Avast Internet Suite

Rex's Mom

      10th Jul 2011
I am currently running Avast Free 6 and ZoneAlarm (probably need a new
firewall app).
I need to re-register my Avast Free and they are offering a discount on
the Internet Suite.
Read some reviews and they appear to be mixed.
So...dear posters, what's the opinion - add (& pay for) Internet Suite
or just stick with what I have?

BTW, discovered that Avast 6 added some features which I was not even
aware of and therefore have not customized.

TIA
--

Rex's Mom

Shadow

      10th Jul 2011
On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 08:56:55 -0400, Rex's Mom wrote:

> I am currently running Avast Free 6 and ZoneAlarm (probably need a new
> firewall app).

If you are using firefox, noscript and adblock plus are good add-
ons.
> I need to re-register my Avast Free and they are offering a discount on
> the Internet Suite.
> Read some reviews and they appear to be mixed.
> So...dear posters, what's the opinion - add (& pay for) Internet Suite
> or just stick with what I have?

I just run the file and heuristics shield.(first and last in the
shields options). Avast is pretty slow in updating it's database, so do
not click on everything you download. Send anything suspicious to
virustotal or jotti. Anything with a score of 2 or more upload to
www.uploadmalware.com
No reason to run web scanners, email scanners, etc. as far as I
can see. Maybe someone will correct me.

> BTW, discovered that Avast 6 added some features which I was not even
> aware of and therefore have not customized.

[]'s

s|b

      10th Jul 2011
On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 08:56:55 -0400, Rex's Mom wrote:

> I am currently running Avast Free 6 and ZoneAlarm (probably need a new
> firewall app).

Try Free Online Armor, but disable the WebShield since avast! will take
care of that.

> I need to re-register my Avast Free and they are offering a discount on
> the Internet Suite.
> Read some reviews and they appear to be mixed.
> So...dear posters, what's the opinion - add (& pay for) Internet Suite
> or just stick with what I have?

Why pay if you can have for free? Register again for avast! Free
Antivirus and you can use it for free for a year long. Next year, do the
same.

--
s|b

Sir_George

      10th Jul 2011
Rex's Mom wrote:

> I am currently running Avast Free 6 and ZoneAlarm (probably need a
> new firewall app). I need to re-register my Avast Free and they are
> offering a discount on the Internet Suite. Read some reviews and
> they appear to be mixed. So...dear posters, what's the opinion - add
> (& pay for) Internet Suite or just stick with what I have?
>
> BTW, discovered that Avast 6 added some features which I was not even
> aware of and therefore have not customized.
>
> TIA

I have found that a suite is generally less effective than using
separate vendors software for each process and memory usage seems to
increase significantly with an application suite versus separate apps.

There is really no reason to use a 3rd party firewall as long as you
are using a Windows version which includes the MS firewall.

This is strictly my opinion, not related to anything else...other
opinions may/will vary depending on personal preference.

--
Sir_George

Rex's Mom

      10th Jul 2011
On 07/10/11 8:56 AM, Rex's Mom wrote:
> I am currently running Avast Free 6 and ZoneAlarm (probably need a new
> firewall app).
> I need to re-register my Avast Free and they are offering a discount on
> the Internet Suite.
> Read some reviews and they appear to be mixed.
> So...dear posters, what's the opinion - add (& pay for) Internet Suite
> or just stick with what I have?
>
> BTW, discovered that Avast 6 added some features which I was not even
> aware of and therefore have not customized.
>
> TIA

Thank you all for your input...I will go forward with JUST the free version.

--

Rex's Mom

Rich Webb

      10th Jul 2011
On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 11:49:37 -0400, Rex's Mom <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On 07/10/11 8:56 AM, Rex's Mom wrote:
>> I am currently running Avast Free 6 and ZoneAlarm (probably need a new
>> firewall app).
>> I need to re-register my Avast Free and they are offering a discount on
>> the Internet Suite.
>> Read some reviews and they appear to be mixed.
>> So...dear posters, what's the opinion - add (& pay for) Internet Suite
>> or just stick with what I have?
>>
>> BTW, discovered that Avast 6 added some features which I was not even
>> aware of and therefore have not customized.
>>
>> TIA

>Thank you all for your input...I will go forward with JUST the free version.

But consider switching from ZoneAlarm to Comodo's free firewall. After
running Comodo for quite a while, I had some issues[*] that prompted me
to uninstall Comodo and try ZA. I had used it (paid version) years ago
but after trying it again, I was pretty eager to go back to Comodo. YMMV
[*] Turned out not to be firewall related. Some dummy (raises hand) had
made some changes to the host file that cause Bad Things to happen.

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

howie32@who.cares.netizen

      10th Jul 2011
On 10 Jul 2011 15:01:28 GMT, "Sir_George" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Rex's Mom wrote:
>
>> I am currently running Avast Free 6 and ZoneAlarm (probably need a
>> new firewall app). I need to re-register my Avast Free and they are
>> offering a discount on the Internet Suite. Read some reviews and
>> they appear to be mixed. So...dear posters, what's the opinion - add
>> (& pay for) Internet Suite or just stick with what I have?
>>
>> BTW, discovered that Avast 6 added some features which I was not even
>> aware of and therefore have not customized.
>>
>> TIA

>I have found that a suite is generally less effective than using
>separate vendors software for each process and memory usage seems to
>increase significantly with an application suite versus separate apps.
>
>There is really no reason to use a 3rd party firewall as long as you
>are using a Windows version which includes the MS firewall.
>
>This is strictly my opinion, not related to anything else...other
>opinions may/will vary depending on personal preference.

I also gave up on those "extra firewalls." I found them a pain in
arse over the years. I finally said to hell with them and went with
Win XP's own firewall. That with the paid for version of AVG AV, MVPS
Host file and common sense has kept me free of viral problems for some
years now. Of course, if you don't think before you click, *nothing*
is going to save you.

Jackson

      11th Jul 2011
On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 13:48:40 -0400, Rich Webb
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 11:49:37 -0400, Rex's Mom <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>On 07/10/11 8:56 AM, Rex's Mom wrote:
>>> I am currently running Avast Free 6 and ZoneAlarm (probably need a new
>>> firewall app).
>>> I need to re-register my Avast Free and they are offering a discount on
>>> the Internet Suite.
>>> Read some reviews and they appear to be mixed.
>>> So...dear posters, what's the opinion - add (& pay for) Internet Suite
>>> or just stick with what I have?
>>>
>>> BTW, discovered that Avast 6 added some features which I was not even
>>> aware of and therefore have not customized.
>>>
>>> TIA

>>Thank you all for your input...I will go forward with JUST the free version.

>But consider switching from ZoneAlarm to Comodo's free firewall. After
>running Comodo for quite a while, I had some issues[*] that prompted me
>to uninstall Comodo and try ZA. I had used it (paid version) years ago
>but after trying it again, I was pretty eager to go back to Comodo. YMMV
>
>[*] Turned out not to be firewall related. Some dummy (raises hand) had
>made some changes to the host file that cause Bad Things to happen.

I prefer Zone Alarm because of the little active icon that
it puts down in the date/time area of the desktop. The icon
shows you when your computer is receiving data and, equally
important, when your computer is transmitting data.

Jack from Taxacola (formerly Pensacola), FL
(E-Mail Removed) dele XXX