Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) Fix

chris

      22nd Jun 2006
I spent hours on this so I hope it helps those that haven't found a
solution elsewhere.

I kept getting the message "Windows could not start the Background
Intelligent Transfer Service on local computer" .......-2147024891

I tried the fixes about deleting the folder C:\Documents and
Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader

Tried a batch file that ran regsvr32 on a long list of .dll files.

I made sure other services like RPC were running.

It still wouldn't work.

One of my favorite tools to use is FileMon from sysinernals. services
are run by the program
svchost.exe. I set filemon to only show me the results from this. I
started capturing data when i tried to start the service again and
stopped capturing once I got the message. (if you have ever used
filemon, you know how much the screen can fill up.) The nice thing with
filemon is you can filter successful events and errors. I left them all
in for this time.

I did capture a few errors. When it was trying to start the service, it
was getting Access Denied. It wasn't trying to run them from the normal
path. Somehow this system got the All Users App data path changed to
our users drive on the network.

so instead of C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader, I was seeing

\\usersvr\joeblow\application data\microsoft\network\downloader
ACESS DENIED

(Btw, We use scriptlogic for logins and I belive this change was due to
a test I had tried to redirect this folder.)

Since i was logged in as myself, the path I was seeing in error wasn't
due to a system variable based on user. I knew I should have no
trouble finding this in the registry.

I found the path at 2 places,
HKLM\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\EXPLORER\SHELL
FOLDERS\COMMON APPDATA

this one should be C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data

The other was in

HKLM\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\EXPLORER\USER SHELL
FOLDERS\COMMON APPDATA

this one should be %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data

Once I made those changes, I rebooted and tried running BITS again, all
is well.

=?Utf-8?B?RVNQ?=

      12th Sep 2006
Same issue on a home machine that got screwed up !
ESP