AVI codec problems

=?Utf-8?B?S2ltaTIzMg==?=

      11th Jul 2006
I'm very new at this, and I'm sorry if I posted this question in the wrong
place.
I have a AVI movie file, and I'm trying to import it, but it comes up and
stops me with a codec error message. I have the download codec's
automatically but it hasn't.. And when I goto help and click on it to goto
the microsoft site, it doesn't do anything....... But I'm wondering how do I
get the codec to make it import my AVI movie file..

Thanks in advanced.

=?Utf-8?B?S2ltaTIzMg==?=

      11th Jul 2006
The error message I get is:
"The file C:\Documents and Settings\Angel\Desktop\Serial Experiments Lain -
Layer 04 - Religion.avi cannot be imported because the codec required to play
the file is not installed on your computer. If you have already tried to
download and install the codec, close and restart Windows Movie Maker, and
then try to import the file again."

and restarting the program doesn't help.

"Kimi232" wrote:

> I'm very new at this, and I'm sorry if I posted this question in the wrong
> place.
> I have a AVI movie file, and I'm trying to import it, but it comes up and
> stops me with a codec error message. I have the download codec's
> automatically but it hasn't.. And when I goto help and click on it to goto
> the microsoft site, it doesn't do anything....... But I'm wondering how do I
> get the codec to make it import my AVI movie file..
>
> Thanks in advanced.

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

      12th Jul 2006
First of all we need to find out with which codec this AVI file was encoded.
Download and install G-Spot Codec Identifier from
http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

Analyze the file and find out if it's DIVX (available at www.divx.com) or
XVID (www.xvidmovies.org) and then get the correct codec.
--