A baby step forward? CMOS settings...(update on HD not spinning)...

kony

      25th Aug 2003
On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 07:51:23 -0700, "lorraine" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Okay, I confess. I tried the freezer trick on the hard drive. When I plugged
>it in this morning, I an error message stating that my CMOS settings were
>incorrect. This is the first time I've gotten anything but a "HDD controller
>error". This is an older processor w/o auto-detect. I've looked for the CMOS
>settings online and got two different sets. One is cylinders 1023
> heads 256
> sectors 63
>
>The other is cylinders 16383
> heads 16
> sectors 63
>
>Neither has any setting for LZone or WritePre
>
>For some reason on the first set of values, I'm not able to enter 256, I
>just get a beep and it won't accept that value.
>
>So, I've popped the sucker back in the freezer....boy, that puppy started
>getting dewy fast and then I started getting the "HDD controller error"
>again. I'm considering just putting it into my processor since I do have the
>auto-detect but I hate to chance screwing up my "good" computer.
>
>Thoughts???

It won't get "dewy" if you don't let it contact outside air. You
might keep it semi-sealed in a plastic bag, which you've removed most
of the air from by sliding in a straw and sucking the rest out, taping
around the IDE and power cable, or wedge it in-between some big slabs
of foam.

Dave

lorraine

      25th Aug 2003
[...]

Oh yeah, I don't know that I ever mentioned the noise this HD makes. It's
like a two toned humming. Maybe five seconds of a higher pitched hum and
five seconds of a lower pitched hum, just keeps alternating.

"lorraine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Okay, I confess. I tried the freezer trick on the hard drive. When I

plugged
> it in this morning, I an error message stating that my CMOS settings were
> incorrect. This is the first time I've gotten anything but a "HDD

controller
> error". This is an older processor w/o auto-detect. I've looked for the

CMOS
> settings online and got two different sets. One is cylinders 1023
> heads 256
> sectors 63
>
> The other is cylinders 16383
> heads 16
> sectors 63
>
> Neither has any setting for LZone or WritePre
>
> For some reason on the first set of values, I'm not able to enter 256, I
> just get a beep and it won't accept that value.
>
> So, I've popped the sucker back in the freezer....boy, that puppy started
> getting dewy fast and then I started getting the "HDD controller error"
> again. I'm considering just putting it into my processor since I do have

the
> auto-detect but I hate to chance screwing up my "good" computer.
>
> Thoughts???

Graham

      25th Aug 2003
Its on it way to its maker. If its under warranty return it ASAP.
If its still running get the info off it as soon as possible. If you
run the diagnostic from the HD manufacturer, do not let it 'FIX' the
drive. It will almost certainly fail shortly afterwards. As I learned
to my cost!
In short, been there, read the book.......

regards
Graham