windows XP to
do this?

Thanks!

Carey Frisch [MVP]

      25th Jul 2005
No. You must reinstall your programs using the original
installation media before using the Transfer Wizard.

Using the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ovember12.mspx

HOW TO: Use Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=winxp

List of Programs Whose Settings Are Migrated When You Use
the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];304903

Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...xp/choose.mspx

"SQLNow" wrote:

| I want to move all of my applications that are currently on my computer
| after I reload the Windows XP due to an un-resolvable network driver and
| possible Windows Winsock corruption problem (Which I have posted here).
|
| I really hate the thought of having to re-install all my applications one by
| one.
|
| Is there a backup / restore / Transfer Files and Settings / in Windows XP to
| do this?
|
| Thanks!

SQLNow

      25th Jul 2005
So is it better to do a complete backup? Can you selectively restore
applications that way? Otherwise backup is useless in this situation. I
probably need an application to move applications.

Barry

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OMP47$(E-Mail Removed)...
> No. You must reinstall your programs using the original
> installation media before using the Transfer Wizard.
>
> Using the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in Windows XP
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ovember12.mspx
>
> HOW TO: Use Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=winxp
>
> List of Programs Whose Settings Are Migrated When You Use
> the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];304903
>
> Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
> http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...xp/choose.mspx

> "SQLNow" wrote:
>
> | I want to move all of my applications that are currently on my computer
> | after I reload the Windows XP due to an un-resolvable network driver and
> | possible Windows Winsock corruption problem (Which I have posted here).
> |
> | I really hate the thought of having to re-install all my applications
> one by
> | one.
> |
> | Is there a backup / restore / Transfer Files and Settings / in Windows
> XP to
> | do this?
> |
> | Thanks!

Rock

      26th Jul 2005
SQLNow wrote:

> I want to move all of my applications that are currently on my computer
> after I reload the Windows XP due to an un-resolvable network driver and
> possible Windows Winsock corruption problem (Which I have posted here).
>
> I really hate the thought of having to re-install all my applications one by
> one.
>
> Is there a backup / restore / Transfer Files and Settings / in Windows XP to
> do this?
>
> Thanks!

No effective way to move applications from one installation to the other
except for reinstalling on the new system from the original media.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User